What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is anyone building something else NOT an RV, but Likes this group..?

My father and I are currently trying to finish a Wheeler Express, but the day I win the lottery is the day I order an RV-8A QB :)

I'm building a Wag Aero Sport Trainer for my wife to learn to fly in. However, we're not in any great rush, as we're REALLY enjoying flying our -8 that we finished in 2004.

I'm building a Sonex, but the information available on the VansAirforce site is just great. This is definiteliy a "must have" website! :D

--
Michael
Sonex #293
N293SX reserved

Beatings :)

Ya mean the beating I take around here isnt enjoyment enough already... You want to me *say* what I'm building :)...

All kidding aside, this group is a bunch of fun and I'm usually in sponge mode when reading. Learning everything I can.

Oh, and for the record, I'm building a "plastic" airplane. A Lancair Legacy Fixed gear with a twist - In Carbon fiber instead of eglass, and with a Cont IO-550. Prelim information suggests it will cruise around 225-230kts which is only about 10-12kts slower than the RG. But my insurance man and annual finances like me a whole bunch more...

Finished and flying it will look like this
DSCN1429.sized.jpg

Oh, and with the discussions around *expensive* Lancair paint jobs, the one above was done by Alan Woodson of Texas Aerocolor and only cost about 7-8K I believe.

I've built 5 Quad City Challengers. Loads of fun but you need to pack a shaving kit if you plan to do a 150 mile cross country.I'm going to keep the one I have to go along with the 8. No one airplane will do it all :D

RV 8 Fuselage

Building a -8, built and still have a Challenger II and helping a friend build a Sonex.

Compared to a Sonex, the -8 is a walk in the park!

There is probably no other group in the world more capable of answering builders questions about any subject relative to aircraft construction than this one.

13.jpg

They are even fairly tolerant of non RVers

Status?

N395V said:
There is probably no other group in the world more capable of answering builders questions about any subject relative to aircraft construction than this one.

13.jpg

They are even fairly tolerant of non RVers

Hey Milt, go post a current status of your project in the "alternative airplane" section ala the Rocket section :)

I'm curious where you are, what you've got done and hat the prognosis will be

Look in the Rocket section
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9149
Since that post the plane is on its wings and gear. The bottom half of the Fuse, Wings has been sanded filled sanded and primed. Canopy frame is complete and temp mounted.

Monday I will start installing the switch/breaker panels and power distribution system. Tuesday will be the panel and its wiring sans the Efii and hopefully the following week the engine mount.

Ugggghhhhh so close and yet so much to do.

Last edited:
Thanks Milt

N395V said:
Look in the Rocket section
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9149
Since that post the plane is on its wings and gear. The bottom half of the Fuse, Wings has been sanded filled sanded and primed. Canopy frame is complete and temp mounted.

Monday I will start installing the switch/breaker panels and power distribution system. Tuesday will be the panel and its wiring sans the Efii and hopefully the following week the engine mount.

Ugggghhhhh so close and yet so much to do.

Milt,

Thanks, I guess I missed it the first time around and didn't even go look before I posted my question. Excellent progress. Excellent airplane.... You are gonna have too much fun with that. BTW, any nibbles on your Rocket?

North Star

I have built a North Star kit plane, like a Super Cub, 180 hp Alaska Mods built into it. I love this airplane! I have flown it to Idaho, Indiana, OSH, Colorado, Wyoming, fun for me.
I have completed several other light planes too.
The RV8 is my favorite RV and a new one is in the works now. 180 hp carb Grove gear, ECI engine by Americas Aircraft Engines, Tru Trac Auto pilot simple and light. Fun Fun!!!!!

Last edited:
Biplane, Skybolt based, custom fixed pitch M14 for power, tapered rod gear. Should be fun. Wings and fuselage frame are done, and I was welding the gear truss this past weekend.

I hang out here because I serve as a TC and this is a great place to stay up to date on all things RV. I've also had some past personal experience with an RV-8A.

Dan Horton

Ok. Now we've identified all the infidels. Lets round 'em up and kick 'em off. :D

Just kidding. Not that I'm the Grand Pooba around here, but I say welcome. A different perspective is a good thing. I'll admit those Lancairs look great to me. If I didn't mind itching all the time and had a bigger budget...

Dan,

This is one nice looking bi-plane! Are you going to sell plans?

I have been dreaming about building a Hatz CB-1 when the -9 is finished. More so now that there is a 150 hp radial available. That is all it is right now, a dream.

DanH said:
Biplane, Skybolt based, custom fixed pitch M14 for power, tapered rod gear. Should be fun. Wings and fuselage frame are done, and I was welding the gear truss this past weekend.

