What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A bungalow in Maine

I was going to write my own trip report but since this one captures half of my trip I will just supplement this one. Forgive me, I came late to this post and the sequential order is amiss.

The plan was to fly to Rockland, ME for LobsterFest. Stay overnight and then head to the Bungalow. I was to meet Vlad somewhere enroute and we would land together. Other RVers might show up as well. As Vlad has already explained, that didn't happen. He slept in and was late.

I was over NYC and monitoring 123.45 for the famous Russian accent. NIET! No voice. Out of the blue I hear "Any RVs on this frequency?" I replied "Of course, who is this?" It was SmilingJack in his RV8 about 90 miles ahead of us enroute to Rockland. We chatted a bit and agreed to see each other in an hour or so.

EVERY runway was in use as the winds were light. They had air carriers, bi-planes, non-radio planes controlled by an on scene Air Boss who would be shutting the airspace down at 1pm for an airshow. We had to hurry!! Here we are turning final.
_DSC0036.JPG

_DSC0038.JPG

We landed just in time and SmilingJack marshalled me into a vacant tie down. I thought he was a line man at first!! We tied down and he explains there is an airshow and THAT is the reason for HIS visit. I didn't know about the airshow and WE came just for the Lobster!! We decided to watch the airshow before heading into town. We waiting for a ride to the other side of the airport but it never came. No biggie though, we still watched the airshow from the GA ramp and didn't have to pay the $15 show fee. Here are the 3 performers....a Zero, a Corsair and a Mustang.

_DSC0040.JPG

Pulling some serious Gs.
_DSC0042.JPG

_DSC0047.JPG

Through the roar of those big engines we spoke of building RVs, options, equippment, etc. John's wife, Vanessa, and my wife, Amy, got to chat about a few other topics so they didn't get too bored.

We checked the Russian tracker and discovered he was nearby but couldn't get into the airspace just yet so we waited for him. We half expected him to join the 3 ship in a fly-by. As the show ended he DID make a fly-by in his SHINY -9A. The reflection almost blinded me but I knew it was him because there is no mistaking that WHISTLING sound of the -9. I checked the comm (email is all Vlad uses because he is too cheap to get a cell phone for texts), he explained he was doing a fly-by but heading to the Bungalow since it was already 3pm. No LobsterFest for him.

This is the second outing he was supposed to meet SmilingJack but failed to show. SmilingJack concluded they may never meet since they were arch enemies during some "Freezing War". :eek:

So we got a taxi, headed to the hotel to check in and drop off bags and then straight to the fest. THIS is why we came!
_DSC0064.JPG

Beautiful town!
_DSC0075.JPG

Beautiful weather!
_DSC0067.JPG

Beautiful Lobster!
_DSC0057.JPG

Even the Navy showed up!
_DSC0065.JPG

We had to get a stuffed lobster for the niece!
_DSC0068.JPG

By this time the drinks were flowing pretty good! The rule is, more drinks, less pics!! Especially when I start taking pics like this!
_DSC0061.JPG

Even this guy thought I was crazy!!
_DSC0063.JPG

Off to bed early that night, fog was settling in over the coast so we knew we didn't have to wake early for the airport. It would burn off by 11 or so and we would depart for Rangley.

Here it is, Knox County airport!
_DSC0083.JPG

I texted the Captain and asked about weather at Rangley, he said beautiful blue skies and plenty of room at the inn. Bring Bugs. I asked if he had bug spray anticipating a lot of mosquitos in the mountains of Maine. He said he had everything needed for bugs.

And here is the fog that was supposed to be gone by now!
_DSC0084.JPG

This is an excellent argument to equip for IFR. Just 5 miles inland and they had blue skies.

So while we waited for the fog to lift at noon, we had another Lobster roll.
_DSC0085.JPG

Man are they good!!

Noon came and went...but the fog remained. Latest TAF said 1400 the fog would lift. While waiting, it dawned on me...BUGS?? He meant SEA BUGS!! Lobster!! Duh!! I never heard the term.

We had time to kill and headed back into town for some BUGS to go. This guy was BIG but he wouldn't fit in the box that would fit in the RV.
_DSC0086.JPG

We packed 10 BUGS into a travel cooler and went back to the airport. We waited another hour or so. The next TAF came out and said fog til at least 9am the following day! Damnit! I had already untied the plane, loaded baggage, etc. Now I had to unload the plane, tie her down and find a hotel. We got a taxi back into town and checked in. I guess there are worse places to be weathered in but I was worried about the BUGS diing before we could deliver them. Oh well.

