What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Cummins spinner

Bavafa

Well Known Member
For those who have installed Cummins spinner, did you strictly follow the instruction (youtube video he has) and if so, was it adequate and resulted in a very satisfactory job. Any tip or gotcha that I need to be aware of?

Looks like mine has finally been shipped and I am excited to get it.

It's a good "guide" but be sure to follow the written instructions, it seemed to me that the video is a mash up of two different spinner installs and that in the second half some of the measurements were off. I don't recall specifics but do recall having to do some math on my own to get it right.

It's a good "guide" but be sure to follow the written instructions, it seemed to me that the video is a mash up of two different spinner installs and that in the second half some of the measurements were off. I don't recall specifics but do recall having to do some math on my own to get it right.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I will review the written instructions and possibly reach out to you if any questions.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I will review the written instructions and possibly reach out to you if any questions.

I'm embarking on this tomorrow. Any words of wisdom please since you just went through it? I've got a CS prop.....what did you do to ensure a solid alignment when drilling the holes into the front and backplate from the cone?

Last edited:
I'm embarking on this tomorrow. Any words of wisdom please since you just went through it? I've got a CS prop.....what did you do to ensure a solid alignment when drilling the holes into the front and backplate from the cone?
The installation was relatively straight forward but please check out this thread before proceeding. A number of us have had issue with the fit at the aft edge and Allan is working on a new front plate to fix the issue.

As far as fitting goes, I used a dial indicator before drilling to make sure the spinner is not in a wobbling setup. My dial indicator has accuracy to .001" and I was able to get it pretty darn center.

Here is the other thread that I posted about the fit. If yours does not fit right, don't drill it till you have got a replacement front plate.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=163080&highlight=cummins

Good luck

As far as fitting goes, I used a dial indicator before drilling to make sure the spinner is not in a wobbling setup. My dial indicator has accuracy to .001" and I was able to get it pretty darn center.

Thanks. I'm that backplate thread - I dont have the fitment issues you guys do - just checked mine earlier today to verify.

As far as the dial indicator, I have one of those too - I assume you did that by mounting the drilled cone and rotating the prob/motor by hand to center the cone proper. If so, I'm too deep into FF construction to want to wipe my cam of oil right now, so I'll pilot drill the cone and wait. I demount my motor occasionally and roll it over in a fixture to re-oil the pickled cam - and I'm due for one soon - but yeah, few more things to do before thats on the docket.

If you spun it some other way to get it centered, that Id like to hear that.

Thanks

Thanks. I'm that backplate thread - I dont have the fitment issues you guys do - just checked mine earlier today to verify.

As far as the dial indicator, I have one of those too - I assume you did that by mounting the drilled cone and rotating the prob/motor by hand to center the cone proper. If so, I'm too deep into FF construction to want to wipe my cam of oil right now, so I'll pilot drill the cone and wait. I demount my motor occasionally and roll it over in a fixture to re-oil the pickled cam - and I'm due for one soon - but yeah, few more things to do before thats on the docket.

If you spun it some other way to get it centered, that Id like to hear that.

Thanks

No, that was my way and I had left this task towards the end of my build so engine/cam would not be much of a concern. I am in N. CA so the engine probably will burn in a wild fire before corrosion be an issue.

Back