What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Cowl Spinner Parts

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Hi All,

We have an RV8 with an early Sam James cowl. (It's actually the first one, my Dad prototyped it with Sam.) Does anybody know what spinners were typically used with these cowls? According to their website the cowl kits do not come with spinners, and I need parts for mine. I tried emailing the guys who make the cowlings now but so far no response.

The part I need is the centering ring that goes over the prop dome.

oHe.jpg

oHv.jpg

Thanks,
DEM

I got a really cool carbon fiber spinner from Catto. It is crazy nice. I think it had the center "ring" built in. I will look through some photos and see if I took any of the inside.

Thanks guys. I did hear back from James Cowls and they do not provide the spinners. It doesn't appear to be a stock Vans spinner as according to the rv8 drawings those use a back and a front plate. My spinner doesn't have a front plate. Instead it has a molded in bulkhead that appears to slip over the prop dome with a centering ring. That centering ring is what I'm looking for.

The prop is an American Composite Propeller which as far as I can tell is no longer supported. I recall Dad saying one time that they used a McCauley hub but I don't know that for sure.

I guess I can turn up a new ring out of delrin, but I'd like to try and find what it's supposed to be before I go down that road.

Thanks
Dennis Martin

Dennis,
Whirlwind props makes their own spinner for the Vans 13" cowl.
There props use the McCauley hubs like yours.
I doubt they sell parts but surely they sell complete spinners.
Thinking they had spinner drawings on the website.
You could ask....good luck

Back