What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need eyeglasses for Haiti

wacarlton

My son and I are flying to Haiti in February to help with a vision screening project. We plan to screen about 2,500 kids/orphans during the week and need additional eyeglasses. I'll be taking some supplies down there with us, but we also have a number of people going down on commercial airlines.

If you have any spare or old eyeglasses that you'd like to donate to the cause, you can send them to me and I'll make sure they get down there.
Will Carlton
3634 Long Prairie
Suite 108-237
Flower Mound, TX 75022

Tailwinds...

Last edited:
Are you looking for prescription glasses, or drug store "cheaters"---or both??

I would be happy to buy, and donate a card of cheaters to your cause. If so, what power------ 1.5, 2, etc?

Good work you are doing.

Types of glasses needed

I think we are mainly looking for old prescription glasses. Most of the people we will be screening will be kids.

However, I'm sure we will do some adults too. If you have any old glasses, even "cheaters" or "readers", we could use them. The vast majority of the kids needing glasses will require prescription lenses. I'm pretty sure we will have a machine down there to check the prescription of the lenses, but if not, we will try to identify the Rx and label them before we leave.

Several people on the team are optometrists or ophthalmologists.

400469_10150497326066032_574961031_9178741_1347348059_n.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful thing you are doing

I have at least two pair and I used the e-mail connection in your public profile to ask where I should send them.

Bob Axsom

Address for sending glasses

I just set up a mailbox for sending the glasses to. If you'd like to help out, please mail any old glasses to:

Will Carlton
3634 Long Prairie
Suite 108-237
Flower Mound, TX 75022

We can use just about anything you have. We will examine them and determine the prescription. If you have readers, please send them too.

Thanks for helping us out. Y'all are the greatest!

7 pair found

In my treasure drawer (AKA Junk drawer) I found two of my brother Drextel D. Axsom's glasses. Then I found two of my wife Jeanine's glasses on the TV table and in her purse. Last I found one of mine on the TV table, one in my treasure drawer and one in my flight bag. I will have them in the mail Monday.

Good luck in you efforts to help those people in Haiti.

Bob Axsom

WOW, not much action here

I would have though there were a lot of old "got to get perfect glasses before the medical" reject glasses laying around.

Bob Axsom

Thanks Bob!

I found two of my wife Jeanine's glasses on the TV table and in her purse. Last I found one of mine on the TV table, one in my treasure drawer and one in my flight bag. I will have them in the mail Monday.

Bob,
Thanks so much for your wonderful offer. Your and Jeanine's glasses will allow someone who's likely never been able to see well to experience life in a whole new way.

Here's a small portion from an email Tom (an optometrist on our team) sent out this week:
I would like to relate just one inspiring moment: A young man, about the age of 8, came through our screening. Previously, he never had access to any vision care. We found him to be nearsighted in the amount of -13.00 diopters. In my practice, I have only seen a few patients that nearsighted in about 28 years of practice. Everything past a distance of about a foot had always been a total blur to him. We did have a pair of glasses for him. It was truly heart warming to see him looking around and smiling from ear to ear with the realization that he could now, for the first time, see things clearly in the distance. He couldn't verbally tell me what he was thinking, but he didn't need to. The smile said it all! The world will now be a new, and better, place for him!​
I would have though there were a lot of old "got to get perfect glasses before the medical" reject glasses laying around.

I kinda thought the same thing. Perhaps the mention at the beginning of the post about kids is what's throwing people off.

WE NEED ANY GLASSES FOR THE EFFORT.

If the glasses don't get used on this trip, they will be used on the next clinic. Tom just got back from and adult screening clinic in Cap Haitien. I will most likely be headed back down there in May for another effort too.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Gotta go. The RV won't get finished with me sitting here...

Retirees Aren't Sensitive to Holidays

I went to the post office with my package only to find it closed. Will try again tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for the glasses!

I stopped by the mailbox today and found 18 pairs of eyeglasses.

I also picked up a bunch that Jay and Carol collected at Hicks. Bob Avery & Company also donated quite a few. You guys are the best.

Thanks everyone for your help!

will

Thanks to all who helped out!

Seth and I just returned from Haiti after nearly 3,700 nm and 28 hrs in the air.

I'd like to thank those who sent glasses for us to use. We saw nearly 1,000 people (mostly school age children) and gave out 258 pairs of eyeglasses. We had hoped to see about 3,000 kids, but the Haitian government decided to give everyone the week off for Carnival at the last minute.

It was an awesome trip and I hope to do it again next year.

396261_10150598536571032_574961031_9483571_1649039451_n.jpg

420134_10150602331461032_574961031_9493858_641595258_n.jpg

426103_10150602329931032_574961031_9493855_1306665925_n.jpg

431318_10150602328826032_574961031_9493850_2019339716_n.jpg

Back