What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last Pilots n Paws mission for 2012

dmaib

Well Known Member
I got in one last Pilots n Paws mission for the year today. It was a beautiful, clear, cold (OK, maybe cool is more accurate since it is Florida!) morning and the flight was fantastic. Bruce Sacks and his beautiful RV-9 picked up a sweet tempered young Rhodesian Ridgeback named Rita in Bainbridge, GA this morning. Rita had been picked up as a stray and was in a high kill shelter in Bainbridge. Fortunately, lots of people worked to make this rescue happen for her. Bruce transported her to Perry, FL where I met them and took her on to Leesburg FL. where she will enjoy a Happy New Year. I hope all of you do the same!

es83dz.jpg

Bruce Sacks and Rita in Perry, FL

34qveau.jpg

Me and Rita in Perry, FL

2mqwchy.jpg

Rita is anxious to get going!

David and I have gotten together on several of these PNP transports. His location in FLA and mine in GA allow us to get in quality RV time by helping out some furry friends. :)

v407si.jpg

e8287t.jpg

Excellent job.

Maybe we can expand this connection north a bit, too. If we can find someone between Bruce in GA and me in VA, we'll have FL to mid NJ pretty well covered.

Tony, Michele's friend Liz organizes the missions.

When do you want to do one?

You need to do some basic application stuff first.

:cool: CJ

Awesome (with a name like Stalldog, you know that I'm a dog person)! That's one of the things I look forward to doing someday if I ever get this thing built and flying. ;)

Good Job!

Wow, two RV's connecting to transport a very nice dog! I'd like to see more RV pilots get involved in PnP flights. Most of the rescuers are amazed at the speed of a Cessna, but RV cruising speeds just blow their minds!

Way to go, David and Bruce. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are really nice dogs.

It's really easy to become a Pilots n Paws pilot. Just go to http://pilotsnpaws.org and read about it. If you have any questions, just pm me or any of the PnP pilots in these forums. It's one of the most rewarding activities I've ever been involved in.

Last edited:
I've done P'nP missions with my -10 and can handle central/north Georgia to around Charlotte,N.C. and Myrtle Beach areas and westward to the Mississippi river.

PNP

We do these missions...A LOT! Instead of writing down contacts, etc, it is better to use the resource Pilots N Paws. The transport requests will be posted there instead of on here because you will often be flying in conjunction with certified aircraft or (gasp) non-Vans experimental aircraft. Also, when you use PNP, you can download their form (since they are a 501c3) and write it off on your taxes. So not only do you get to fly and save a life, you get about one eleventh back for fuel. In some cases, with the new FAA ruling, if it is offered, you can accept reimbursement for fuel from a 501c. Please read the dialog on the PNP website.
It is very easy to get excited and help out, but please, please, please use the resources, it helps the rescue groups a lot more. I mean hey, I could write down and make drawings of airports, but it is easier to buy or download the sectional....lol. That being said, if you are in southern California, I fly rescue flights normally twice a month and we are combining the resources of two large rescues in Ramona within the next few months. There are two other groups I have dealt with...Lucky Dog Rescue Flights and Animal Rescue Flights (ARF) that transport down that way as well. Good luck, thanks for your efforts, and keep saving lives!

Back