Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Default Throttle quadrant install

I searched, I really did, but couldn't find the answer to this probably too easy question. I see where the throttle quadrant (and for that matter, side panels) attaches on the side of the cockpit, but I can't clearly see if it is riveted through the skin, on a stiffener or bracket or something else. Could I please get some advice on how this is done? Thank you for your help.
RV-4 in progress
Donated 2018
Old 02-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Short answer: between the bulkhead at the instrument panel and the bulkhead under the roll bar. L shaped sheet metal, kinda looks like an arm rest, between the bulkheads. Quadrant mounts to the 'arm rest', which then attaches to the bulkheads. But kind of a jigsaw puzzle after the various control cables attach to the forward bulkhead. If you'll share your email address, I'll send you a pic of mine. Note that height is your choice. This one is at roughly arm rest height, but my 1st -4 (both purchased from the builders) had the quadrant arms sticking up through the top longeron cap.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 PM

I made a rectangle out of .063 x 3/4 x 3/4 angle and mounted that vertically between the previously mentioned bulkheads. Then I bolted the quadrant to that. An added feature is there is about a 1/8 in gap between the rectangle frame and the skin that is great for holding my checklists, and airport diagrams in.

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82rb
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 AM
Default What I did

I fabricated a fully enclosed side panel and throttle quadrant. I had to rivet a couple small angles to the skin and also tied them into the bulkheads. My quadrant is similar to the "store bought" models, but all hand-built..pretty simple actually. I have lots of pics, but not handy for posting at the moment. Send me a PM with your email, and I will send you some.
Bill E.
41 Aeronca 65TC Defender
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Default mine only to skin

bent up a top and bottom support for quadrant and riveted them to skin
built rv-4 started 1987 finished 1996 now building rv-7, fitting cowl