What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upper cowl inlet ramps

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Have these fitted and drilled read to flox. In the outside forward corners the ramp doesn?t close the gap to the cowling. Later on this area is not shown in the fill nd smooth detail drawing. Is this something I should strive to close or not worry about it? I think no cuz the inboard end is very open.

Ramps

Those outboard edges should be outside of your baffles, so closing them off will not matter.

Marvin is correct.

The areas that need to be sealed are called out in Figure 1 on Page 45-20.

jA7cu8a46AzG7d3ualhEPn4E2g2p9HS7Z99bWp_wIhliDk9KZUXkKOp7PhMW474qDJmYOkcwEoe8QFAqeNQbjKqSVua4GdKhi0OfsKXVyKfj8IHkIfAjAUP_-1YEUwKTCHylpyd96t4=w800

Here's what mine looked like after completion. Mine are sealed over nearly the entire contact area since I preferred that look (for something I'll rarely see), however it is not necessary and adds weight.

IMG_8632.JPG

I am working on the inlet ramps. I can't get the positioning scribeline to line up with the rear edge of the inlet opening. I assume that I should just continue to sand down the front edge of the ramp (the rounded section) where the blue line points from COWL-00001.

On mine I had to build up the outside of the upper cowl openings and then sand the opening back for symmetry to the lower cowl and to make a good transition for the battle seals. I also had to do the buildup necessary to take the lower cowl baffle retainers. Get it as good as you can as supplied then you can sand back or add where needed later.

Left side was more work than the right which went about like the instructions.

Back