What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using the Tailwheel strut during construction?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
If the Firewall is supported by a rotisserie, is there any reason not to use the tail wheel mount to hold up the tail? I'd guess it's stressed for all the vertical loads it might encounter during construction, but what if the fuse is on it's side or inverted? Does anyone have any sense of the engineering that went into that tube back there and what sort of side or inverted loads it can safely bear?

Tail strut

I had my 8 on a rotisserie, had a piece of PVC pipe over the tail spring /rod to keep it from getting scratched. No problems , tail is not very heavy , less than 100 lbs when mounted on my rotisserie .
Can email you pics .
Tom

No Problem At All!

Here Ya Go! G Zero finished up with it and posted it for sale here just a few weeks before I needed it....... Some lucky member will get it from me one day.......

Last edited:
Tail spring

Hey I remember that stage ! Looking good , including the firewall .
Mine should be airworthy in a couple of weeks ( paperwork !)
Tom

Great!, but...

It looks like a great way to go, but after looking again, I'd bet that the tail wheel strut is bearing about half the weight of the fuse with the rotisserie getting the other half. After finishing, with the engine out front cantilevering the weight, I bet the tail wheel gets quite a bit less weight.

Never the less, it seems like you've done the testing for me, so it's a go!

I just put a pvc pipe in the socket instead of the strut. It works fine. After its on the rotisserie, and you lift the tail, it's less than 20 pounds.

Back