What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerolab Gascolator

Another RV-10 install

Just a couple of pics of another RV-10 install using the Aerolab Filter.
I really like how easy the install is with the drill template and servicing and inspecting this filter is so easy.

available from,
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm

A big improvement over the traditional "filter in the tunnel" model from stock installs.

ACtC-3fYeSB4_x2AY1nOg6fLRqk3RpepxJsmLZhxn9Fj5OUno9Gt9PCF4uLtWbiITn1RYdjcxy8lM8aHycB-N_bd31XBB0RLaHQiyfpBkMeZgdH0OCN_r5kI9Wdui6BEEq69d42eP3GuPqFH8hzwuZuT6wX4OQ=w1124-h843

ACtC-3cf7SuqiCvB23uY3iRI3E9sDD0OTWp5Kp7DS6-P8iCBGKyBh6ev744eE__FcozMu3JXmIaZGwKIAOwNyXpFtR_zQfj7Gm3Z51VoqWLc3lTzphd-MfCx0VJbxpTsy-ISXdoGS8ALcyEHEEr2uW3kjXHepA=w633-h843

Aerolabs install

Just to let you know---we've had some inquiries from our Canadian members about putting the Aerolabs gascolators in the RV10s and 14s to satisfy the MDRA requirements. We've done some 'crude' mockups---crude being the operative word--with the install in the wing roots along with shutoff valves to service the filter. Even though the 10 and 14 share a similar tank end rib for the supply and return ports(if needed for SDS/EFii systems), the fuselage bulkhead fittings or passthroughs are in different locations and require completely different plumbing.
We took our root filter package for the 10s and 14s and came up with a way to do this. We just havent done a real mock up yet, but have a pretty good idea on what it will take. More later!
Tom

Red Plunger is the fuel shut off

Hey Tom,
The red plunger you can see in the photo above is dual purpose.
It serves to lock the screw on filter in place. ( spring loaded )
Once the filter is removed, the plunger comes all the way down to cut off the fuel flow. So no external shut off valve is required.

The spring loaded plunger is a bit hard on your thumb to hold in while un-screwing so I just use a thin blade of .040 to hold it up while I service the filter.
A minor inconvenience compared to climbing into the tunnel of the RV-10

Hey Ashley----you are CORRECT!!! I tested mine and sure enough, it does stop the flow.
SO---with that revelation---we can make this easier!!
Thanks!
Tom

PIREPS

Anyone with one of these installed care to share your experience now that they've been flying for a few years? Thanks!

I have one in each wing root of my 14. Been using it for 1-1/2 years and have not had any issues with it. Very easy to remove the screen to clean. As mentioned fuel shuts off and any fuel left it the filter can be easily caught. Very nice workmanship. I purchased and extra screen and O-ring to have on hand.

I have been flying for over three years now with mine in a rv9a. So far it’s great, no mess checking the filter and MDRA in Canada likes them too.

Any install pics RV7/9?

Hi all,
I would like to install the Aerolab Gascolator in my new build RV9. Does anyone have pictures of an install in a RV7 or RV9?

I plan an injected engine, so would not use the standrad filter, and place this between the selector and pump.

Thoughts?

PilotjohnS did you end up installing this filter in your build? Fuel injected or carb?

This is a photo I took during assembly a couple of years ago. This is an RV-6 however the RV-7/9 are very similar in this area and you'd have no problems mounting the Aerolab here. I have a fuel injected engine and this filter is after the Andair tank selector but before the pump.

I didn't want to be maintaining any filters in my cabin (besides the smell and mess, its also cramped getting in and out) so the Aerolab provided to perfect solution for me. Maintenance and servicing has been easy. I'm very happy with this product and wouldn't hesitate to use another one if building again.

Attachments

• IMG-20220531-WA0000_1.jpeg
    IMG-20220531-WA0000_1.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 49
I stalled one in each wing root of my -14. Unfortunately I don't believe they are available any longer.

Back