What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice needed-Grove Aluminum Gear

cguarino

Well Known Member
Looking for some advice. I recently bought a -8 kit that included both the standard gear and the Grove aluminum gear (non airfoil). Both are used, and the standard gear already has fairings on it matched to wheel pants. The grove gear is bare. Which way should I go with this? I like the idea of the weight savings but I also like the idea of less fiberglass work. I don't even know what gear fairings fit the grove gear. Whichever I chose, I have a sale for the other set of gear. What is a set of used standard gear worth and what is a set of used grove gear worth? Last question, is the grove gear as sturdy as the Van's gear. I fly on a lot of grass. Thanks.

The fuselage kit credit for deleting the standard gear was $610 when I ordered my kit. That's not what you would pay if ordering separately from Van's. (U-801-L-PC, U-801-R-PC)
I think the non-airfoil Grove gear were around $2000, but I can't find my invoice and they are not listed on the Grove website at the current time.
You have to use Rocket leg fairings with the Grove gear.
A typical used price range would be 50-75% of new.

Be aware that there are different saddles and bolts for the two gear types.

I'd be tempted to use the standard and get flying sooner if the glass work is good.

The money you would get from the sale of the Grove gear would help buy avionics, or paint, or upholstery, or whatever.
The time you would save on glass work would be about a week, assuming you can find the Rocket fairings.

On the other hand, depending on how weight-critical your mission is, the weight savings will pay dividends for the entire time you own it.

Which ever way you decide to go, PLEASE use the good NAS1804-6 nuts, not the poor NAS679-6 nuts that are (or used to be) supplied with the kit for the gear attach bolts.

Grove gear

I have the Grove gear on My RV8. I recommend it highly. The fairings to the wheels pants are no more difficult than for the regular gear, however I spent weeks trying to manufacture my own fuselage transition fairings. They were reasonable, but not as good as I wanted. I found Fairings unlimited are now manufacturing the transition fairings for the Grove gear legs. They are excellent, and of course with my aerofoil Grove gear legs I didn't need glass fairings.

I have a set of the supplied gear legs which are available if anyone would like them.

I hope that this is useful to you. Brent Owen

Grove

Looking for some advice. I recently bought a -8 kit that included both the standard gear and the Grove aluminum gear (non airfoil). Both are used, and the standard gear already has fairings on it matched to wheel pants. The grove gear is bare. Which way should I go with this? I like the idea of the weight savings but I also like the idea of less fiberglass work. I don't even know what gear fairings fit the grove gear. Whichever I chose, I have a sale for the other set of gear. What is a set of used standard gear worth and what is a set of used grove gear worth? Last question, is the grove gear as sturdy as the Van's gear. I fly on a lot of grass. Thanks.

I would be interested in the Grove gear if you decide to sell them..
let me know.. thanks!

Back