What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Houston!

patmiller

I've just moved to the Houston area and my plane project (RV-14A) will be following me shortly (oh, and the wife and kids too!)

I'm currently staying up in the Woodlands, but will be moving closer to downtown when the family comes out.

I've just rented some hangar space at Pearland where I'll complete the build.

Looking for fellow builders and flyers in the area. I would love to see your build or (better yet!) go flying in your completed bird!

Suggestions for an EAA chapter would be welcome as well.

Drop me a line at "patrick DOT miller AT gmail DOT com"

I do check PM's occasionally as well.

Pat

If you are renting from Honcho at Pearland, you are right in the middle of a great bunch of RV guys already!

Pearland and Polly Ranch

Pat,
Welcome to Houston and Pearland.
How about you decided to move closer to your project and check out some of the houses for sale at Polly Ranch. Sure would rather have a pilot in the homes on the runway then a non pilot. 7XS0 is just a stone throw away from KLVJ and the guys at Pearland will still help out I am sure.

There is a house for lease on Airline Drive and two homes for sale on Butler Dr. (Not sure if the house on Airline has hangar access but they might allow it).

I work downtown and drive in from Polly Ranch. The traffic is very heavy and you really need to adjust your work schedule to not spend hours in the commute so you can spend more of it on the build.

... had to make the suggestion.....

If you are renting from Honcho at Pearland, you are right in the middle of a great bunch of RV guys already!

Honcho was full up... Ended up in the (not quite done) new construction over by the FBO. The timing works out OK for moving the project down in August. Glad to hear there are other RVs on the field!

How about you decided to move closer to your project and check out some of the houses for sale at Polly Ranch. Sure would rather have a pilot in the homes on the runway then a non pilot. 7XS0 is just a stone throw away from KLVJ and the guys at Pearland will still help out I am sure.

Oh! I wanted an airpark house, but the wife was dead set against it! Sigh!

At least she's letting me build the plane! Her dad build a BD-4 and BD-5 so she knows what happens to a garage with a builder in the house!

Check out friendswood. 5 mins from pearland airport, great schools, great gun range and great community. I have a -6 i keep at wolfe airpark in manvil. I am planning on building a hangar there. There are too many rv's around south houston to count. Welcome to the area.

There is a house for lease on Airline Drive and two homes for sale on Butler Dr. (Not sure if the house on Airline has hangar access but they might allow it).

I saw that house while driving through Polly a couple weeks ago. Looked up the listing online and it specifically says hangar use is not included. It might be negotiable with the owner, but IMO the rent is already pretty high ($2500).

This is kind of short notice, but EAA 774 is having their monthly meeting tonight at IWS; I'll be there. Though to be honest it's not a very active chapter from what I've seen.

Check out friendswood. 5 mins from pearland airport, great schools, great gun range and great community. I have a -6 i keep at wolfe airpark in manvil. I am planning on building a hangar there. There are too many rv's around south houston to count. Welcome to the area.

I've been idly looking at area air parks for a while now (still not really in a position to buy), and Wolfe has always been a mystery to me. Seems like there's a lot of vacant plots on the airport, none of which are for sale, and none of which have any evidence of development going on.

Since you're thinking of building there, maybe you can shed some light. Are those plots owned by people with future building plans maybe?

I find Wolfe attractive in many ways; it's not as nice as other places, but I'm not looking for an upscale community, I just want to live on an airport and be able to walk out my back door to the hangar. Buying a plot at Wolfe and building a live-in hangar or house + hangar seems like an attractive option to me, assuming it's possible to grab a plot there.

If you are still in the woodlands, ch 302 meets at Conroe Airport the second Saturday of every month. We are a very active chapter. I'm in the woodlands still building in my garage. You are welcome to stop by.

Jay

Back