What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel balance difference

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Well I took the wheels off to balance them. I get a shimmy slowing down through 25-20 mph and a local guy said a balance might help. I started my flying without the wheel pant brackets so since I am ready to fit the pants I figured I would balance the wheels while they were off.

First wheel the heavy spot was near the stem but it took 3.5 ounces of weight to get the balance close! I thought I must be doing something wrong but a local builder told me sometimes they are so off you just can't get it done. I did the other wheel the the heavy side was opposite the stem and it only took 1 ounce to get a nice balance.

So what makes these tires from Van's so far off? Since I am getting ready to fit my pants and would like to go to better tires after I ware these out, is the a clearance issue using the Desser tires which I hear are good, or any other tire recommended that has a better weight distribution?

Cheers.

Tires

Mike
I had the same problem at 20 mph in my RV8 & RV7. I switched to Michelin Air with LeakStop tubes and have never looked back. I know they cost more but they made all the difference in the world or at least they did for me.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Back