What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help Request: Pilots-n-Paws - NJ to AZ

PropellerHead

Well Known Member
My dear friend Sharon is active with a local animal rescue/shelter group. I've shared a few stories with her about your successes here and she asked if I could post a transport mission request. This is to reunite a senior dog with her owner. Sharon has enlisted the help of the trucker's network in the past, but this dog would not ride out such a long trip. RV's are fast, so maybe we can coordinate something for her. Any help would be apprecated. Trip & dog info along with Sharon's info is below.

Thank You, Happy Landings, & Happy Holidays!

"Ok, here's what I know. Start point would be Doylestown Airport (but we could switch that to Blue Bell, or Robbinsville, NJ if necessary). End point can either be Scottsdale Airpark or Deer Valley Airport. 1 passenger, female black lab;medium size; somewhat anxious but will be given medication. I will be the contact person. My email is [email protected] and cell is 609-558-8721. Any time in the beginning or middle of February is good. Dog will be going from temporary foster to her original owner in AZ. Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you so much for your help on this. This is a special case because the owner had to give her up temporarily and they will be reunited in February."

Let me make sure I have this right: the owner HAD to give up the dog "temporarily"?? What's that all about? Nobody "gives up" a beloved pet temporarily. That's called boarding. If the owner had to give the dog up, what's to say it won't happen again and in two months this same dog will end up in another shelter?

Call me a cold-hearted pessimist but this sounds like a case of someone who moved across the country, didn't want to pay to move their dog with them, and is now looking for hand-outs.

Lots of discussion on this sort of abuse on the PnP forums.

I'm on board with the PnP cause, and I'm signed up as a pilot on the site, willing to help transport animals. But come on.

PnP

Had a friend who ran a dog shelter in LA...sure, there is some abuse, but there are also perfectly legitimate reasons to foster out a dog temporarily. Health and housing issues are a couple of the top ones. People might lose their house and finding an apartment or even a rental house that allows dogs is difficult.

I don't think a -8 would be the best choice for transporting a dog, but when mine converts from an assembly of parts to a real airplane I'll be happy to give it a try. Probably a better passenger than my wife...and I hope she doesn't read this. :rolleyes:

Update on Owner:

I reached out to the mission originator (Sharon) a week ago for the back-story on the owner of the dog. The information is below. Had some forum troubles posting :-(

I am surprised this went negative so quick or at all.

Some information on the originator first: Sharon is a friend from High School that belongs to numerous charitable organizations. She is a busy mom with plenty to do, yet she participates in Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Awareness walks, and anything that involves the safe care of or rescue of animals. She volunteers with animal rescue / shelter organizations and is a rescue dog owner (x2) herself. My wife and I support her efforts because we admire her energy and initiative, that is the right thing to do, and because she is so selfless.

I introduced Sharon to the many links of P-N-P stories from my favorite site, Van's Airforce. The RV community has shown her and I how great people can be. She has not registered here since she's not an RV person and seems a bit shy posting here among us plane guys, even though I assured her she would be a welcome addition to the community here (interests in RV's or not).

If you feel this mission request does not meet the criteria or spirit of Pilots-N-Paws or it is outside the parameters of what should be posted on Van's Airforce, please let me know and I will remove this post and be on my way.

Thanks All, Happy Landings & Happy New Year!

Here's an update from Sharon:
"Hey Kevin! Owner is a friend of my BFF. Due to divorce, she had to move and has recently been settling in in AZ. Wanted to wait until the birth of her first grandchild ( couple of weeks ago) before bringing Casey out. A fellow Animal Lifeline volunteer has been temporarily fostering her. When owner looked into flying Casey out to AZ, she realized how time consuming and expensive it is and simply can not afford it. Owner has had her for 9 years and desperately wants to get her out to AZ but because of her age, the drive is not possible. That's where volunteer pilots come in. I figured if we could get someone to take Casey back to her owner, they would be reunited and can live happily ever after. :). If you need more info, let me know.
Thanks so much!
Sharon"

Last edited:
PNP

If you can get Casyj to Loveland fort Collins Colorado, I will get her down to DVT in my 7. My wife and I have a big backyard and our own lab so the dog could rest up a little if the weather is a factor.....Dave

One 380 mile leg?

Hopefully, I could take Casey from 2J3 to Pensacola, Florida, on Tuesday 31st, weather permitting.

She could share the back seat with my PT-6 gearbox, to be delivered to KPNS, unless the Southern route would be too far off course.

Best,

More interest?

Any more interest guys/gals?
It looks like Pierre accomplished his gearbox mission so that's off the table.

Any more takers?

Thanks,
Kevin

Any Interest?

I just heard from Sharon, the friend of the owner...

Now that the snow is gone and more favorable spring weather is here, is there a possibility of renewed interest here?

Thanks folks,

Please close thread...

Sharon just emailed me to tell me that Casey passed away. Casey's owner, Sharon, and I would like to thank the folks that tried to help so far.

Thank You,

Back