What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield edge guard

LyleM

On most -8s, I see what looks like a protective rubber edge molding on the back edge of the glare shield ( front top skin). I've looked all over for it and can't find one. What is it called and where might I find it? Thanks

I don't know what off-the-shelf solution you mention but I have seen few rubber trim solutions. In each case, a hard hit cuts right through the rubber and you contact the metal.

Update 1: it looks like McMasters and Cleaveland both offer a superior solution with vinyl covered metal edging.

Update 2: here is a link into the forums - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114739

I took a length of the PEX tubing many people use for pitot/static lines and cut it lengthwise, slipped it onto the edge of the metal, and then wrapped my leatherette glare screen cover material around and adhered it to the underside of the metal.

Last edited:
I bought this Plastic and Rubber Edge Trim with Metal Core from McMaster-Carr.
8451a952p1-j06l.png

To seal the edges of my tip-up I used this Edge-Grip Seal.
1120a35p1l.png

For the top of the glair shield, I used a sheet of loop Velcro fabric. That works great for securing GPS pucks, pens with a tab of hook Velcro, etc.

I purchased black auto fuel line, rubbed the white lettering off it, split it and pushed it on over the aluminum and dash carpet edge (bought at the same auto store.)

ndk5md.jpg

Last edited:
For what it's worth...

For glare shield edging I tried splitting thick wall microjet irrigation tubing but could not get it to twist and bend at the same time.

I ended up splitting 3/8" aluminum fuel line tubing and painting it black. It took the shape well and I carefully crimped it onto the glare shield which has held on so far. No adhesive.

I used another piece of the black plastic irrigation tubing to hide the joint between the glare shield and the windscreen. That I cut an inch or so longer than measured and "flexed" it into place. The tension holds it in place between the sides of the roll bar... Unfortunately no photo but it looks like it belongs there which is the whole idea... It's a bit tricky, but if needed you can grab ahold of it by the middle and pull it comes right out again...

Have fun

Or if you want to increase your build time....found this in RVator. 1/4" aluminum tube. Split with cutoff wheel inside a guide. Filled tube with epoxy and tapped into place. When through I had used 3 cutoff wheels and at least 3 times the final amount of tube needed. But the result was worth it.

The larger the edge radius, the better. This is a dangerous edge in a sudden stop. I used split aluminum 3003 tubing and several layers of split vinyl hose and finally covered with the leather I used on the top of the glare shield which was left over from seat cushion upholstery.

Edge Material

I used this product. http://www.zoro.com/g/00117005/k-G4118116?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CInfzc_A9LkCFapAMgodAB8AJQ

Cessna too.

If you look for The Cessna window edge trim in most of the catalog stops, it has worked well for us. It has the metal hold clip built into the center and a good soft plastic outer covering. Cheep, out of any of your aftermarket stores. Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

The larger the edge radius, the better. This is a dangerous edge in a sudden stop. I used split aluminum 3003 tubing and several layers of split vinyl hose and finally covered with the leather I used on the top of the glare shield which was left over from seat cushion upholstery.

Similar thinking. I slit aluminum tubing and fastened with homemade clips like the static tube clips. Covered with hot water pipe insulation (The black foam tube). Covered that with leather crafted by my wife.

What I did.

Wow, a lot of great ideas. I used the Blain setup to split some quarter inch tubing and then split some black 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD rubber hose, and slid it over the aluminium tubing. Worked great.

Edge protection

I used a combination of the above. I split 1/4" aluminum tubing and pushed it onto the glare shield. I then used 3/8 fuel tubing, removed the lettering with some solvent or another, split it and pushed it over the aluminum tubing. I figured the aluminum would be strong enough to protect the edge and the fuel tubing is softer and more esthetic. Looks good and should provide protection in case of implact.

Perfect thread ! The edge of mine is so ratty I ordered the Classic aero one. It didn't even have any strip just ghetto cut fabric on top of the shield.

Back