What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

This Can't Be Right?!?

asw20c

Well Known Member
On page 14-02, step three, it says to dimple the lower flanges of all the wing ribs. I've been reading ahead to see where the plans say to finish dimpling the upper flanges, but that doesn't come until page 16-02. How can that be? The ribs get riveted to the spar back on page 14-07. It would be so much easier to dimple the upper flange of the ribs using the DRDT-2, but of course that is impossible if the ribs are riveted to the spar. Surely this is a mistake?

Surely this is a mistake?

And don't call me Shirley.

2u71sgk.jpg

Match drilling. If I remember you need to fit the skin and match drill first. The rib holes are undersized.
Plans call for countersinks in wing walkway area. I dimpled my inboard ribs so I dimpled the support skin and wing skin as well. Still worked out a neat job and is probably stronger due to the inherent strengthening dimpled skins provide.
There is a lot of clecoing with the skins. Wings are quite boring and repetitive.

Match drilling. If I remember you need to fit the skin and match drill first. The rib holes are undersized.

I was curious about this when I read this section - seems the only holes that are match drilled are at the wing walk doublers? 16-02 step 2. It calls to directly debur and dimple the skin and the ribs with no final or match drilling.

Can I take it then that pre-punched holes don't always have to be final drilled?

Seems like the note in the gotchas makes sense so long as you don't dimple the wing walk ribs?

Can I take it then that pre-punched holes don't always have to be final drilled?

Yes, but the plans are written in a way that is having you final drill the holes in the rib flanges because they are RV-10 ribs which aren't punched to final size.

Plans call for countersinks in wing walkway area. I dimpled my inboard ribs so I dimpled the support skin and wing skin as well. Still worked out a neat job and is probably stronger due to the inherent strengthening dimpled skins provide.

+1 vote for dimpling instead of countersinking. I dimpled the wing walks on my RV-8A and had no issues. I got my -14 wings partially assembled by the original builder and the wing walk area had been countersunk per the plans and looked awful. I'm not just talking about aesthetics (it will be covered by the non-skid material) but a lot of the holes were elongated, rivet heads too deep or too shallow or cocked at an angle, etc. I finally drilled out the inboard wing skins and replaced with new skins, wing walk doublers, and inboard ribs. Dimpled everything and they look way better and will be stronger with less likelihood of fretting rivets as the years go by.

My personal rule is to always dimple instead of countersinking wherever possible. I also dimpled the rear tank baffle on the -14. Looks way better than the countersunk rivets on the baffles of my -8A. Assembly was super easy and no leaks in either tank.

YMMV...

Back