- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Hire Test Pilot VS fly Urself for first flight

I have built Rv12 and now ready to fly. Since I am new pilot abt only 250 hrs. Should I hire test Pilot or just fly it myself?
I have around 5 hrs in Rv12.

If you know any Test Pilot in PHX area plz let me know.

Thanks
regmiphx@hotmail.com
Builder # 120706
N316AM flying by July 2018

Last edited by LUKLA : 06-17-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:26 AM

I suspect a lot would matter on how current you are and particularly how current in type. 5 hours is not very much transition time especially for low time pilot.

Also check out FAA Advisory Circular https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_90-116.pdf for Additional Pilot Program (APP) for flight testing experimental aircraft
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 402

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks

Last edited by Piper J3 : 06-17-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:18 AM

Default A man has to know his limitations . . .

You can look at numbers and get first hand opinions by people who know your skills or call even call a psychic to get some diversity, but you should know your own limitations and make the final decision. Be prepared for turn back, and know your area for landing spots should they be needed.

I sweated this one myself (taildragger 7) and got as current and challenged by my instructor as I could in a Citabria, and his 7A. I already had 10 hours of transition with the 7, but it was stale. My instructor, nor anyone close to me, would say - you are good to go. I built my confidence and did the first flight.

Unless you fly with a transition trainer specifically in the 12, I expect you will get the same answers. That might be your best path, as you will have to fly it safely someday. . .

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 06-17-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKLA View Post
I have built Rv12 and now ready to fly. Since I am new pilot abt only 250 hrs. Should I hire test Pilot or just fly it myself?
I have around 5 hrs in Rv12.

If you know any Test Pilot in PHX area plz let me know.

Thanks
regmiphx@hotmail.com
Just my advice....two things. First, you’ve spent untold number of hours building; in the back of your head you would do anything to save your plane and possibly lose your life doing so.. As a test pilot, you should have many many hours in aircraft like yours to be able judge flying quality and have the ability to fly “out of trim” aircraft.

Secondly, you state 5 hours total time in -12....kinda light in time, also “total time”. Do you want to risk bending your baby. Just not worth it!

I struggled with the same issue, finially taking advice from a close friend who has time in just about everything with wings....glad I did!
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by Phantom30 : 06-17-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:08 AM

As an EAA Flight Advisor I almost always recommend letting another pilot perform the first flight of a new aircraft. The two main reasons are:
The builder is usually not as qualified as a test pilot.
The builder is emotionally involved in the aircraft itself.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 06-17-2018, 06:50 AM

i had been away from flying 30 yrs when my build[not an rv] was done. got current in a taildragger but had 300 hrs tt. i had 3 offers from competent people to do first flight. i let my instructor do it. not a problem for him but i don't know if i could have handled trim issues that were no big deal for him. you know the saying......better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than..........
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 AM

I agree with Mel.

Or, to put it another way it comes down to priorities. Which is your greatest priority for that first flight:

1. To have the best possible chance of a good outcome. And, the most comprehensive list of the flight qualities and engine run parameters.

or

2. To have the experience of putting "the first flight" on your new bird. There is only one first.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:35 AM

Default First flight nonsense

I am of the opinion that there seems to be some romantic attraction to doing the "first flight". Pilots and builders who are generally a rational bunch and able to view issues analytically somehow get sucked into this "first flight" fantasy.

It's almost as if they feel it will give them the equivalent of birthing their first baby. They seem to throw out logic and common sense for this irrational belief.

Certainly some pilots are well experienced in type and have the proper training and experience to handle first flights, but these are a very small group.

I can tell you for a fact that your first flight will be just as memorable as if it was the aircraft's first flight. It will also be a lot more enjoyable as you will have the confidence that there won't be a major surprises.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:35 AM

If you want to do the first flight, get an RV12 qualified instructor and let them know your interest in doing it. Train with them until they “sign you off” on doing it. The risks are still there, but you can make a better judgment in balancing that against the unique experience of making the first flight in the aircraft you built.
Anybody who’s says doing the first flight of the airplane you built compares to anything but that hasn’t done it and is just justifying their own decision, which is just fine, for them.
I used Mike Seager. When he said “go fly your airplane, your ready”, I trusted his assemssment of my skills.
I respect those that chose to mitigate the risks and have a qualified pilot do the first flight for all the reasons mentioned. I also respect those that understood the risk, prepared themselves the best they could, and checked that first flight box in the airplane they built.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.

Last edited by JonJay : 06-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarshall234 View Post
There is only one first.
Actually by having a highly qualified test pilot perform the first flight, you get two. The first flight of the aircraft and your first flight of the aircraft.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award