What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Crimper Question

CMBAero

Hey!

Quick question guys before I start going further with my wiring project... is there any reason why the AMP 59250 crimper would not work with the faston preinsulated terminals? Like these...(https://bandc.com/product/faston-terminal/)

I tried it and it seems to work...but by looking up on TYCO website it does mention these crimpers as only compatible with ring type AMP terminals.

Thank you

Your tool looks fine. It has two dies, one for the wire connection and one to crimp down on the insulation for strain relief. That's what you want when crimping ring terminals for aircraft use.

Your tool is a TE Connectivity / AMP made device that retails for $1,400! That bodes well for it's quality.

I had to look up the model number to see what tool you were talking about. We always just called them "red&blues" That's typically what's used for ring terminals in the wire harness fab shop for brand C in Wichita. Great tool, wish I had one in my tool box.

Hey!

Quick question guys before I start going further with my wiring project... is there any reason why the AMP 59250 crimper would not work with the faston preinsulated terminals? Like these...(https://bandc.com/product/faston-terminal/)

I tried it and it seems to work...but by looking up on TYCO website it does mention these crimpers as only compatible with ring type AMP terminals.

Thank you

The red/blue work fine with Faston terminals.

Note the spring loaded terminal retention and alignment feature on the "back" side of the 59250. That is the reason it is intended for a ring terminal specifically.

Bonus content AMP 59250:

i-LLPPjCR-M.jpg

i-SmNHtB8-M.jpg

i-N5TR5xw-M.jpg

i-CHdSnD5-M.jpg

You can jam the faston in there, but it gets a little funky...
i-cxhgXHk-M.jpg

i-zGjQG8n-M.jpg

i-kMWmTtk-M.jpg

If you do this, be careful and check your work. Note the lack of a fully formed crimp on the faston.
i-sDm4k6T-M.jpg

i-xkzKD3V-M.jpg

Thanks guys!

I knew the alignment jig on the back was for ring terminals but I wasn't sure about using this crimper for the faston.

I got this crimper on ebay a couple years back as surplus/new for a really good deal and never really had an idea of what I would be using as terminals on my plane back then... I also have the bigger brother version for the yellow ring terminals...

I did open up one connector and it does seem like the red/blue crimps the back part on the insulation really tight but does not seem to crimp all the way the wiring like scard as shown!

Are you sure Walt that you had success using these for the fast-on?

I do have a PRO'S Kit Crimper that I bought from steinair for doing coax... I wonder if I should just buy the dies for the faston for these instead!? Anybody else used the red/blue on fast on with success before?

Thanks

Anybody else used the red/blue on fast on with success before?

Yes. After reading the AeroElectric Connection, I bought an eBay 59250 crimper as recommended and used it for 100% of my faston terminal crimps. Zero electrical problems after 800+ hours which I consider success. I always adjust the screw with 1-4 settings to give a full crimp.

Back