What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squadro Pro Lens - Spot vs Wide

gfb

Well Known Member
So I installed one in each wing with the duckworks setup. The Spot light is very bright and generally awesome but I can barely notice the wide light. It's definitely lit up but the patter does not seem terribly good.

Have others used spot in one and wide in the other and are happy with that? i.e. do I have an installation issue?

I'm tempted to replace the lens of my Wide with a Spot lens.

I used the driving combo lenses on my 6A. Two of the lens are spot and the other two are a modified wide (not as wide as flood). These work very well for me. I get good long distance light for landing, but also get good coverage to the sides for taxing (only good for 100-200 feet forward). It lights up the grass well outside the taxiway.

Larry

Last edited:
So I installed one in each wing with the duckworks setup. The Spot light is very bright and generally awesome but I can barely notice the wide light. It's definitely lit up but the patter does not seem terribly good.

Have others used spot in one and wide in the other and are happy with that? i.e. do I have an installation issue?

I'm tempted to replace the lens of my Wide with a Spot lens.

Did you move them closer to the plexi or leave them set back like the hot halogens are? Flipping the duck works brackets should help to do this. I would guess moving the up further into the leading edge should help significantly with light distribution.

I have a pair of the Spot pattern lights, mounted in the wingtips and set to converge at a distance of about 200 yards. My lights are mounted as far forward in the wings as possible. There's more than enough spill to allow comfortable taxiing, although directly in front of the aircraft it's perhaps a little less illuminated than I would like so getting one of those "combo" lenses installed in place of one of the Spot lenses would likely resolve that issue. As it stands, I'm putting smaller units in the engine cowl so I'll stick with the spot beams out on the wingtips.

Back