What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna and transponder location

ka6dan

Well Known Member
Will installing a com antenna in near proximity to my transponder going to create any interference issues? My GTX 23 transponder is mounted under the baggage compartment floor and I am considering mounting a com antenna less than a foot away.

Perhaps I didn't word my question well. The transponder antenna is several feet aft of the location I've selected for the com antenna but will be less than a foot from the transponder unit. The object is to get the antenna 2' from the 9A landing gear. Will the transponder adjacent to the com antenna be a problem?

Last edited:
From page 2-2 of the GTX 23 Installation Manual (Rev A):

"Avoid mounting the antenna within three feet of the ADF sense antenna or any other communication antenna."

edit: same text appears in Rev C, but is on page 2-3.

Last edited:
I had the same dilemma and consulted Stein. I ended up with two bent whip comms with the base just behind the spar, one ads-b transponder up by the firewall, and the second transponder way back behind the baggage, just aft of the elevator bell crank. That gave me the clearance specified.

Do you have the comms, and other antenna, installed yet?

A good rule of thumb is that no other antenna should be within the length of the antenna.
i.e. A com antenna is approximately 22" long, therefore no other antenna should be within 22" of the base.

Back