What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog lost in transit.

rsipp

One of my concerns in tranporting dogs for PNP is losing control of the K9 passengers at transfer or delivery destinations. Often, particularly with young shelter rescues, they are not leash aclimated and can escape at the drop of a hat.

Unfortunately it was reported today that a dog was "lost" on the airport and sadely later reported that it was hit by a car and killed. In the same vane we won't transport dogs that are not crated in the airplane after a somewhat scary experience of a mom who was insisting to ride in the front seat. Luckily she was at least leashed and my wife was ready to calm her down.

There is more to safely transporting dogs of unknown disposition than just flying the airplane. Expect the unexpected and handle the passengers with deliberate care and caution.

Dick & Vicki Sipp
RV-10
70 PNP hours & 100+ dogs

Sad news and wise counsel. I'm unprepared to volunteer for the PNP missions right now, but as a life-long dog person, I appreciate those of you who do. Be safe. And thank you.

--
Stephen

I am with you on this, Dick. I have had one dog get loose. Fortunately, the airport was fenced, and we had her puppy and were able to coax her back to us with the puppy. Just about had one get loose on my last trip, as well. It is a really bad feeling seeing the dog run off on an airport ramp. I also will not transport dogs (or any other animal) that are not in crates. I have done it once, and it worked out OK, but the risk is too great for me.

I had a small breed dog get away at the transfer point in NC about 18 months ago. The airport was fenced but I followed the dog for over an hour before someone from the local airport pancake breakfast brought out a sausage pattie for the dog. He stopped for the sausage and I was able to get him. If not the for the sausage I never would have caught him.

Tip: Have a leash for each dog and someone to hang onto it.

John Morgan

In a loud noise environment I would recommend a harness. I once had my K-9 slip his collar on a busy Interstate when he became spooked during a thundershower. I was very fortunate he ran back and jumped into his vehicle and not run into traffic. I never took him into a busy/noisy environment without a harness on after that. A cheap nylon harness can be had for just a few dollars and it could save your dogs life.

If you sign up as a Pilots'n Paws pilot, you can receive dog kennels (crates), collars, leashes, and harnesses. All subject to availability, and subject to your honesty about how much you will use them. ;)

Subaru and Petmate are sponsors of Pilots'n Paws and have donated generously to our cause. :)

If you sign up as a Pilots'n Paws pilot, you can receive dog kennels (crates), collars, leashes, and harnesses. All subject to availability, and subject to your honesty about how much you will use them. ;)

Subaru and Petmate are sponsors of Pilots'n Paws and have donated generously to our cause. :)

First off, a very sad news to hear about. As a relatively new dog owner (from rescue) it made us very sad to hear about this unfortunate accident.

Are these volunteers sought only at your local area or anywhere within US. We have transported a few cats with our RV and would like to help if I can, we are in N. CA.

My only experience with transporting dog is our own which she flies with us without any issues. But we are limited to +/- 50lb and ways to load her as our plane is a RV7A.

Are these volunteers sought only at your local area or anywhere within US. We have transported a few cats with our RV and would like to help if I can, we are in N. CA.QUOTE]

Keep your eye on the forum. There are several PnP stories. Pete Howell got me interested by posting all his rescues and since then we have completed two RV-only missions, one from Bryan, TX, to Denver, CO, and another recent one from Bryan, TX, to Monett, MO.
There's a chance to participate in rescue flights all over the country. If you have the time and the desire, your contribution will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on both the link and this forum if I can help out in any way.

Total control

Sounds like total control would be had with a crate and leash, tied off. A larger crate would be hard to load and unload in an RV. Larger dogs seem like an issue for crates. How do you handle the larger dogs? Interesting.

Comments on PnP flying experiences

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on both the link and this forum if I can help out in any way.

In addition to the previous link for the PnP forums, you can go to the main web page for the Pilots'n Paws group by clicking here. Also, it might be good if you could tag along as "co-pilot" with another pilot who has already flown PnP missions. Just one flight will answer a lot of your questions.

Sounds like total control would be had with a crate and leash, tied off. A larger crate would be hard to load and unload in an RV. Larger dogs seem like an issue for crates. How do you handle the larger dogs? Interesting.

Nick, while I am building an RV-7 (admittedly at a very slow pace), I must admit to you that right now I am using my 172 for my PnP flights. The back seat has always worked out for the size of dogs I've flown. Most of them have been Boston Terriers, and they have flown in kennels. But a very good friend of mine, based at the Moontown airport, has flown over 90 dogs in his 172 in the last two years! He usually uses a harness secured to the seat belts in the back seat for the larger dogs and uses kennels in the back seat for the smaller dogs. I'm not sure if you can see his album without being his FB friend, but he has documented in a photo album every flight he has made since he started as a PnP pilot. In July, 2010, I put out a request on my email list for a pilot to fly a mission that I couldn't make, and Jeff answered and has been flying for PnP a lot more than me. He is also the President of EAA Chapter 190 that meets at the Moontown airport.

There are many RV pilots who fly PnP flights. Some of them are in these VAF forums and some are not. I believe Ron Lee(see post No. 8 above) has transported larger dogs in his RV-7A by loading the kennel bottom half into the baggage area, loading the dog into the bottom half, and then securing the top half of the kennel after the dog is inside. This method would probably require either a helper or a submissive dog. There are a lot of ways to secure a dog in an airplane. In my opinion, it is very important to have a positive way of securing the dog. You don't want FIDO to come up into the front seat with you just when you are ready to touch down. There are, however, several examples of RV pilots who have the dog in the passenger seat, sleeping with his head in the pilot's lap as they travel. :)

Most of the requests for rescue flights are for single dogs (or cats), and I have only made about 10 flights. An RV (two or four passenger) makes an excellent transport because of its speed. I could accept a lot more requests if my RV were finished and flying. And, by the way, contrary to what one of my friends suggested, I have never had a dog get sick or mess up my airplane. Knock on wood. In fact, the dogs have been better passengers than the people I have flown. :D

I hope this brief discussion helps to answer some of the questions that might be out there. Feel free to contact me by PM here if you need more info on Pilots'n Paws. After my heart surgery and the re-instatement of my Class III medical by Special Issuance, I felt a tremendous emotional need to "give back" to others. After each of the PnP flights I have flown, I have felt a tremendous joy from the knowledge that I have played a part in helping a deserving dog find a new home with folks who care.

Last edited:
Don was close. Look at post #5 here

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=63279

What I did was take the large crate on the bottom apart. Place the bottom in then install the top. The door is open towards the passenger side to insert the dog. I am not sure of the largest dog I have taken but it may only be around 25 pounds.

I prefer the "lots of puppies" flights and have a current limit on single dog size/weigh of 40 pounds just due to safety issues getting them in/out.

In addition to the previous link for the PnP forums, you can go to the main web page for the Pilots'n Paws group by clicking here. Also, it might be good if you could tag along as "co-pilot" with another pilot who has already flown PnP missions. Just one flight will answer a lot of your questions.

Thanks, just registered and looking forward to be part of a good deed.

Back