What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator/Starter Bracket

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
Okay this may be a stupid question, but it's not immediately obvious to me after looking at many installs. Why are some alternators mounted with a bracket that ties it to the starter and some are not? It doesn't seem to be a difference between case or boss mount. Some education on the matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The starter to alternator mount support was just used as an additional support to help prevent alternator mount cracking. There are some certified installation that also have an additional support on the rear of the alternator mount that mounts a bracket from the alternator mount to the machined boss behind the boss used for the main alternator mount. In the certified world there were issues with some alternator mount cracking over time.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Ah that makes sense. I'm using a 90A alt on a IO-540, so somewhat less vibration from the 6 cyl. Making my own bracket from 1/4" thk 4130A. I'll start without the starter tie-in and just check the bracket with time. Thanks.

Airboat automotive parts?

I've always wondered about the alternators and starters from the airboat crowd. They seem to use a Toyota starter with some brackets, which one can buy for around $100. Alternator also seems to be an automotive unit with some bracketry.

They don't want to strand their airboat in the middle of an alligator-infested swamp any more than we like to glide our aircraft, so this stuff should be reliable as well.

Anyone ever looked into this?

I've always wondered about the alternators and starters from the airboat crowd. They seem to use a Toyota starter with some brackets, which one can buy for around $100. Alternator also seems to be an automotive unit with some bracketry.

They don't want to strand their airboat in the middle of an alligator-infested swamp any more than we like to glide our aircraft, so this stuff should be reliable as well.

i believe it was mark landoll that made a bracket that used a datsun 280z starter for the lycoming. I have one that i bought from my neighbor years ago and it works great. I don't think they are available new anymore, but one might be found use.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I gave up on automotive alternators. I ended up replacing one a year. I put in a plane power unit.

I've got two brand new fresh automotive ones on the shelf if anyone wants.

i believe it was mark landoll that made a bracket that used a datsun 280z starter for the lycoming. I have one that i bought from my neighbor years ago and it works great. I don't think they are available new anymore, but one might be found use.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Back in the day, Mark used to sell about six per week, along with his harmonic dampers. Every time I went by his hangar, he was shipping something, or building another airplane...

Back