What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iCom A210 issues

N941WR

Legacy Member
My A210 com radio is going back forb repair. This is the second time it has gone in.

The first time was because the automatic squelch didn't squelch, which is what it is doing again. Only this time the squelch will work after the radio warms up for half an hour.

The other issue is that the display was fuzzy and just stopped working altogether. When I removed the radio, the ribbon cable fell out of the connector, which explains the display issue.

Have any of the rest of you run into these issues?

I haven't run in to those specific issues but I have had several issues with mine. I have had to replace the main board twice due ribbon cable issues. I'm not sure I could be anymore careful with the ribbon cable but they say that has been to blame.

If I had to do it all over again, I would certainly purchase a different radio (and I will for my RV-8 project).

I'm afraid they are going to blame me for the cable issue and I never removed it because of the issue with pulling it out of the connector.

I like the radio and bought it because of the three audio inputs that allows me to mix the EFiS and other audio warnings without an audio panel.

I would add that the only real issue I have had with this radio ever since the original problem with the squelch (after the firmware upgrades that fixed the features of the radio) is the knob for the volume is way too easy to turn accidentally. I did this once while departing controlled airspace in turbulence and did not know my volume was down.....

Have had an A-210 in my airplane since the first time they went on sale at OSH. This radio replaced an A-200.

General observations...
1) the A200 has a more sensitive receiver
2) the A200 rotary encoder failed to function a couple of times in cold weather, making it impossible to change frequencies for a few minutes.
3) the A210 display is fantastic
4) the A210 works great for night flight without any external dimming input
5) the ribbon cable on the A210 is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen in modern avionics design. This radio clearly was designed by a team that does not have an active homebuilder as a participant.

All that having been said, my A210 has been bullet-proof and I'd install another one in a heartbeat.

My A210 com radio is going back forb repair. This is the second time it has gone in.

The first time was because the automatic squelch didn't squelch, which is what it is doing again. Only this time the squelch will work after the radio warms up for half an hour.

The other issue is that the display was fuzzy and just stopped working altogether. When I removed the radio, the ribbon cable fell out of the connector, which explains the display issue.

My new (purchased at Sun-N-Fun this year) A210 doesn't squelch either no matter how high I have the squelch adjusted. It replaced an A200 that worked flawlessly for 7 years. I guess I have to contact Icom for repair.

:cool:

Hi Bill,

I am having exactly the same issue as you with squelch, annoying when cold, after 15 minutes or so it starts to behave itself. On one accession a few weeks ago, the squelch went nuts after I had been flying for about 3 hours and stayed open, this was really really annoying.

I don’t want to send my radio back as I do not have a backup....

Cheers

My new (purchased at Sun-N-Fun this year) A210 doesn't squelch either no matter how high I have the squelch adjusted. It replaced an A200 that worked flawlessly for 7 years. I guess I have to contact Icom for repair.

Send it in before your warranty expires but be very careful with the ribbon cable! The first time I sent mine in they told me the cable was damaged and that they were going to do me a favor and not charge me for the repair.

The thing is, I was well aware of the cable issue and installed the radio without removing the cable from the faceplate and was very careful not to stress it.

Update

iCom received the radio on December 17th, two days after I shipped it.

Service said it will be 10 days before they get to it. Toss in the holidays and they probably won't touch it until early January. In other words, I won't have it back until mid January, at the earliest.

The next time this thing dies, it will be replaced with something else.

Last edited:
When you guys note that the squelch doesn't work, does the Rx light show up on the screen? Periodically I get a scratchy noise, as if someone else's mike is stuck open and the Rx light comes on. Any legitimate incoming or outgoing transmit will override the scratchy noise, and it generally only lasts for 10-20 seconds, but it's still annoying. Is this what the rest of you are talking about?

Mine froze up in the middle of changing frequencies. Stuck on the last frequency selected and just displays the Icom logo. I had a new Garmin GTN 650 on the bench to be installed after the first of the year. It is now in the airplane and the A210 will be sent in for repair after the first of the year. When returned, it will become the second radio as I am starting my trek toward an IFR rating.

After the software upgrades, in the beginning, the radio has performed just fine; except for dying :eek:

My Icom 210 with 77 hours on it was purchased new about 2.5 years ago and it also breaks squelch at times. I'm trying to figure out a pattern to it and so far it seems to be arbitrary. I haven't touched the squelch internal adjustment in the memory yet. I agree it is very annoying and seems to happen at the most in-opportune time.

