What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight on tailwheel? 7's ONLY PLEASE...

cjensen

Well Known Member
I'm playing with my weight and balance calculator, and I need some data points to get an average weight on the tailwheel of the 7. Other models won't help in this case, so if anyone could post the weight you had on your scale JUST for the tailwheel ONLY for RV-7's, I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!!!

Chad, weighted mine last week for my inspection next week. Only thing aft of seats is the Trio altitude servo. 62 lbs. O-360, Constant speed, no vac, 3 steam guages the rest glass.

O-320 FP Sensenich RV7

Just weighed mine too...

Tail came in at 73lbs! That's heavy compared to others and my plane is pretty barebones in the back.

The O-320 lower weight on the nose doesn't help any.

Left- 509
Right-519
empty arm- 81.18
empty weight- 1101 lbs

Thanks everyone!! Keep 'em comin'! jcmc...that's a great data point for me since I plan a 320 (maybe 340). I've been using the heavier average because of this.

THANKS!! Any more 320 powered 7's???

If I were to do it over....

I'd get the O-360 instead of the O-320 or the O-340.

Just not enough weight up front to use the full W&B spectrum. Atleast with the O-360 you get the benefit of the extra HP versus dead weight like I'm considering.

I'd still go for the FP for simplicity and cost.

A CS prop would help with the weight, but it too has it's costs.

My RV7 still flies great any way you land it (in one piece).

Wooden Prop. Aft C of G.

81lb.
MT Composite CS Prop, Oregon Aero Leather Seats and Classic Aero Interior all conspired to move the C of AG Aft.
Lovely light elevator forces, but limited Baggage weight.

Pete.

I'd get the O-360 instead of the O-320 or the O-340.

Just not enough weight up front to use the full W&B spectrum. Atleast with the O-360 you get the benefit of the extra HP versus dead weight like I'm considering.

I'd still go for the FP for simplicity and cost.

A CS prop would help with the weight, but it too has it's costs.

My RV7 still flies great any way you land it (in one piece).

Don't want to get to far away from the point of this thread, but I've already ordered the mount for a 320. I made this choice knowing that it is non-returnable, and non-refundable to Van's. They made this very clear up front.

I'm going for a lightweight, and if I go with a 340, I'll get 177hp carb'd, or 185hp FI (actually dyno'd at 188hp). I'd just like to see a few flying before I buy one...

I've run all kinds of numbers, and all kinds of scenario's in the last two days, and I can only come up with a couple or rare instances where CG will be aft on landing. The CG range is really pretty good on the 7, even with a lighter engine up front.:cool:

Chad, great question!

I don't have a calculator, however I am really interested in hearing from the other end of the spectrum.

I am planning the heaviest of the heavyweights; the IO-390. Pretty much the opposite end of the scale compared to Chad.

Could owners of IO-360-A1B6's and IO-390's chime in here too?

I am really interested in those numbers and most of all, how it feels in the flare! Do you think it's TOO heavy? How is it on the gear? Does it go BANG when you taxi over a dime?

:confused: CJ

I have a -7 with a H2AD 0-320 with the sensenich or the catto with heavy plate i'm 118# on the tail wheel yes it is alot

the palne is all painted with more paint on the tail because of the design checkers base coat clear coat

the plane before paint had an aft cg but within range the biggest thing is i can't put much in the baggage area the plane flyies fast and is fun with on'y 160 hp

the biggest thing is you have to be a little attentive on final

BUT since i installed th catto prop i find that i controls even better at slow flight then the sensenich

ken in maine

I'm no ace- and I wanted ALL the baggage wt I can get, you just accept a little higher landing speed, not too many 3pt landings, a little longer landing roll out- otherwise no problem. My mission is also HIGHLY dependent on using the baggage area ALOT with precious cargo.

My Catto 3 blade should be waiting for me when I get back into town. I'll let you know how that affects the RV7 with an O-320 as well.

your plane will fly great- it's a Vans Aircraft!

56 lbs. in level attitude, unpainted. IO-360 parallel valve, 2 blade composite MT counterweighted prop which weighs 37 lbs, I think. For me my CG is in about the perfect position, nearly impossible to get out of limits and within acro limits with no baggage. I do wish the plane was lighter though.

as i hav indicated in a prior post mine is heavy on the tail wiht 1550 hours on the engine 160 hp ( heck i only paid $3500 bucks for the engine) it flys fine captain john has flown it it is fast but doesn't climb as good as others hp makes a difference the big disadvantage is not much baggage and slightly higher landing speed but with my catto prop (was sensenich) it lads at a slower speed

With that beging said the cost of the (i)0320/360 is alsmost the same( in airplane talk $1000.00 dosen't mean much) why not a 360. the biggest cost differance is the prop cost.

If money was not an issue it would be the 200/210 hp with a two bladed constant speed prop but like most people money is

ken in maine

Weight on tailwheel? 7's ONLY PLEASE...

I found a big difference between having the airframe leveled out with the tail up on a support and the weight of the tailwheel when it is down at ground level. If I remember, 110 lbs down and 75 lbs up. Certainly makes sense, though, it was always heavier when lifting it from the ground. Especially full of fuel. Hartzell C/S, heavy paint & upholstery, Skyview and EarthX on firewall. I did put my toolbox (Van's practice toolbox) attached to the hump forward between occupants legs. However weight measurements are empty of all stuff.

71 lbs.

IO-360 M1B, CS, Full glass, heavy paint/interior, vac pad b/u alternator, Odyssey battery on firewall.

O-320 mount

I remember reading on here years ago that the 0-320 mount on the -7 actually positions the motor a couple of inches further forward then the 0-360 mount to account for the lower weight and help the W&B. Was pitched as a possible W&B solution for the 0-360 crowd with light weight props (like me) rather than adding heavy spacer etc. Do not know if this is actually the case.

Steve Ingraham (RVBYSDI) has a 340 on his 9A with a 3 blade Catto and loves the combination, he is running the same prop as I have on the 0-360 and his 9 really performs.

The light weight -7 W&B issues with the baggage compartment are all manageable with loading technique and fuel burn management, a saber prop spacer and crush plate can also help.

Figs

67lbs with an IO-360-A1A and Whirlwind 200RV prop. Very happy with CG location. Likes to wheel-land, 3 pointers not so much.

71.6 # on the tail. CG 80.6. YIO-360-M1B, MT 3 blade, AFS quick panel, a/p servos, Classic Aero interior, paint/vinyl, pants.

Back