VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2018, 03:56 AM

Mel will probably answer himself, but the problem I have with general statements like yours is that there are lots of things to be considered. People who are not experienced in structural mechanics are likely to miss some of them, and those who are experienced enough don't need your reminder.

I'm talking for example about loads in the spar/central fuse whilst on the ground, because there it's the fuse that carries the wing and not the other way round. Or load on the undercarriage ("upping gross weight"). Spinning characteristics (momentum of inertia). Dynamic loads. Plumbing details. Etc.

So while I agree with a statement like "there are advantages in putting the fuel into the wing", a statement that reads to the unexperienced like "the heavier the wing, the better" without detailed explanation might become dangerous.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post

Fuel is carried in the wings of airliners primarily because it is fluid and can take the shape of its container.
I don't claim to be an aero engineer, but that flies in the face of what a lot of aero engineers say....
Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 AM

I got a 7 gallon seat tank:
https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/...mbination.html
It's for an ultralight, but it is well made. I've been trying it in various planes and even on my tractor (!).
It's too wide for a T-18. Fits fine in the back of my RV-8. Would fit a short person in the back of my wife's RV-4.
It has cast in nuts for mounting, but a builder would need to fabricate a mount at the desired seating angle, and install the sump fittings & vent according to your layout.
Right now it sits on my hangar floor looking hopeful...
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrik View Post
Mel will probably answer himself, but the problem I have with general statements like yours is that there are lots of things to be considered. People who are not experienced in structural mechanics are likely to miss some of them, and those who are experienced enough don't need your reminder.

I'm talking for example about loads in the spar/central fuse whilst on the ground, because there it's the fuse that carries the wing and not the other way round. Or load on the undercarriage ("upping gross weight"). Spinning characteristics (momentum of inertia). Dynamic loads. Plumbing details. Etc.

So while I agree with a statement like "there are advantages in putting the fuel into the wing", a statement that reads to the unexperienced like "the heavier the wing, the better" without detailed explanation might become dangerous.
On the other hand, a statement, by someone we're supposed to trust as an authority on these things, that plainly states (instead of being misinterpreted by the reader) that the primary reason that fuel is put in the wings is because it's liquid is both dangerous and total nonsense (and which also could bite the 'unexperienced').
Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
On the other hand, a statement, by someone we're supposed to trust as an authority on these things, that plainly states (instead of being misinterpreted by the reader) that the primary reason that fuel is put in the wings is because it's liquid is both dangerous and total nonsense (and which also could bite the 'unexperienced').
Absolutely.