What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 spar flange bend tool

SeanM

Ok it's a real long shot, but figured I'd try here anyways. I would love to get the flap gap fairings installed, but I've been in a holding pattern since September waiting for the spar flange bend tool to become available.

Vans says the person who has the tool isn't responding to their requests to return the tool.

If anyone knows who has the tool, could you make sure they haven't died? And if not relay a kind message to please send the tool back? :) I would be forever grateful.

Last edited:
Ok it's a real long shot, but figured I'd try here anyways. I would love the get the flap gap fairings installed, but I've been in a holding pattern since September waiting for the spar flange bend tool to become available.

Vans says the person who has the tool isn't responding to their requests to return the tool.

If anyone knows who has the tool, could you make sure they haven't died? And if not relay a kind message to please send the tool back? :) I would be forever grateful.

Sean,

I have no idea where the tool is, but I was wondering if you could elaborate more on the need for a special tool. I haven't heard about this. I'm not flying yet, so I would like to know if I need to do something to my flap gap fairings. Thanks.

The wing trailing edge will curl up, creating a "ski jump" (see picture below). I read that dimpling the rear spar can change the flange bend angle. The tool they lend out lets you bend the flange back down.

The flap gap fairings pull the trailing edge back down, but there is a very small wave. Honestly it's barely perceptible on a finished painted wing, and you would never know it was there unless you were specifically looking for it.

Nobody has posted a picture of the flange bend tool (that I have seen) and how to use it. I will try to do that for posterity if I'm ever able to obtain it :)

Kkfryhn.jpg

aka - the rear spar ski jump

Nobody has posted a picture of the flange bend tool (that I have seen) and how to use it. I will try to do that for posterity if I'm ever able to obtain it :)

Rivetbangers had a picture...

Vans%20Ski%20Jump%20Fix%20tool%20sml.JPG

Clamp and bend....:)

It's a pretty sweet tool. I used it last fall on my RV7 wings. I couldn't come up with the right combination of parts and pieces here to do the job and called Vans for help.

They sent the tool out for shipping cost only. (I returned it)

Looks like an easy tool to make!

Your correct, any machinist could make this pretty easy. Most homebuilders don't have a mill to make the lower piece that you don't see in the photo, that piece holds onto the shop head of the rivets and you can carefully slide this along the wing bending as you go.

Your correct, any machinist could make this pretty easy. Most homebuilders don't have a mill to make the lower piece that you don't see in the photo, that piece holds onto the shop head of the rivets and you can carefully slide this along the wing bending as you go.

I do,,,,;)

Back