Back in town we got to see this kid break the world record for Lobster crates. The previous record was 4501. We watched this kid to 6000 crates!! He almost fell in several times but made it!!
_DSC0088.JPG

_DSC0092.JPG

There was a large crowd gathered to watch, even the Seaguls were amazed!
_DSC0091.JPG

As we left, we paid our bill. Amy dropped her credit card...what are the odds it could fall between the planks? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
_DSC0093.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my traveling tip...if you are ever weathered in, just give up, go book a hotel and leave the airport. In less than 2 hours the skies will start to open.
_DSC0094.JPG

With the sun going down, we had to make a quick decision. A call to the Captain confirmed VFR weather over Rangley. We packed our bags and head for the airport once again. The Bed and Breakfast owner thought we were crazy. We checked in just 2 hours before and were already leaving!! We got the plane untied, packed full of BUGS and we were rolling. Punching through a hole we got on top of the clouds and headed west towards the setting sun. It was about to get dark in a hurry. I did't dare go BELOW the layer as the light was diminishing and the mountains were growing. We were over a pretty solid layer as we cleared the highest mountain and I worried we would not be able to get down. Miraculously, the clouds formed a 3 mile circle around Rangley. Nothing but forrest, a half of a lake and a large runway visible for miles. Amy asked in disbelief, "Is that the runway?" I just smiled!!

Vlad has told the rest of the story. I was so glad we got to deliver the Bugs and we all had a great time. The drinks flowed heavily once again but I paid dearly the next day and I apologize to Alfio and Shirley. Surely I was not very engaging that day.

Stick em up, Robster!! :D:D:D
DSC_0122.jpg

Last edited:
Vlad and Tony.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at my little house. Rangeley is a magical place and one really needs to experience it to understand it.

We sure do have fun up there when we can!

Everyone else,

Feel free to stop by when we are there and say hello or stay for a visit! Michele and I enjoy the company and the door is always open!

The airport is only a mile up the hill and we can pick you up anytime we are there!

Also, if you would like to rent the place on your own please contact my agent. Her name is Kelly and the number is on the card below.

bungalowcard.jpg

Kelly will pick you up at the airport, have fresh linens on the beds and in the bathroom, give you the key and take care of the billing.

The cost is modest and you WILL enjoy your stay. The house is in town and everything is within walking distance. You WILL NOT need a car rental.

It makes a great vacation. If you want to see New England foliage, THIS is the trip for you!

Check it out!

;) CJ

Checking Rangeley

Flash Mob Squadron commanding officers convened at the Bungalow this past weekend. After exhaustive debates on the state of RV Union a 5-year plan was forged. Special attention was paid to quality of homemade high octane organic fuel to substitute 100LL. After the meeting was over the apparatchiks went to Moose Alley dancing hall with full bar, darts, bowling to relax after strategic decision making. :D

It started snowing and continued through the night.

Next morning after breakfast we checked the vicinity.

Ice runway in half liquid shape we landed here last February.

Lakes are still covered with hard water.

Helipad by the bungalow in great shape. Do you see it Turbo? Is it big enough for your gyro?

and for those who would like to come here are directions.

Hold heading of 50 degrees magnetic.

after these big hills turn couple degrees to the right.

First you will see the bungalow. Airport is right there a bit to the left.

Here is better map.

Another great travel posting. After seeing photos and the cold, you would think the lure of warmer weather would be moving you to fly South. :D

Turbo,

We have six beds, one cot and the neighbors house as well.

Lots of room and overflow at the B&B down the street!

Hope to see you there!

Let's plan sometime around the fourth of july!

;). CJ

Bungalow

Turbo,

We have six beds, one cot and the neighbors house as well.

Lots of room and overflow at the B&B down the street!

Hope to see you there!

Let's plan sometime around the fourth of july!

;). CJ

Are Southerners allowed??? Wait a minute---Turbo is part Southerner.;) At least I know Vlad!:D

Last edited:
From where I sit (in my hangar, on the couch, beer in hand) you're ALL southerners.

Maine used to be a part of Massachusetts, but we seceded. Of course, we've never been able to stop them from invading every summer...

It's hard to believe but I've been Florida resident for 30 years now. There is still nothing like the great summers of New England. It sounds like there is plenty room for all of us. I'll do my best to get there.

Altitude 163 miles airspeed 1600 kts

View of the Bungalow from stratosphere at supersonic speed.

I saw that you were cruising in thearea this past weekend.

You should have stopped in to visit the neighbors!

I talked Donna into doing my seats!

:). CJ

Hello All,

Come on up (or down in the case of Alfio and our other friends to the even FARTHER north) and spend Saturday, February 1 in Rangeley, Maine!

The Fly in is at Bald mountain, as Vlad has mentioned. The Bald Mountain Camp is located on the eastern shore of Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Oquossoc.

