What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quickbuild fuselage gear leg holes?

jfisher

So I just received the QB fuselage for my RV-14A via Partain. Very pleased with the shipping process.
Going thru the plans to make sure everything was completed when I discovered something interesting. On page 26-10, step 7 it says to cut out a rectangular hole for the main gear (tri-gear) and debur the edges before riveting the bottom skins together.
Problem is the hole was not cut out and the skins are riveted together. Not sure how to proceed. Will call Van's Monday am, but wondering if anyone else has dealt with this on the QB fuselage?

QB here, too. The cut is easily done. Cut carefully, then, use a nibbler to get right up to the edge. Did not take long and was not as scary as I feared. :rolleyes:

Guys,
I'm expecting my QB Fuse next week, I was wondering what you placed it on in your shop? Does a standard workbench work?

Not a quickbuild, but in either case, a properly high and sturdy table works great. Example would be the EAA Chapter 1000 Workbench. I decided to build four.

9_48_28+PM.jpg

These are from when I completed the mid fuse side structure.

IMG_20150715_222428.jpg

IMG_6845.JPG

This is during the aft fuse attachment.

IMG_20150905_195306.jpg

This arrangement persisted through gear and wheel attachment.

IMG_7390.JPG

Until the plane was ready for the engine.

IMG_8203.JPG

Last edited:
I built five of the benches, with a couple of modifications - I made all but one of them 2x4 feet since Home Depot has pre-cut plywood and pressed "project boards" in that size - much easier than cutting down a 4 x 8 sheet. I also made a 3-inch overhang on 3 sides to make it easier to clamp items on the tops. This made the bases a bit smaller but it was easy to modify the dimensions to make it work. Various arrangements of the benches for various stages of the project....

On mine I built without overhang but bolted a 3/4 mdf sheet on top with overhang. I?ve used the mdf to hold clecos and such without too much sacrifice. Turned it over like an old mattress once. I also fashioned a bracket on the side of one to use my drdt simpler at the right height to the table.

Back