Ditto what others have said: readout and dials are great, ribbon cable design is the pits.

Jim

Replaced

The ICOM 210 is awkward from the ribbon cable, to installation & operation. The architecture is dated. Because they are plug compatible, I replaced an A-200 with an A-210; that was the ONLY benefit. Within 2 days of usage I had a condition occur where I could hear the tower, could not see the freq or chg it. The A-210 was abandoned for a GTR 200. Prices of both are comparable & re-wiring straightfwd. Now have 80 hrs flawless operation on GTR 200.

The GTR 200 looks like a nice option but when I replace the iCom I'm going to have to find some way to incorporate my three mono input signals into my intercom. Currently all those audio outs go through the iCom. In fact, the availability of those three inputs is why I bought the iCom.

Ya gotta watch them!

Today I received the Repair Estimate from iCom. It came to $270.91 and only listed the cable repair and made no mention of the squelch problem, even though it was the first thing listed on the Repair Submission Form.

After receiving the estimate, I called them and asked about the squelch issue and was told that the tech may have missed that and they were going to make sure he addressed it. I wonder if that means my estimate will go up?

The estimate was half labor and half parts (new ribbon cable), which I think is completely BS since they know they have a bad design!

The estimate was half labor and half parts (new ribbon cable), which I think is completely BS since they know they have a bad design!

I bought a couple spare ribbon cables when mine went back for the original firmware updates and I think they were a couple bucks each. Still have one of them in my stash.

The GTR 200 looks like a nice option but when I replace the iCom I'm going to have to find some way to incorporate my three mono input signals into my intercom. Currently all those audio outs go through the iCom. In fact, the availability of those three inputs is why I bought the iCom.

You can buy an audio mixer for about $60, or build your own for less than $10.

Yesterday, January 5th, my radio landed back on my doorstep. Included was an invoice for over $300, including shipping.

I got home late from our EAA chapter meeting and didn't do anything other thsn open the box. Tonight I will slide it in and test it.

If/when the radio dies again, I will install a Dynon radio and intercom!

Last edited:
Hey Bill--
I wonder how many potential Icom customers or current customers read this forum, or does Icom not care. Seems to me that they would make an effort to reach out to someone---like yourself--and take care of the problem. HUM----guess not.
Tom

Hey Bill--
I wonder how many potential Icom customers or current customers read this forum, or does Icom not care. Seems to me that they would make an effort to reach out to someone---like yourself--and take care of the problem. HUM----guess not.
Tom

Back when it was originally introduced, the A210 offered good value to most of us in this market.

Since then, so many newer options have been made available with much better looking feature sets at great prices that I doubt many people would consider this radio anyway. No shortage of radio options these days! :)

Last edited:
Yesterday, January 5th, my radio landed back on my doorstep. Included was an invoice for over $300, including shipping.

I got home late from our EAA chapter meeting and didn't do anything other thsn open the box. Tonight I will slide it in and test it.

If/when the radio dies again, I will install a Dynon radio and intercom!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not a good sign. Lets see what they do when I return my 1yr old A210 for the same problem.

Hey Bill--
Tom

I did not post this thread to try and leverage iCom into cutting me a deal. In fact, I would be surprised if they even read this forum.

I did make sure they knew this was the second time it went back for the squelch problem. The ribbon cable falling off, was secondary, even if it is a poor design. That didn't get me any discount.

My reason for posting this was to let others know that even though my radio had the software upgrade for the squelch issue, the problem returned and to be VERY careful with the ribbon cable that attaches to the faceplate. This might have been much less expensive, had that POS cable not fallen off.

I did not post this thread to try and leverage iCom into cutting me a deal. In fact, I would be surprised if they even read this forum.

I did make sure they knew this was the second time it went back for the squelch problem. The ribbon cable falling off, was secondary, even if it is a poor design. That didn't get me any discount.

My reason for posting this was to let others know that even though my radio had the software upgrade for the squelch issue, the problem returned and to be VERY careful with the ribbon cable that attaches to the faceplate. This might have been much less expensive, had that POS cable not fallen off.

When did you get the "software upgrade" for the squelch problem? I wonder if my radio has the "upgraded software". Mine has the same issue and I bought it at Sun-N-Fun this year.

When did you get the "software upgrade" for the squelch problem? I wonder if my radio has the "upgraded software". Mine has the same issue and I bought it at Sun-N-Fun this year.

