What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWF cleaning/hygiene techniques

randylervold

FAR 43, Appendix D, which forms the basis for our condition inspections, specifically calls out...
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100 hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.
Even if it wasn't required, I'm the type who likes to keep a clean engine compartment anyway. So my question is what techniques does everyone use to keep things clean up there? I bought one of those engine spray nozzles from Avery but haven't used it yet other than a brief trial, has anyone else used this? If so, what solvent works best? I did try it briefly with oderless mineral spirits and it didn't seem to do much.
Heretofore I've taken to just wiping things down with a shop rag slightly dampened with Stoddard solvent -- this works ok but is slow and doesn't get all the nooks and crannies.

Compulsive minds want to know what "best practices" are used out there...

I'm sorta kinda still in the honeymoon stage with the Val's' engine compartment - is is pretty much oil and grease free, and I keep it that way by wiping down the few little drips and smears whenever the cowl is off. My current degreaser of choice seems to be Coleman fuel.

Now back in the days with my old Grumman, with many a hard hour on it, I'd spray the whole engine down with the nozzle using solvent. What kind of solvent? Well, we have these big refinery places in the Houston area, and you can just go with a five gallon jug and tell them to fill it up with whatever they have for solvent tanks and such. I think it's basically Stoddard solvent. Works fin, but you still have to scrub a few areas. It's also easy to blow the paint off an engine that has seen a few hours.

My advice is to stay ahead of the mess for as long as you can with shop towels and solvent!

Paul

Stoddard Solvent

I always wondered what Stoddard Solvent was... you can't buy it at Home Depot or ACE Hardware....:)
A quick Google search found this in the NIOSH Safety area...

Stoddard Solvent

Synonyms & Trade Names
Dry cleaning safety solvent, Mineral spirits, Petroleum solvent, Spotting naphtha [Note: A refined petroleum solvent with a flash point of 102-110?F, boiling point of 309-396?F, and containing >65% C10 or higher hydrocarbons.]

So just use Mineral Spirits, it's close enough for cleaning purposes....:)

gil in Tucson - with a 1977 engine to clean...

I found a product at NAPA called "Gunk SC." SC for "Super Concentrate." You add it to your solvent, (1 to 10 if memory serves,) and use the solvent normally. Then when done, you can wash the solvent off with water!! The "Gunk SC" allows the solvent to emulsify. It turns milky, and washes right off. When dry, there is no greasy or oily residue, just dry, clean engine compartment.

Similar to the spray-on foamy engine cleaners, which also work well.

Your solvent can be anything from jet fuel, to mineral spirits. Avoid highly flammable solvents!

Engine Cleaning

I learned this from the cropdusters and it has been my practice for over 35 years with good results. I use solvent and an emulsifier in a pump up garden sprayer, wet down the warm engine and firewall, then wash it off with a garden hose. I am careful with the water nozzle and only use it on "mist". Lube the controls with LP2 before putting the cowl back on. I usually go flying right away to bake the water out. This seems to work much better than just straight solvent. Works great on the belly, too, before you wash the rest of the plane. I currently use paint thinner that I buy in five gallon plastic jugs at the paint store. I buy the emulsifier at NAPA. Don't use gasoline. I know a guy who does. So far, he hasn't set fire to himself and his airplane. I've warned him more than once. Sigh.

engine cleaning

I've used this for years on cars, but should work for RV's. I spray a citrus based degreaser on the engine when it is warm and let it sit and then hose off. Leaves no residue and best of all no nasty smell next time you run the engine. While the engine is still wet from rinse spray liberaly with armorall and let dry. This will make everything shine. Learned this from motorcycle days trying to make cooling fins look good.

frank stone

Engine Cleaning

I had a small oil changing mishap when my filter funnel gave way. I had oil all over my previously sparkling firewall. I began the cleaning process which took about 1/2 hour. I used a diluted 30/70 Simple green for aircraft. I have a painted airplane and this is an approved product. It worked great. I did have residual residue that seeped out of the nooks and cranies and they were wiped away as required. I dilute the simple green for aircraft as full strength is not needed.
320 hours
7A
Tad Sargent:)

OK while we're on the subject

I am doing my annual and have flown 210 hours in the first year.

My white belly is no longer white, particularly as i was too gentle in breaking in the motor and hence I have a lot of oily soot on the underside..(also had an oil leak at one point).

So it looks too thick to clean it with soap so some solvent that won't attack the polyeurathane paint is in order.

Any suggestions?

