What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone want to help out in the Bahamas??

wacarlton

Anyone want to help out in the Bahamas Feb 16-19??

Prior to the Haiti trip (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81289), we are planning on spending the first few days helping out in the Bahamas.

We'd love to have some VAFers help us out from 2/16-2/19.

We will be departing from KORL (Showalter FBO in Orlando Exec) on Thursday afternoon for Governor's Harbour. Return on Sunday (or whenever you want to leave).

If you have never been to the Bahamas, this is a GREAT way to do it. We will help make it easy, peasy.

Here's the plan...
Thursday 2/16
1200 Meet at Showalter Flying Service, Orlando Executive Airport (KORL)
Meet the Bahamas Habitat team: Prepare your documents, eat lunch, meet the group, etc.
1400 Depart KORL to arrive at Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera (MYEM) by 4:00pm Eastern
We will go through Customs together
1715 Settle in at Camp Symonette, Unload Donations, Orientation
1745 Sunset at the beach
1830 Dinner
1930 Welcoming

Friday 2/17
0700 Breakfast
0800 Work Sites
1600 Beach
1830 Dinner
Community Event

Saturday 2/18
0700 Breakfast
0800 Visit Zion Children's Home
Noon Free Afternoon (Beach, Geocaching Island Hopping-2nd Edition!, Free)
1830 Dinner
1930 Bahamas Habitat Presentation
Preparations for departure

Sunday 2/19
Breakfast will be simple-cereal, etc.-and available when you come for it
0730 Early run to the airport for early departures
0800 Clean Camp
0900 Chapel Service
1000 Later run to the airport

Suggested donation is $350pp for food, lodging, supplies, etc. This donation helps cover the costs incurred by Bahamas Habitat for the event. Your expenses (fuel, donation, etc) are usually tax deductible if that helps out...

More info at http://www.bahamashabitat.org/wordpress/?page_id=7.

Last edited:
No one wants to go to the Bahamas?

Wow, no replies or questions...

I thought the VAF crowd had a few adventurous folks that would like to use their RVs for a good cause while enjoying a wonderful trip with a great group of pilots.

If it's the money that's holding anyone up, I'll cover the donation for the first person that signs up.

We would love to have some more pilots join us. C'mon down - the water is fine. Actually, the gin clear water is absolutely amazing.

-- Will

Wow, no replies or questions...

I thought the VAF crowd had a few adventurous folks that would like to use their RVs for a good cause while enjoying a wonderful trip with a great group of pilots.

-- Will

Well, Will, we have lots of adventurous folks here but they all have day jobs with tight schedules :). I will be in that corner mid March which is too late for your cause. We love long term planning here. Like 5-year plan...:)

Need passport, right?

Yes, you need a passport now. This changed a few years ago.

You also need a customs sticker/decal from DHS/CBP. This usually takes about 2-3 weeks to get after you request it. I can help anyone through this process if you are up for the adventure and have the time.

-- will

Well, Will, we have lots of adventurous folks here but they all have day jobs with tight schedules :). I will be in that corner mid March which is too late for your cause. We love long term planning here. Like 5-year plan...:)

Hi Vlad, I didn't mean to imply that where weren't adventurous folks here. It just surprised me that nobody was asking a single question.

You wanted a plan... OK. Then here's the plan... :D

We do this twice a year -- Spring: Feb/Mar and Fall: Sep/Oct. The dates usually are not typically finalized until about 3-4 months prior to the event. Anyone interested can be put on a notification list so you will hear about it as soon as BMH finalizes the dates. Sign up at: http://www.bahamashabitat.org/wordpress/fly-in-help-out/fly-in-help-out-info/

I flew a lot of missions from Nassau to Haiti after the earthquake with this organization and it's first class. They are great people with a heart to serve through aviation (while having fun at the same time).

-- will

Bahamas

I am in Orlando and have had a friend ask me about this trip a few times. I just eamiled him to see if he is interested in going this trip. We would take a 172 as my RV-9 is a long ways from being ready.

Great!

I am in Orlando and have had a friend ask me about this trip a few times. I just eamiled him to see if he is interested in going this trip. We would take a 172 as my RV-9 is a long ways from being ready.
Mark,
We'd love to have you and your friend! Let me know if you need anything.

If you decide to go, the things you need to do right now are:

1. Make sure your passport is up to date

2. Order a US Customs sticker by mail or online at: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/user_fee/user_fee_decal.xml

I'm hoping to fly our 7A down there next year. Perhaps this fall if we push hard enough...

Bahamas

Friend is doing a Haiti trip early Feb. so won't be able to make this trip. Maybe we will see you in the fall.

The big trip

It sounds like you have your trip well planned out.While my 10 stays
in-country and since I live close to KORL I would be glad to assist you on the ground if needed.

Randy Means
2010 RV10
100 plus hours
Central Florida

It sounds like you have your trip well planned out.While my 10 stays
in-country and since I live close to KORL I would be glad to assist you on the ground if needed.

Randy Means

Hi Randy,
I think we are good with ground support, but if you'd like to go and help out, but don't have a way to get there, I can check with Cameron to see if we can find an extra seat for you. Just let me know...

Will

Back