What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap on U-803

Blain

Well Known Member
Doing the final torque on the outboard bolts in U-803. Left side came out well with about .030" fore and aft. On the right side however the aft bolt got to 20 ft/lbs and about .030" gap. But the forward bolt closed up to <.003" before seeing 20 ft/lbs. So I pulled it back off and filed it down until it would tighten and still have the recommended .030". I measured the thickness of the gear leg in that area and it seemed to be thinner by .008" on the forward side. Maybe just manufacturing tolerance? I assume spring gear uses a cold roll then tempered.

After all that is said, I'm curious if this is common?

Not a good picture but look close and you can see the forward gap is much less then the aft gap.

No problem....this is very common....a friend an I are both at Firewall Forward, and both of us has to sand/file U-803 to get the proper gap.

Hey! An answer! I thought I was the only one to bolt up the gear. Thanks for the response. I filed away for quite a while before I got it even.

I had the same issue with grove legs. Little sanding and it was good to go.

Also, at 40 hours I had to tighten up both sides a bit as the seemed to loosen up during the initial breakin.

Back