Frank

belly cleaning

I just cleaned the RV-9s belly yesterday. I started with 409:eek:. Didn't do anything good just smeared the soot around. I went over to the AI and asked how he did the belly of the planes. He said he used gas and a rag. I tried it and it works wonderful. Just get yourself on the creeper and with a couple of shop towles your in business. You get the gas from the sump drains. I'll bet it didn't take a 1/2 pint of gas and it came out looking like I had just painted it. Remember now NO SPARKS.
Now flying with a clean tummy;)

Wash Wax All - Heavy Duty

My white belly is no longer white, particularly as i was too gentle in breaking in the motor and hence I have a lot of oily soot on the underside..(also had an oil leak at one point).

So it looks too thick to clean it with soap so some solvent that won't attack the polyeurathane paint is in order.

Any suggestions?

Frank
Frank... I've found this Wax Wax All (Heavy Duty - second one down) product to be best... and it leaves a polish behind to help for the next cleaning.

http://www.washwaxall.com/products.php

A few FBOs stock it, in my case it's a breakfast run to Payson, AZ...:)

The regular one is also the best for cleaning bugs of the wings after flight, and simultaneously waxing the plane....

gil A

I've never used it on airplanes, but my favorite solvent for most farm equipment, automotive and small engine applications is Varsol.

I use the "jellied" can of hand soap found in auto parts stores. The grease on the belly comes off using just wiping with my hand.

I made the mistake once of not using eye protection, though, and ended up with a trip to the doctor. Now I use swim goggles to keep it out of the eyes.

Belly grease...

I used to use WD40 and it work good, but now I use Simple Green for Aircraft which I now am buying in the gallon jug.

Kent

Any suggestions?

Frank

Scrubbing Bubble spray bathroom cleaner. Disolves, wipes clean, smells great:D

The Best Way to Clean YOur Belly!!

This is so simple that you'll be suprised you didn't think of it yourself.
Buy at the auto parts store a small container of waterless hand cleaner WITHOUT PUMICE. Usually in a plastic container.
Get the hand cleaner and a roll of paper towels and your favourite creeper and get under the plane starting at whatever end you like. Usually, I start at the dirty end while I'm still strong.
Tear off a sheet of paper towel, make into a pad, and dab it into the cleaner.
Spread the cleaner on one panel, or about 4 square feet. With experience you'll learn how much to put on.
Do the same with the next panel. By the time you've done the second panel, the first one is ready to wipe down.
Get a fresh piece of paper towel, and wipe down the first panel. To save paper you can load up that piece of towel with cleaner and do the third panel, then discard that piece of towel.
Repeat this until the belly is done.
Not only will you belly shine, but you don't need water, you can carry this kit in the plane to clean areas that have gotten greasy, and you can even clean your hands after...
Simple
Regards
Jack

Scrubbing Bubble spray bathroom cleaner. Disolves, wipes clean, smells great:D

Be careful with Scrubbing Bubbles. SB is very aggressive (strong Ph). I'm not sure it is good with aluminum. I wouldn't want that stuff in the seams between the rivets.:(

I've heard there was a warning out against the use of citrus based cleaners on aircraft. I use them all the time with good results on my old Jeeps. It turns out that the citric acid they contain can cause corrosion issues on an aluminum aircraft.

Aircraft Cleaner

Having tried just about everything over the years on my bikes and aircraft, I am now using a specific aviation product called Zi-400. It is a colloidal cleaner that is not only environmentally safe and non-toxic, it actually prevents corrosion. This is very important for those areas that you cannot get to, such as lap joints. It is safe for paint (non-streaking), canopies, seals and rubber trim as well as the interior. I shudder when I hear about people using gas or paint thinners to clean the underside of their aircraft.
Being colloidal, once you use it, the belly gets easier to clean each time you use it.

What really turned me onto this stuff is the fact that it is used by a number of airlines and the military. It is the only stuff allowed to be used on the P3 Orions and DHC Caribou military aircraft here in Australia.

Google 'Zi-400' or visit www.eco2000.com.au or

http://www.eco2000.com.au/industrial products.htm

It is a US-made product so should be avialable Stateside...

Martin in Oz

engine cleaning

I've always used mineral spirits with an atomizer spray nozzle with good results. You do have to scrub sometimes but usually an old paintbrush or sash brush does the job nicely. I have an old sheet of 1/4" plywood I put on the hangar floor to keep it from getting messy.
I've found a wonderful product for cleaning the belly it's made by Kresto and called Kwik Wipes (You can get them online from Amazon). They come in a bucket type dispenser and a bucket of 130 is about $20. If you wipe the belly each time you fly it only takes a couple to do the job. These things also work great for cleaning bugs off the wings and other painted surfaces. I even had a friend (non pilot) try to clean the canopy with one with no harm done.
They're actually made for hand cleaning and do an excellent job of it and they're really handy if your hangar is like mine with no water for quite some distance.

Back