I am allowing people to stay at the Bungalow on a first come first serve basis. My house is in Rangeley proper. I am in town cove in the Village of Rangeley, 1.5 miles down the hill from Steve Bean Muni Airport (8B0).

Any overflow could stay at Bald Mountain Camp or at a B&B in Rangeley.

...interested parties please chime in!

:cool: CJ

I keep looking at the two web cameras, but haven't seen the famous Russian waving to us! It is pretty cool having the cameras to watch the activities. Wish I was there!

Was a great time!

I snapped a couple of pictures while we were up there.

I will post them tomorrow.

Good to see you again Vlad!

:) CJ

A Day of Play

I didn't call any facility and didn't pick up any following. I just climbed over everything and stayed out of everybody's way. The other side of the radio didn't mind.

View of nicely plowed ice airport from 10,000 feet. Independent Republic of Rangeley, Maine just two hours north from Super Bowl XLVIII.

But first things first. Before aerial armada arrives I have to look over the bungalow and check the lake. Maybe I can find my rival who can do 100+ knots on his snowmobile. Here is the bungalow. A truck and a sled are parked at the back. Hmm whuzdat?

Downtown pond has a drag strip plowed and a dozen hockey teams are readying for Sochi Olympics.

Here comes a pack of my rivals. Where is the leader?

Here he is on a 100 kts plus snowmobile and I kid you not. I slowed down to 90 kts and the guy just zoomed faster then me (inserted legalese here) the rest of his pack was far behind. I was told his engine has more horses then my Lycoming.

By the time I landed on ice Captain John was already there. And there was another RVator with a nice painted plane sorry I forgot your name Sir.

Steve Filbeck (sp) the owner, the airboss and super chef. He organizes the flying every year.

Spotted couple spies by my RV.

View from the restaurant.

In less then two hours there were two dozen airplanes on ice.

We departed and made an improvised airshow on request. Nothing stunty but unusual. Everybody liked it. Looking forward for next year.

Airplanes on the rocks.....100 proof fun!

Hey that looks like a lot of fun!!!! The pics are really cool(or maybe more frozen:D). Thanks for another great trip write up Vlad!

200 mph RV-9a

Vlad

I'm the guy with the painted RV, just visible in your last photo. John introduced us just as you arrived. You put in such a good show I had to follow suit with a 200 mph missed approach (taking care to stay legal and 500 feet away from the crowd). Van's a good designer but was way off the mark with the 9. It is faster than comparably powered 6,7,or8. The others sometimes go faster because they are allowed to carry more power. I look forward to flying with you and hope to see you at AOPA at Plymouth this summer.

Vlad

I'm the guy with the painted RV, just visible in your last photo. John introduced us just as you arrived. You put in such a good show I had to follow suit with a 200 mph missed approach (taking care to stay legal and 500 feet away from the crowd). Van's a good designer but was way off the mark with the 9. It is faster than comparably powered 6,7,or8. The others sometimes go faster because they are allowed to carry more power. I look forward to flying with you and hope to see you at AOPA at Plymouth this summer.

Tom, very nice RV9A you have there. Love paint job! Come next year we will do a three ships show :D

PS; Did you get vetted by MikeS btw? :D

Last edited:
Hey guys! Was a great time!

Steve Philbrick puts on quite a gig!

Here is a picture of the six all bundled up. Oil temps were still way over 100 after sitting through lunch!

image_037.jpg

Here is Russki upon arrival...

image_038.jpg

What a fun time! Weather was just right!

Good to see you again Tom!

All,

I will be at the KPYM AOPA Fly in this coming summer. My -7 shoud be in the now infamous Hangar 5. Stop by and say hello. I will have burgers and dogs for anyone who happens by!

I vow to put more effort into attending this event. The Devestator will be converted to long range bomber configuration for the event.

Last edited:
Count me in!

I am not sure yet if I will be spendings the night yet.

Perhaps my 40 will be flown off by then?!?

Hahaha,

Vlad, glad you and Raj made it up!

Your laundry is all done and waiting for you when you come back up! Lol

Too bad we didn't know about the Central Maine flyin that David went to over in Norridgewok last weekend. We could have hopped over there!

Oh well, so it goes...

:rolleyes: CJ

When we are in the Republic of Rangeley we are disconnected from the rest of the world. What a weekend it was! I guess you don't want to see me for a while eh? :D

Last edited:
We checked the Bungalow today. Still there at -2F. Ready for Big 4th of July Party. Who is in? I know at least two Canadians are coming :D

Bungalow%20in%20Maine%20-%201.jpg

Bungalow%20in%20Maine%20-%201%201.jpg

Minus 24 degrees celcius at altitude on the way up there today!

The planes worked well!

Good to see you again Russki!

Back