Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Default Considering a Larger Backup Battery

Hello Ross,

I am impressed with your progress and game plan for the CPI2 and have pretty much made my mind up to purchase one this winter. I have a question regarding a backup battery. I will be adding a Skyview flat panel at the same time and it also needs a backup battery. I am thinking about using a single lithium iron phosphate (10-12 Ah) backup battery to power the CPI2 and the avionics bus in case a voltage problem occurs. This should give me plenty of time to sort out the problem and get to an airport. Will the CPI2 keep this larger backup battery charged and be able to switch over and have the capacity to also supply current to the Avionics bus, or will I need to manually charge and switch on the backup battery? What are your concerns with this idea?

Last edited by mfshook62 : 08-07-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfshook62 View Post
Hello Ross,

I am impressed with your progress and game plan for the CPI2 and have pretty much made my mind up to purchase one this winter. I have a question regarding a backup battery. I will be adding a Skyview flat panel at the same time and it also needs a backup battery. I am thinking about using a single lithium iron phosphate (10-12 Ah) backup battery to power the CPI2 and the avionics bus in case a voltage problem occurs. This should give me plenty of time to sort out the problem and get to an airport. Will the CPI2 keep this larger backup battery charged and be able to switch over and have the capacity to also supply current to the Avionics bus, or will I need to manually charge and switch on the backup battery? What are your concerns with this idea?
Mike, we appreciate you waiting for the CPI2.

We charge the backup battery at a very low rate to just keep it topped up. There is no provision to charge this battery if the alternator takes a dump but with 10-12 Ah, you can run the CPI2 for several hours. It will automatically switch over to the backup when voltage falls below a preset value. We also have selectable thresholds for different battery chemistries.

Not sure what kind of current the Skyview draws or how long you want to run after the alternator dies but all that is pretty easy to calculate if current draw is known.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Want to Keep My Key Switch

Hello Ross,

I'm sure many folks, myself included, will be converting from traditional magnetos or PMags to the CPI2, and we all need to decide what to do with the key switch and existing p-leads. I don’t like the idea of removing the key switch and possibly replacing it with two ignition on-off switches and a start button. I have looked at the wiring diagram on your website to use the existing p-leads to activate a relay to power the ignition modules. I would much prefer to use the p-lead to momentarily shut off the ignition for a mag check than to depend on a p-lead powered relay to provide full time 12 volts to an ignition module.

I know that it is late in the CPI2 introduction process, but I have a request. Is there anywhere in the new CPI2 module to add a p-lead to momentarily ground out a component that powers the coil pack to enable a mag check? This will make the conversion to the CPI2 more conventional, easier to install and, in my reasoning, more reliable. And we can keep our fully functioning key switch.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Last edited by mfshook62 : 08-13-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 PM

The CPI2 has a built in "mag check" window to verify operation of the 2 systems so you don't need any external switches if you don't want them.

Alternately, you can use the center pin (87A) on a VF4 relay hooked to your old key switch ground to turn coil power off.

http://www.sdsefi.com/magswitchrelay.pdf

Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Completing some RF interference testing on the boards today and happy how that went. There will be some more thermal imaging done on the board soon before we freeze the PCB design and send it off for production before month end hopefully.

Keypad layout is frozen now. That will go out for quotes soon too.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfshook62 View Post
Hello Ross,

I know that it is late in the CPI2 introduction process, but I have a request. Is there anywhere in the new CPI2 module to add a p-lead to momentarily ground out a component that powers the coil pack to enable a mag check? This will make the conversion to the CPI2 more conventional, easier to install and, in my reasoning, more reliable. And we can keep our fully functioning key switch.

Thanks for your time,

Mike
Mike, Iíve sent you a PM