I hang out here because I serve as a TC and this is a great place to stay up to date on all things RV. I've also had some past personal experience with an RV-8A.

Dan Horton

Something to Compliment the RV

I've built, flown and sold and RV-6. I've built and currently am flying an RV-8 which I plan to hold long term. A few months ago I decided I needed another project; something to compliment the -8. Accordingly, I've started construction on a Rans S-7S Courier. It's a very nice kit and a much different building experience compared to the two RVs (not better or worse, just different). The biggest problem has been convincing the spouse for a second time that tandem is really a better way of life.

The long build!

I am building a Glasair III. I am about 60% done and 95% to go! :eek: I bought a flying RV-8a which is a lot of fun but nothing when compaired to the Glasair. I will keep building and waiting for the day to fly the Glasair. I enjoy the building process a lot but flying is a lot more fun! :)

guilty

I built my RV8, and I love it.

But, when it came time for the next project, I wanted something new. I looked hard at the Lancair Legacy, but I test flew it, and I didn't like it. Then I got hooked up with Jim Younkin, and he had the beginnings of the 4th and last Mullicoupe for sale. A test ride was all it took! Here is the one he finished.

mullicoupe.jpg

I am about half done with it (I said that for 3 years with the 8 :D )

John

<<This is one nice looking bi-plane! Are you going to sell plans?>>

Thanks!

No need to buy plans from me. It's just a Skybolt with a more rounded fuselage, reshaped turtledeck, and different gear. The hard part was the engine design work. I have this bad habit of tinkering with a simple project in order to make it more complicated. This was the last big one.
Dan

Hey guys it is a trick...once you tell them what else your building you will be excommunicated...just kidding. Actually I am a "group illegitimate (*******)". My plane is one of a kind therefore I monitor several groups. By far, this group is the best of all. One day, after retirement and winning the lottery, I hope to build an RV8 (got a couple of buddies building and flying RV8's). For now I fly what I got. Sonerai based tandem 2 seater, Ribblett wing, all scratch built..even the prop...85 HP Continental scratch built from scavenged parts...165 MPH WOT, 140-150 cruise burning 5 gals, no flaps...lands like an RV4...keep it in the garage (no hanger rent) trailer it to airport put... wings on...go fly...fold wings take it back to garage. Liability insurance only. Certainly not an RV...but that is what I got....Ivan/Sugar Land, Texas.

I'm building a Bearhawk. I get a lot of good general building information here.

Building gets in your blood. I love it. There will definately be a "next" project.:)

RVWanabe said:
Hey guys it is a trick...once you tell them what else your building you will be excommunicated...just kidding. Actually I am a "group illegitimate (*******)". My plane is one of a kind therefore I monitor several groups. By far, this group is the best of all. One day, after retirement and winning the lottery, I hope to build an RV8 (got a couple of buddies building and flying RV8's). For now I fly what I got. Sonerai based tandem 2 seater, Ribblett wing, all scratch built..even the prop...85 HP Continental scratch built from scavenged parts...165 MPH WOT, 140-150 cruise burning 5 gals, no flaps...lands like an RV4...keep it in the garage (no hanger rent) trailer it to airport put... wings on...go fly...fold wings take it back to garage. Liability insurance only. Certainly not an RV...but that is what I got....Ivan/Sugar Land, Texas.

Ivan, that tandem Sonerai sounds cool! I'd really like to see some pictures of it, could you post some? Thanks

Baseball Dad said:
I'm building a Bearhawk. I get a lot of good general building information here.

Building gets in your blood. I love it. There will definately be a "next" project.:)

My intentions to build wavers from the Bearhawk (more practical for my needs) to the RV-8 (Drop Dead Sexy! and love the Tandem seating). So do I go SUV or Sports car? Doesn't really matter right now as there are other considerations, but no matter which I do first, I'm sure I'll start the other after it is finished.

Glasair34me said:
I am building a Glasair III. I am about 60% done and 95% to go! :eek: I bought a flying RV-8a which is a lot of fun but nothing when compaired to the Glasair. I will keep building and waiting for the day to fly the Glasair. I enjoy the building process a lot but flying is a lot more fun! :)
But the RV sure handles better... yes I've flown both, although the glasair was a IRG, not a III. I have flown IN a III, didn't get to touch the stick due to some, uh, close formation. I like the RV's handling a lot more ;).

Martorious said:
My intentions to build wavers from the Bearhawk (more practical for my needs) to the RV-8 (Drop Dead Sexy! and love the Tandem seating). So do I go SUV or Sports car? Doesn't really matter right now as there are other considerations, but no matter which I do first, I'm sure I'll start the other after it is finished.

