What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coupling Dynon legacy d100/120 to Garmin GTNX50 Question

Hartstoc

Well Known Member
I’m hoping someone out there can offer advice/experience with adding new Garmin Navigator capabilities to an existing legacy Dynon system.

I’m really quite happy with my fully populated Dynon D100/D120 combo with AOA, AP-74 and Dynon autopilot, but I really need to address the issues of adsb in/out and precision GPS approach capabilities.

I’m ready to bite the bullet and install a GTN750 with the remote GTX345R and Flightstream 510 . I fly with a 10.5”iPad Pro running ForeFlight Pro, and this Garmin combo would allow beautiful integration of the iPad with these Garmin products incuding full adsb, flight planning and WiFi updating. I’d just like to do it without replacing the Dynon components if I can.

If I understand correctly, with the addition of a Dynon HS-34 would allow the Dynon EFIS to display a fully coupled HSI with VNAV during precision GPS approaches, and also coupling of the autopilot for HNAV, but that there may be no way to couple the autopilot for VNAV during approaches. I could live with that.

A alternative might be to also install one or two G5’s and leave the Dynon glass in place but out of the navigation loop, but I’m not even sure if both axis of my generation of Dynon autopilot could then be coupled into that combination.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated- Otis

Otis,
I currently fly with the D-100/D-120, GTN 650, iPad pro. But I have HS34 and TruTrak autopilot. I am very happy with this setup.
Precision approaches are displayed on HSI and the Trutrak flies the LOC and GS very well on GPS approaches. I am not sure how the Dynon autopilot will handle this, but it will probably work just fine.
The HS34 may be necessary and has nice features anyway.

Otis,
I currently fly with the D-100/D-120, GTN 650, iPad pro. But I have HS34 and TruTrak autopilot. I am very happy with this setup.
Precision approaches are displayed on HSI and the Trutrak flies the LOC and GS very well on GPS approaches. I am not sure how the Dynon autopilot will handle this, but it will probably work just fine.
The HS34 may be necessary and has nice features anyway.

Thanks, Ken- I think that gives me a good plan?A? to try.- Otis

Probably for similar dollars you could install a 625 or 659 instead of the 750 and upgrade your EFIS to the Dynon Skyview HDX or AFS5600 and you would get the full Nav capability. You could get the remote transponder and ads-b fr substantially less than the 345, and could get the WiFi for either screen for hugely less than the Flightstream. Give me a call or drop me an email and I can help you figure out some numbers.

+1 on Jesse?s note.

There is no reason to buy the Garmin 750 over the 650. The value of these boxes is the TSO certified navigator, and both have the same. While the larger 750 display is at best functional, when compared to a real EFIS the Garmin displays pale in comparison as you have all your approach information on the SkyView. Take the saving and install a new SkyView system to go with the 650. You are doing all the pain of a panel upgrade anyway. The SkyView integration makes all this a simple plug and play evolution.

Get the SkyView transponder as well. Again - plug and play.

One comment - I caution against any reliance on an iPad for IFR. It is a fine flight planing tool and third GPS backup, but does not have a place on the panel for IFR. Once you see the integrated SkyView moving map with ADS-B and TIS data, I suspect your iPad will spend more time in the flight bag.

Carl

Carl and Jesse offer good advice and I will eventually upgrade my panel to a current generation EFIS. And as Carl suggests the mounting of the ipad is an issue. I have mine mounted on a ram mount on the side "deck" of my -6 with an air vent cooling it from behind. It is kind of an extension of my panel. Getting it mounted appropriately was a game changer. It works very well and I fly ifr without reservation. I also have considerable redundancy in the panel. The only things I depend on the ipad for are app plates and ifr low level charts. I also carry an iphone which provides another sources for these.
I would upgrade my panel now if I were willing to take the plane out of service long enough to do it and stop progress on my RV-10 project.

Hope this adds some useful perspective.

Thanks for all this excellent food for thought. Life would be easier if Dynon had managed to design the skyview system to receive connectors from the D-series products in a plug and play fashion, but I appreciate that they had good reasons.

I do agree with Ken that proper mounting of the iPad is key, and fortunately the 10.5? pro is an excellent sunlight readable source for mapping and plates, especially if it is receiving valid GPS and attitude information. Mine is on a sturdy ram mount in landscape on the right side of my 7A?s panel, canted directly toward my line of sight and giving my entire panel a ?wraparound? quality. I carry a fully charged backup 9.7? pro when travelling, and feel that having the solid capabilities of Foreflight independent of aircraft systems could save one?s behind.

Based on all of the comments, whatever I do I?m going to be sure to preserve the option of switching to skyview later if not sooner.-

Back