Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-10-2018, 11:37 AM

I initially used the yardstick method and that's what got me into trouble it seems. Maybe it was too flexible. I thought I had it right, but no.

I bought the full size template from Van's, cut it out with scissors, and traced it onto a piece of plywood. I cut it out with a jigsaw, going slow to try and be accurate. I spliced a couple of vertical strips of ply across it ahead of the leading edge and aft of the trailing edge with 4 bolts in each strip. Then I removed the strips and split the template at the leading and trailing edges. Once the strips were bolted back on, I had a template that I could place at any location spanwise on the wing. Yes, there was a bit of estimating involved, but it did show up pretty clearly where I had an alignment problem that wasn't obvious without the template. I moved the hinges to get the aileron where it needed to be and, with the ailerons clamped in trail, re-adjusted the push/pull tubes to get the stick vertical. I don't think I spent more than about a day's worth of work on the whole project and it made a big difference in how she flies.

Ed Holyoke

Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I could never get any of the templates cut accurately enough to get good alignment on my -6A.

Instead I used two flexible yardsticks laid chord-wise, one on each surface of the wing, and flexed them to meet at the trailing edge. Just envision the flexible rulers as the airflow and get an idea of the top and bottom surface 'smoothness' to this airflow.

As Scott says the aileron is a little 'fatter' than the aft end of the wing so these yard sticks can see if the 'bulge' is equal on the top and bottom surfaces. This method will also check for a top surface skin 'ski-jump'.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Default Template from Van's

Parts Matching Your Search

This is full scale.

Ed Holyoke

Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post
Would you describe your process of building an airfoil plywood template?
Obviously the plans are not full scale.
Do you or I just use the actual finished wing as a male side and extend the top and bottom skin lines back to an intersection point?