- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedallas View Post
A lot of nice upgrades
I hope wing tanks are next

Is there any info on the EarthX battery size & model and if the stab fairings will work on the 1st generation 12

Joe Dallas
Pretty sure they consider the new tank design as safe or safer than wing tanks. Of course, it does take up baggage room.
The EarthX in the plane is an ETX900.
Since the stab and tailcone on N912VA are from an earlier airplane, pretty sure the fairings are retrofittable.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 07-24-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9builder View Post
According to Van's website, midway down this page, it says they plan to produce an SLSA version.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv12iS.htm

I don't think they have all the details posted yet for the SLSA.
Thank you! I'll keep my fingers crossed, check their website and give them a call after Air Venture.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 AM

Thanks Tony
The Fuel Tank is a lot better than the old design and if you take off the wings on a regular bases it may be worth the risk of a fuel leak in the fuselage ?

The RV12 is a great aircraft, if it had wing tanks for the guys who don't take off the wings it would be the perfect light sport aircraft.
My View

Joe Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Pretty sure they consider the new tank design as safe or safer than wing tanks. Of course, it does take up baggage room.
The EarthX in the plane is an ETX900.
Since the stab and tailcone on N912VA are from an earlier airplane, pretty sure the fairings are retrofittable.
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 AM

It was posted earlier that the new tank is 20.2 gallons with maybe (?) 2 gallons unusable. Offsetting the current 4 gal remaining caution or steep climbs/ go arounds which 'could' cause a stoppage.
With the baggage area being increased to 75 lbs it would be good to have the option to increase the fuel load to 25 gallons with a bigger version of the newly designed( and located) tank. This would be the same as the baggage weight increase.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I was telling Tony while he was taking these photos that we get a lot of amusement out of thinking back to all of the forum discussions that went on when Van's announced not jumping into immediately develop an iS FWF kit for the RV-12.

The general consensus was "how hard could it be" (I find it hard to not start laughing while I'm writing this.....).
Funny Scott - I went back and reviewed that thread in detail and didn't find one comment that seemed to indicate "how hard could it be"

What I did see is a lot of Van's customers who are experienced pilots, engineers, and builders discussing the possibility and problems in an educated manner that I hope helped to encourage Van's Aircraft to further explore and succeed in this option.

I have to say that your condescending attitude towards us is putting me off ever ordering another Van's kit.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspilot View Post
Funny Scott - I went back and reviewed that thread in detail and didn't find one comment that seemed to indicate "how hard could it be"

What I did see is a lot of Van's customers who are experienced pilots, engineers, and builders discussing the possibility and problems in an educated manner that I hope helped to encourage Van's Aircraft to further explore and succeed in this option.

I have to say that your condescending attitude towards us is putting me off ever ordering another Van's kit.
I think the sum total of Scott's comments/input - at least during the time I've been on VAF - should give him a pass for perhaps a momentary indulgence of hyperbole. I sure hope you don't base your decision making around being a Van's customer on one comment. People "inside" any pursuit/profession/industry - in my case healthcare - often are amused by the lack of understanding of the details/complexity/challenges of their work. It's human nature, nothing more or less.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 AM

When you look at the testing of the 12iS and the 14, you get a tiny, weeny glimpse into just part of what is required to engineer, or re engineer a development or change.

Some of the consistent things about Vans have been the diligence to design, structural analysis and production values among many other things. With that comes hours and hours of what if, how can, would it, I am sure.

Without that, I doubt that many would have been built in the UK.

How about looking at 3 minor things in the 12iS and ask where the ideas may have come from ?

1. - New tank design
2. - Canopy support sub gussets
3. - Rear bulkhead inspection mod

Where did they first get thought about, discussed, suggested and now it looks like they have been incorporated.

We are on building RV #5 now, with #6 in pre planning. I can't think of any other kit I would want to build and the 12's we are now doing are the fastest and most fun of all (except micro Molex which is being changed !).

Swapping a motor from A to B, especially when the new one has loads more "stuff" with it must have been an enormous task and guess what, Vans took the time and opportunity to have a look at other areas which needed upgrading. Mind you, when they get round to gluing canopies on, boy, oh boy, I will be dancin' in the street

No, the RV12CEO won't be any less good than the RV12NEO - it will just be different and I am sure they do have great fun at brainstorming sessions. For those who haven't spotted them yet, keep your eyes open for the little bits of Engineer Irony in the prints and plans, they are there if you look...

Donated in 2018
Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post

No, the RV12CEO won't be any less good than the RV12NEO - it will just be different and I am sure they do have great fun at brainstorming sessions. For those who haven't spotted them yet, keep your eyes open for the little bits of Engineer Irony in the prints and plans, they are there if you look...
Being a former Boeing employee, a 737 driver and knowing that Van's and Boeing are on the same coast plus a pond and a whole country away from Toulouse, I think we should refer to the RV12 versions as NG and MAX. No foreign FBW monikers allowed

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 Katana "Princess Amelia"
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction
Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Very quick !

Opinions vary though

Donated in 2018
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspilot View Post

Sorry you feel that way John, because it wasn't intended that way at all and especially wasn't directed at you. I guess I failed in my use of smiley faces.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")