What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL39 antenna

Just bought a GDL39 and will be using with an AERA660. I don't want to leave the GDL on the glare shield. Wil The Ted ADSB antenna work or do I have to use a "blade" antenna as the book says? Also will a Sirus XM antenna work for the GPS portion or will it get its signal from the 660?

I just connected my GDL-39 to a Delta Pop 978 mhz blade but a 1090 or 978 (slightly longer) "spike" will work fine. Not sure about the 660 sending GPS to the GDL-39.

Last edited:
Just bought a GDL39 and will be using with an AERA660. I don't want to leave the GDL on the glare shield. Wil The Ted ADSB antenna work or do I have to use a "blade" antenna as the book says? Also will a Sirus XM antenna work for the GPS portion or will it get its signal from the 660?

Hello Pietdriver,

I have been using a GDL 39R and then a GDL 52R with a bottom mounted TED type antenna for many years and this antenna works great to receive ADS-B traffic and weather.

I have never tried to convert a portable GDL 39 to a remote mount unit with an external antenna, but the electronics are the same as the GDL 39R, so it should work fine if done correctly.

The GDL 39/39R and all the newer GDL 5X series units will use the GPS data provided by the Aera 660 whether connected via RS-232 or Bluetooth and never use their internal GPS receiver.

Thanks,
Steve

Back