What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil cooler baffle support crack

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Hello,

seems a common issue but I would like to have an idea other than mounting my cooler remotely and replace the parts as per plans.

There is a reinforce solution for that ?

Thanks

o_cooler.jpg

Mine cracked early on but not nearly as bad as yours, I guess I caught it earlier. I just reinforced it with a piece of .62 angle with another piece of .32 that extends a bit farther than the angle. It has been solid since and it has been over 500 since the repair. No need to move the oil cooler.

Baffle Reinforcement

I agree that no relocation is necessary. I have seen several similar cases, and had one of my own. The reinforcement shown above should work very well. One thing I recommend is to carefully measure the aluminum tubes between the flanges of the oil cooler. If you make them too short, then tighten the bolts, it puts additional stress on both the oil cooler flanges and the baffle support. I have seen the oil cooler flanges fail for that reason. Repair and keep flying!

All of mine are reinforced the way the pictures above show - and none of them have cracked. I fought baffle problems on factory airplaens for years, so wanted to make sure that the RV's were built stout!

All of mine are reinforced the way the pictures above show - and none of them have cracked. I fought baffle problems on factory airplaens for years, so wanted to make sure that the RV's were built stout!

It should look familiar, I copied yours!! Thanks :)

Last edited:
I had the same crack but used a thicker piece of AA. I also widened the distance between the nutplates slightly to reduce any stress the oil cooler bolts might impart on the baffle.

My AA is slightly longer and helps support the plug wires.

Because I have a cooling plenum, I did not add the additional support, shown above.

When I fixed mine, I replaced the baffle pieces and rounded the edge of the AA so it nestles in the corner of the baffles without causing any additional stress on the baffle pieces.

With well over 400 hours on this fix, there isn’t any sign of cracking:
2012-01-27_21-53-53_700.jpg

Last edited:
I was aware of possible cracking here so I reinforced the area from the very beginning with a 1/8 aluminum angle and .063 sheet. I also have the brace on top of Cyl 4 as shown above.

I ended up doing a much beefier installation than the standard Vans setup. It not only accomplished making the mount very strong, but also put a little distance between the #4 cylinder and the cooler, while also allowing me to lower it a bit for cowling clearance. I also put a piece of 4130 tube as a corner reinforcement inside the baffle just as others have done.

IMG_0617.jpg

I reinforced the corner in similar fashion to many and a brace to the center of the case. However, the stress has to go somewhere. At around 500 hours, mine cracked along the inside corner. I fixed this with a custom bent .063 angle. So, carefully inspect this area. It is hard to see and cracks here are not obvious until they get big.

hrmxkn.jpg

Couldn't agree more. I even did the brace that some folks do on the inside and end up removing it. Its been over 500 hours since the reinforcement on the corner and check it at each de-cowl but have not seen any issues since.

I reinforced the corner in similar fashion to many and a brace to the center of the case. However, the stress has to go somewhere. At around 500 hours, mine cracked along the inside corner. I fixed this with a custom bent .063 angle. So, carefully inspect this area. It is hard to see and cracks here are not obvious until they get big.

Jon, I mounted the brace to the center of the to, hopefully, prevent that area from failing, but frankly, remain concerned about the stiffness of it. No guarantees.

If I fly (live) long enough to get 500 hrs, I will be happy.

'Nuther solution. This greatly reduces the flex at the junction where the baffling cracks. The brace is bolted directly to the cylinder-head fins.

Later Van's kits use a different alloy for the No. 4 baffles, one hopes to reduce the likelihood of cracking.

Mine cracked all too pieces within 50 hours. (new generation of baffle kit)

Replaced and reinforced similar to above and no problems since.

The baffle kit needs a few upgrades. These mods should be standard.....

Oil Cooler Crack

Hi Luca.

That's a nasty looking crack. If you can, send pictures of your repair job when you're done. Have to look at mine next time my cowling is off.

Thanks buddy.

You may also check...

Hello,

seems a common issue but I would like to have an idea other than mounting my cooler remotely and replace the parts as per plans.

There is a reinforce solution for that ?

Thanks

o_cooler.jpg

Luke,
You may want to look at your motor mounts. They do actually wear out/deteriorate over time. That is pretty big vibration.

Daddyman

Another thing you might consider is adding an angle on the inside of the oil cooler flange where the bolts go through, kind of like a big long washer. This more evenly distributes the load over the entire flange and baffle.
I did this early on as there where a lot of reports of oil cooler flange failures.
However, every bit we add in adds weight and works against us on this particular problem.

Here is my page showing how I solved the problem. So far, so good. Some ideas are duplicates of what you have already seen.

rubber flashing

Mine is starting to crack along the same angle. Has anyone tried to allow this to flex as a way to control the crack. I was considering a 1/4" rubber flashing between a new side baffle and the back baffling to allow for a small amount of movement, but still offering vertical support. anyone?

Hi Luca.

That's a nasty looking crack. If you can, send pictures of your repair job when you're done. Have to look at mine next time my cowling is off.

Thanks buddy.

Hello, I'm redoing the #4 baffle with a .063 angle from sheet. Planning to fly soon and brainstorming the "definitive" solution later. New parts are coming from Mothership.

Last edited:
I think the most important modification is to stabilize the inner corner of the baffle as the image in JONJAYs post pointed out in a different thread.

While I did reinforce the outer corner by reforming the available baffle material (no angle added or anything), I think the fuselage "J" channel beam added across the top of the baffle was the most influential change. That is only one way to stabilize the inner corner. You have seen other ways posted on this thread. Since my solution is light, and is working as of 575 hrs, I obviously prefer it. Your choice of course.

Here is a VAF post with images including the J channel beam

Last edited:
Back