Build both. I have an RV-9A (current being converted to a 9). I have started the wings on a Harmon Rocket II and plan on a Bearhawk after that. My dream hanger would be both the Rocket and a Bearhawk. A fast sports car and a Super Duty truck.

Lately I've just been focused on building some really great Ikea furniture. I bet I'm the only guy on these forums who put a couple hundred hours into a set of countersunk, flush-riveted Gepflurndebern shelves, aren't I? ;)

Planning in fits and starts to get to work on either an RV-7 or a Waiex. Leaning towards the Waiex, frankly, as a significantly better (read: cheaper) fit for my mission profile, but I really love these forums. So much to learn just by lurking and browsing thru the threads.

Northstar

Jaypratt,

can you tell us more about the North Star?
what was the kit like, hours to build, complexity, service support, etc.
does it fly like advertised?

ajay

Jaypratt said:
I have built a North Star kit plane, like a Super Cub, 180 hp Alaska Mods built into it. I love this airplane! I have flown it to Idaho, Indiana, OSH, Colorado, Wyoming, fun for me.
I have completed several other light planes too.
The RV8 is my favorite RV and a new one is in the works now. 180 hp carb Grove gear, ECI engine by Americas Aircraft Engines, Tru Trac Auto pilot simple and light. Fun Fun!!!!!

N916K said:
Build both. I have an RV-9A (current being converted to a 9). I have started the wings on a Harmon Rocket II and plan on a Bearhawk after that. My dream hanger would be both the Rocket and a Bearhawk. A fast sports car and a Super Duty truck.

I'm sorry for the question but I've been trying to understand why so little interest in the BD-4. I know the BD-5 had problems but I can't find similar faults for the 4 and it seems to my ignorant understanding that it would be a cross between a hearhawk and a -9? What am I missing?

thanks,

John

Deuskid said:
I'm sorry for the question but I've been trying to understand why so little interest in the BD-4. I know the BD-5 had problems but I can't find similar faults for the 4 and it seems to my ignorant understanding that it would be a cross between a hearhawk and a -9? What am I missing?

I had friends who paid money for the BD-12. They never got their planes.
:confused:

Deuskid said:

thanks,

John

I've never flown a BD-4 but from the numbers it doesn't really look like a bush plane or similar to an RV-9. Seems like it needs quite a bit of runway and has a rather high stall speed. Those little wings may be good for speed but not for the slow flight.

WOW!!!!!!!

Nuisance said:
I built my RV8, and I love it.

But, when it came time for the next project, I wanted something new. I looked hard at the Lancair Legacy, but I test flew it, and I didn't like it. Then I got hooked up with Jim Younkin, and he had the beginnings of the 4th and last Mullicoupe for sale. A test ride was all it took! Here is the one he finished.

mullicoupe.jpg

I am about half done with it (I said that for 3 years with the 8 :D )

John

I stopped in Springdale before I retired and saw the Work-In-Process when Jim Younkin was developing the Mullicoupe and of course I've seen him fly it into Fayetteville. That is a major undertaking and you have my full attention.

Good luck John.

Bob Axsom

N916K said:
I've never flown a BD-4 but from the numbers it doesn't really look like a bush plane or similar to an RV-9. Seems like it needs quite a bit of runway and has a rather high stall speed. Those little wings may be good for speed but not for the slow flight.

It doesn't look like a 9 but it has similar numbers to a 9 [for the most part]. It does look like a bush plane to me physically. I am the first to admit I'm ignorant and there must be a reason the BD-4 never took off [pun intended] but I wonder if it is more a case of being tainted by its brotheren rather than anything to do with itself? Not that it matters, there are numerous excellent other aircraft available. I just wonder sometimes.

John

Titan t-51

Ok, not mine yet, but one like it... 'cept mine will have 4-blade prop... hanging engine this summer, hopefully in the air and finished in time for Christmas family photos....!
battint51sp6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I built a Zenair Zodiac

601 HDS and helped a friend of mine rivet his Glastar tail the other day.

The Zodiac is a toy compared to the 7a...But also a third of the cost.

As to the sportsman tail...well for get about drawings, guess the length of your own rivets and forget dimpling cus they use AN470's right in the middle of the skin...YUK!

The first time took off in the 7a I saw 2500fpm...Holy Cow!...:)

I am currently building an RV7 for a customer but have just started a plans built Nexus Mustang. I flew the Nexus awhile back with Dick Eaves, the designer, and it is one sweet flying machine. It is definitly a hotter machine than the RV but the response, handling and stability in the air is supperb not to mention it is one great looking bird. A Radial Rocket would be my choice though if I had the funds.

