- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Default 49clipper

I have one of the first SureFly units on my RV-6 as this time. So far, works extremely well (8 hrs). No RFI that I can detect from radios, headsets, etc. May be, but if so, I sure cannot detect anything from my normal flying or any of my instruments. Of course the CGT rises, in my case about 20-25 degrees. (Now I run about 300-345 at cruise) As well, the EGTs dropped about 100 degrees (for that is worth). Fuel burn went down, starting is the same (I have never had any starting issues cold or hot), I can run LOP about as far as you want to go (typ 55-65 degrees for me). I did install a set of REM37BY plugs on the four cylinders connected to the EI. That way, I could gap them at .036". So far its been plug and play. A non event, except my exhaust pipes are pure white now.
Jim
Old 09-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
From the web site -

The magneto itself isn't inherently unsafe. What makes an externally powered electronic ignition more safe than a mag is the fact that it is simply never opened-up, inspected and potentially rebuilt/overhauled like a magneto is every 500 hours. No mechanical parts to wear = Zero maintenance = a 0% chance of introducing a maintenance-related ignition failure.

It has a shaft that rotates, but probably not much else that moves. No rotor/distributor is needed since it's a wasted spark system with multiple coils. The Hall effect device that you mention is not usually a moving part.

I think the FAA certification will sort things out, something the eMags you mention never did...
I still don't buy this. A rotating shaft has bearings, bearings need service sooner or later. Electronics also have life cycles, and heat limitations. And to answer your statement about "Only RFI", no solid core wires will also produce less energy to the gap. As far as certification, they don't have that yet. Things may have to be changed. Emags sorted out when they trashed the concept and went back to the drawing board than made the pmags, which still needed many flaws repaired.

Time and usage will tell on these. Only a few being in service right now there's no way to know what their future will be. The SureFly is definitely an alternative to the pmags as far as plug and play. It's the red flags I don't like. We'll be watching..

Last edited by FasGlas : 09-01-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
I still don't buy this. A rotating shaft has bearings, bearings need service sooner or later. Electronics also have life cycles, and heat limitations. And to answer your statement about "Only RFI", no solid core wires will also produce less energy to the gap. As far as certification, they don't have that yet. Things may have to be changed. Emags sorted out when they trashed the concept and went back to the drawing board than made the pmags, which still needed many flaws repaired.

Time and usage will tell on these. Only a few being in service right now there's no way to know what their future will be. The SureFly is definitely an alternative to the pmags as far as plug and play. It's the red flags I don't like. We'll be watching..
I agree it's a wait-n-see, but I'm not as pessimistic as your view.

The rotating shaft only needs two bearings with little load on them. I think modern technology can produce sealed bearing that can go the 2000 hours on the back of a Lycoming.

As for the electronics, automotive electronics are designed for hot under-the hood locations and as far as I can tell the Slicks are designed for under 200F operation. Quite a trivial number for modern automotive electronics. A long time ago, when I was at Hughes-GMHE buying custom integrated circuits from Delco they were quite proud that their component testing exceed the Mil Spec testing we usually bought parts to. I'm sure that technology has only got better in the following two decades...

I think it's a good approach they are taking and the plan to go for the larger certified market should get us all a better product.

At around $500 for a 500 hr overhaul from a reputable magneto shop, selling a Slick as a core and buying a $1250 brand new part with no 500 hr inspection tear down required is actually a good deal.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 09-01-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Any Field Reports??

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has put on some hours on this new ignition System.
I am especially interested in the 6 cylinder Surefly System.
Anyone?
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:21 AM

Default 49clipper

Ernie,
35 hrs and zero issues. Time will tell. The only thing that is different is the light white color of the exhaust pipes. My cruise chts are running from 290-330f typically. My 320 has always run very cool though. Those went up very slightly after installing the SureFly. Peak EGT used to be about 1425f but now is about 100f cooler. Normal I think, due to all the fuel being used in the cylinder and not in the exhaust pipe.
I like the fact its just about plug and play and I don't have to worry about setting the advance, it does all the work. YMMV
Jim
RV-6 O-320-D1A
Old 11-27-2016, 11:15 AM

Default Power wire?

Thanks Jim,

I am just a little impatient an curious but the info on SureFly's website is just a bit scarce.
I see on the spec sheet there is a P lead terminal and case ground as well as a power wire terminal specifying a 500mA average current draw.
I have independent switches for my magneto and LSE ignition.
Do you now switch the power wire on and off or simply keep the magneto wiring in place and add a switch or CB to power the SureFly? I assume it would be on with the master or better yet like the LSE, bypass the master and wire directly to the battery via a PCB. This would ensure power to the ignition would stay on even if all other power had to be turned off for any electrical emergencies.
How did you solve this issue?
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Default 49clipper

Ernie,
I gave that power source a lot of thought. I kept thinking that I needed to put a separate toggle switch on the panel (with breaker) and use it to turn on the power to the surefly. But, after lots of thought, and talking to them, I decided against it as it was just more wiring (and complication) than needed. I fused the power wire from the master switch. (I did lose a master solenoid once on this airplane, so that I guess would kill the ignition) I guess one could wire it on the hot side of the solenoid and switch it. There are all kinds of ways to do the same thing. but, if the master is off, the system is dead, period.
The one thing I would never ever, ever do is remove both mags. Not on my airplane. In my 44 years of flying and over 4000hrs, I have had 3 engine out landings, but none were caused from a mag. I did have one mag quit once, but the other one got me home. Mags are simple and if you keep them in good shape, best device ever made, but I do love the efficiency of the electronic ignition system.
Jim
Old 01-26-2020, 12:46 PM

How would you replace the aircraft plug connectors with automotive plug connectors on a Slick harness?

George
Old 01-26-2020, 03:57 PM

I may be wrong or not understanding your question. I believe you use slick harness and standard aircraft plugs, or replace harness to use automotive plugs and adapters. If I’m incorrect, and I am often, we both will learn something. I like learning.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the same harness and spark plugs are used.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Checkpoints" monthly column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com