What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT dash panel switch

Is one of these required? If not what if anything is required?
Thanks

The ELT must be installed IAW the manufacturer's instructions to comply with regulations. If the instructions call for the remote panel unit (and I believe they all do) then it must be installed per the installation instructions.

Mel just as clarification. Would that mean you couldn't use one manufacturer's switch with another manufacturer's ELT even if they would work electrically?

Short answer is that ONLY the equipment called up in the approved installation manual may be used to form an approved installation. No substitutions are allowed.

Why? Because the ELT manufacturer did their TSO testing with their own equipment, not the equipment manufactured by a competitor. As a result, the TSO approval of their equipment is just that, approval of their equipment. Sometimes a manufacturer will list several different compatible antennas, sometimes with the manufacturer and manufacturer's part number referenced. Those are just about the only exceptions to this rule, except they are not exceptions because they are clearly documented in the installation manual as being acceptable alternates.

BTW there is only one ELT of which I'm aware which is approved for installation without a remote mounted cockpit control/indication device. That's the EBC 406 series, made by Emergency Beacon Corp. They are only approved for use without a cockpit controller if the ELT itself is mounted in a location immediately accessible to the flight crew in flight. In our little 2-seat airplanes, that means accessible to the pilot since the other seat is a passenger seat in our single-crew aircraft (unless your ops lims specifically state your aircraft requires 2 crew members, which would be a rather rare corner case if ever there was one! lol).

Short answer is that ONLY the equipment called up in the approved installation manual may be used to form an approved installation. No substitutions are allowed.

Strictly speaking, that includes following the installation instructions, too. To the best of my knowledge there are no TSO approved instruction manuals allowing the installation of ?hidden? antennas, whether for ELTs or TSO approved GPS used for ifr. So far, the faa seems not to care, but in the future....?

I also think the new TSO (C-126) for the 406 ELTs added the requirement for an audible warning as well as the visual warning on the little panel box.

Thanks, I was questioning this because I have flown a lot of planes in years past that did not have a panel switch panel. They might have them now. I was just wishing I did not have to use up panel space for this.

Thanks, I was questioning this because I have flown a lot of planes in years past that did not have a panel switch panel. They might have them now. I was just wishing I did not have to use up panel space for this.

It doesn't have to be on the panel. Just has to be within view and reach of pilot.

The way the rules were written, if you had an older ELT without a panel switch, you could continue to use it to satisfy the FARs. But if or when you needed to replace that ELT, or you were installing one for the first time in a new airplane, then you had to upgrade to one with the panel switch.

My ELT is an ACK, and the panel switch/warning light is pretty small. You can put it almost anywhere you have a little space, even at the top where you might not have enough depth for anything else.

ELT Antenna

Is the antenna just for the 121.5 transmission or does it send out the 406 signal as well? I want to use a different antenna for my composite aircraft that does not require a ground plane but want to know what the antenna is being used for.

Is the antenna just for the 121.5 transmission or does it send out the 406 signal as well? I want to use a different antenna for my composite aircraft that does not require a ground plane but want to know what the antenna is being used for.

Short answer = YES - in most instances we will commonly see in our GA airplanes, a common antenna is used for 406 & 121.5 transmissions.

Your plan to use a different antenna in your composite aircraft is a plan you should scrap. See posts above. Follow the installation manual. If the antenna you wish to use is not called up in the installation manual by part number then it is not usable. This is one of those situations that's pretty cut-and-dried.

As far as composite airplanes and ground planes, shoot me a pvt message to discuss further as that discussion would not be germane to this aluminum airplane forum. Let me know what airplane you have, which antennas/radios you're thinking of installing and I'll provide some suggestions.

Interesting old thread. I was kicking around the idea of substituting a DIY switch/light instead of the manufacturer's TSO'ed remote ELT switch, which is big and doesn't fit the aesthetic of my panel. This discussion pretty much puts that idea into retirement.

It doesn't have to be on the panel. Just has to be within view and reach of pilot.

This might be an avenue worth exploring. I'd be interested in learning the exact requirement. TSO C126b references document RTCA DO-204a which might contain the details, however I'm having difficulty locating this document online. Is there a free PDF anywhere?

Ryan - which ELT are you planning on installing? Check the installation manual specific to that ELT. Only the switch/control panels detailed in the manual are approved for installation. I know you understand that part but I thought I would emphasize it because some ELTs can be fitted with specific discrete switches/LED modules rather than a fully integrated remote control panel (the Kannad 406 Compact comes immediately to mind).

Also with respect to mounting the remote control panel, it must be in sight / reach of the pilot. That means direct sight / direct reach. Not "flip open the glove box, remove the maps, use a dime to undo the quarter turn fastener that hides the control panel" kind of installation.

The remote control panel is pretty small - you'd be surprised how, with a little imagination, it can be moved from the central aesthetic of the panel and tucked away in a location that's still visible and reachable by the pilot's fingers, yet also unlikely to be accidentally triggered in day-to-day flying. If you can build an airplane you can innovate a mounting location for the remote control panel, a location which meets the visible/accessible requirements.

Both the major low-cost ELTs (ACK and Artex) supply a remote. Neither of them are very big and can be stuck somewhere reachable but not "in the way" visually on the panel.

Back