What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynafocal bolts?

Pixair

Are the latest dynafocal bolt kits shipping with undrilled bolts and Nyloc nuts (AN365) instead of castle nuts? Talking about the mount to engine bolts.
Will call Van?s in the morning.
Thanks
Pixair

Yes, my bolts were undrilled but came with all-metal locknuts, not nylon insert ones. Ordered about a month or two ago.

I did that when I mounted my engine about 4-5 years ago. I just copied the certified mounting system from the O-360 in my Grumman Tiger

The nylon nuts were a mistake. They should be steel locknuts. I came across this in early May with mine and they were supposed to track everyone down who were mistakenly given the wrong hardware because it is a safety issue.

Chiming in on an old thread: Mine (Aug 2020) also specified regular undrilled AN7 bolts and MS20365 metal lock nuts. I'm curious about what would cause Vans to change this specification, because I'm sure I've seen builds with castle nuts + cotter pins for these fasteners. Perhaps my mechanical knowledge is way too rudimentary, but I've always thought of cottered castle nuts as "more secure" for whatever reason.

On a separate topic, I noticed that for the mount-to-firewall bolts, for -A configuration, at least -7A, Vans calls out undrilled AN6 hardware and AN365 nylon lock nuts (on the cabin side); whereas for taildragger configuration, Vans calls out drilled AN6 bolts, cottered castle nuts on the engine side. Curious.

Back