It was sent back in January 2013 for the first I upgrade. I'm not really sure what, if anything, they did this time. (I haven't read the paperwork yet. It is possible that the cable issue was causing the squelch issue.)

I did make sure they knew this was the second time it went back for the squelch problem.
Bill, was your squelch problem intermittent or pretty constant? Occasionally at my home airport and at an airport in Spokane my Rx light comes on and I get scratchy noise even though no one is transmitting. Kind of like someone's stuck mike. Were your symptoms like that?

Based on your experience, and $300 bill, I'm not inclined to fix it at this point because it's more a nuisance than anything else, but it would be nice to know if I've identified the problem.

Last edited:
Steve, it would give 100% static, with clear incoming radio calls, for a half an hour to a full hour of first power up of the day. Then the static would go away. It was almost as if it was fine, after it warmed up.

They do have a software fix that should be free, but my big bill was because the cable pulled off. I would give them a call before you decide anything. Be forewarned, the first time mine went back, they said I damaged the cable (I had NOT!) and they were doing me a favor by not charging me for the repair. This second time around, they really stuck it to me!)

Last edited:
Just installed the radio, it seems to be working fine. I just wish I could have taken photos of all my settings before sending it off for repair.

The repair notes list the following:

Icom America said:
Repair Description:
Replaced ribbon cable and E.L. display. Aligned and set radio to all specs.
EL display had corrosion damage. We checked all boards and cleaned any likely contamination but some might be hidden damage so we cannot guarantee any future performance.
Note: when removing ribbon cable. pull only on cable and not do not pry on connector - very costly to repair board. Follow guidelines in attached note.

As for the corrosion damage, this year I was caught in hone tremendous rain storm and the tip-up leaked, but I have a cloth cover to keep the radios dry and on another trip, I forgot to put the canopy cover on and when I opened the tip-up, that dew ran down the canopy, into the plane. Again, the cloth cover between the two panels shield the instruments but in both cases, the inside of the plane got wet. I wonder if the evaporation would have caused this "corrosion damage"?

I came up with a new way to install the radio, that completely avoids the problem with the ribbon cable.

Insert the radio into the tray, with the display still attached. Unscrew the display, tilt it forward just enough to expose the tray screw but do not pull it way from the radio body. Tighten the tray screw and then place the display back into position and gently tighten the display screws.

Icom

I was flying last weekend and radio quit sending or receiving. Not good. After landing at a remote airport in the desert, I took faceplate off, re-seated the ribbon cable and now everything works fine. I will now check the ribbon cable at annual and make sure its properly seated. I like the radio but the cable that's a weakpoint. I would advise all to check or replace ribbon cable. efore sending in radio. If yiu damage the ribbon cable, they are $4 a piece.

Had I known about this wekpoint, I would have paid more and got a garmin. Now considering installing a Dynon as a second radio tied into audio panel.:cool:

ICOM squeal

Is this a new problem?
Yesterday coming back from Utah the a210 started to squeal whenever push to talk was pushed. Same for copilot push to talk. Receive was OK. Anybody experienced this? Landed carefully in Byron to negotiate a nor do approach to Livermore, that worked well but now I have to figure out what is wrong.

Is this a new problem?
Yesterday coming back from Utah the a210 started to squeal whenever push to talk was pushed. Same for copilot push to talk. Receive was OK. Anybody experienced this? Landed carefully in Byron to negotiate a nor do approach to Livermore, that worked well but now I have to figure out what is wrong.

Try this simple check - clean the headset plugs, the squeal issue is most often due a result of a grounding issue between the plugs & jacks.:)

HTH

Jake J

Try this simple check - clean the headset plugs, the squeal issue is most often due a result of a grounding issue between the plugs & jacks.:)

HTH

Jake J

You can use a white eraser to clean the jacks. They are slightly abrasive and can work wonders at cleaning the surface of plugs.

a210 squeal solved

Once again I have found that if any of the headphone jacks shorts to the panel bad things happen and the insulating washers don't work very well. Look

I got my A210 back from Icom and after three flights it looks like the squelch issue has been corrected. Nothing in the paperwork indicates what they did but as long as it works correctly I am satisfied. Whatever they did was covered by warranty.
:confused:

But now my Garmin 430W doesn't read the datacard and the radio is way outside the warranty period. Garmin has a $900.00 flat rate to repair a G430W and it must be sent to them from a dealer. SHEESH!!!
:mad:

Back