What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Denver/COS recommendations

jwyatt

Well Known Member
I?ve had my eye on a Wed-Sat trip to Colorado Springs for a change of scenery this week, but weather outlook now is trending stormy there, while Denver is looking better.
So...any intel from the VAF braintrust on which airport is most efficient / cost-effective for access to the tourist-parts of the metro area without requiring a rental car? Or is there a better way ... our pattern on past trips has been Uber to a hotel and then walk/public transit/Uber if necessary to various points of interest. No problem with controlled airports.

No real plan on what we do/see, my copilot?s given guideline is that it can?t all be aviation-related ;)

Any info or can?t-miss suggestions for DEN or COS areas welcome, to be filed away for future travels.

KAPA or KBJC are your best options for finding an Uber/taxi into town. You *might* be able to get a ride from KFTG (pretty east of Denver) but I'd call the FBO first.

It's very hazy right now with lots of smoke in the air from the various forest fires to the west of us. Just know visibility is pretty limited as you get close to the mountains.

If you want to explore Denver, pretty much any of the 3 GA airports near town are fine (KAPA, KBJC and KFTG - Listed from busiest to least busy and most amenities to least amenities). You should call ahead, but I don't think you'll have trouble getting transportation. Once in Denver, the RTD trains/buses will get you where you need to go (check out the RTD Trip Planner on their website).

If you want to fly your bird around the area, I'd recommend heading west, for some mountain flying, to Steamboat Springs, Gunnison or Leadville (highest public airport in North America). If you don't want to fly into the mountains, you could head south to Colorado Springs for nice flights near Pike's Peak, continue on to Pueblo, for a nice Aviation Museum visit, head northwest to Boulder for a nice short flight, or farther north up to Fort Collins. Google is your friend, for things to do, and there's lots to do here.

P.S. Just please don't encourage any more people to move here, okay? ;)

Just did this trip on our way home from OSH Kosh. Landed at Front Range KFTJ. Friendly FBO gave us a ride to hotel.

Then we flew down to KCOS which was our real destination. There we attended a conference for B26 crew (They are pretty old now :) ). Go to the Museum at the airport!! They have some cool stuff - including the only fully functional Link trainer. Then of course fight the busy crows at the Garden of the Gods... maybe go to AFA... flyfishing ponds near by etc... Two FBOs at KCOS. we used Jet Center this time - have used Cutter in Phoenix before.... Jet Center worked well! Had a bit of a walk to the plane on the flight line -- but was ok as it was parked next to a few F18s and CV22

Thanks for the info! Planning to head to KAPA tomorrow morning assuming wx holds, with hopes of checking a few sights off the list and doing recon for the next trip. Seems like there is plenty to do in the area and at 4:30 from home it?s a doable weekend trip.

The smoke from fires out west in California and other western states has been lingering here for weeks. Normal vis is 50-100 miles and lately you are lucky to get 10-20. The state is too beautiful too fly around in a haze and barely see the silhouettes of the peaks.

I'd look at a later date for a sightseeing flight over our area. Winter provides for some of the best flying weather, snowy peaks,clear blue skies, and no thunderstorms.

Cheers Hans

Back