This website cannot be beat for the wealth of info on it and I think everyone should make a contribution to Doug for all the work he puts into it.

Steve

I took this shot just after our flight

1002642gl4.jpg

Last edited:
North Star?

Ajay,

Anyone wanting North Star info needs to calll me. 817 271 0594
My typing tolerance is low.
Great Airplane though.
Thanks

RV buddy - Space Walker 2

After 3 years of flying my RV-6, I have the building bug again. I thought about another RV - got all the tools and most of the skills and a few ideas, but what am I going to do with two of them ?
So, with the RV a great XC and acro mount, I needed something low and slow. With great all-year-round weather we have here in Queensland, Australia, I figured an open cockpit machine would be ideal for early morning/late afternoon fun flying. I decided on a Space Walker 2 that became available locally. Also know as a Warner Revolution. Wood wings, steel fuse and fabric covered. I'm fitting a 9-cylinder 150 hp Rotec radial for the full retro, bugs in the teeth look. Best of both worlds with these two aircraft.

Martin in Oz

prporter said:
Ok, not mine yet, but one like it... 'cept mine will have 4-blade prop... hanging engine this summer, hopefully in the air and finished in time for Christmas family photos....!
battint51sp6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This aircraft is quite appealing to me as well. I saw several of them last summer up at the Geneseo Warbird Fly-in/Airshow. One of the best appeals of this bird is it's economic powerplant and resultant fuel burn rate. True, the Rotex engines don't exactly sound like an Allison or a Merlin, but they don't burn gas like them either.

Prporter, do you know if this airframe would accept a larger powerplant or not?

A few years ago, I saw a Skybolt with an R-985 on the front. Wow!! It definitely made an impression. I think then the M-14s were just starting to get popular.

Other than the above, a good old fashioned Stearman project would be my cup of tea...

Meanwhile, still poundin' them rivets for my -8, and lovin' it! Can't wait to get it flying!

I am currently finishing up my Cozy MKIV which I have sold to a friend, partially completed a second Cozy MKIV which was being built at the same time and rate as the first and and have started my RV-10!!

Harvey said:
After 3 years of flying my RV-6, I have the building bug again. I thought about another RV - got all the tools and most of the skills and a few ideas, but what am I going to do with two of them ?
So, with the RV a great XC and acro mount, I needed something low and slow. With great all-year-round weather we have here in Queensland, Australia, I figured an open cockpit machine would be ideal for early morning/late afternoon fun flying. I decided on a Space Walker 2 that became available locally. Also know as a Warner Revolution. Wood wings, steel fuse and fabric covered. I'm fitting a 9-cylinder 150 hp Rotec radial for the full retro, bugs in the teeth look. Best of both worlds with these two aircraft.

Martin in Oz
Martin,

I LOVE that plane and often thought about building one before I started on the -9. Since the Rotec came out, I've been watching all the web sites to see how they work together.

Good luck on your project and keep us up todate on your progress.

Yes, there are several auto conversions that will fit it well, and one that the factory is quite pleased with, from 160 to 200 HP. The Rotax, for me in Albuquerque at 5200alt and density alt, is kind of weak...

jdmunzell said:
This aircraft is quite appealing to me as well. I saw several of them last summer up at the Geneseo Warbird Fly-in/Airshow. One of the best appeals of this bird is it's economic powerplant and resultant fuel burn rate. True, the Rotex engines don't exactly sound like an Allison or a Merlin, but they don't burn gas like them either.

A few years ago, I saw a Skybolt with an R-985 on the front. Wow!! It definitely made an impression. I think then the M-14s were just starting to get popular.

Other than the above, a good old fashioned Stearman project would be my cup of tea...

Meanwhile, still poundin' them rivets for my -8, and lovin' it! Can't wait to get it flying!

RV Buddy - Space Walker..

Hi Bill,

I will certainly keep in touch. For you information, the Space Walker/ Revolution kits are now being produced by an Aussie engineer based in Malaysia. You can check out the website - http://www.serenityaviation.com/

Cheers

Martin

I will be going for my PPL this summer, and after that, ordering my -10 kit. However, I intend to use my experience gleaned from that project to help with this...

corsair.jpg

The Corsair is one of my favorite fighter warbirds, and Tony Pileggi is painfully designing a prototype 82% replica (LINK). If it turns out to be a winner, he suggests a kit would be a possibility. Hey, we're all just a bunch of dreamers anyway, right?

Last edited:
jdmunzell said:

I talked to the T-51 rep at osh in 2004. At that time he said they were working on installing a much more powerful engine - he stated that the airframe was designed to handle much more power already, I don't remember the specifics though. They had two of them at Osh, both looked excellent.

Back