What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Millie flies from Florida to Texas

dmaib

Well Known Member
We had a successful and rewarding Pilots n Paws rescue on Saturday. Millie, a senior (10 years old) German Shorthair Pointer was adopted by a family in the Dallas area last year. The family later moved to Titusville, FL. Apparently, they had some changes in their life and abandoned Millie. She was picked up by animal control wandering the streets of Titusville a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to her microchip, the rescue agency in Texas was notified and they wanted Millie back. So, Pilots n Paws was called in to action. I picked Millie up right around sunrise on Saturday at the Arthur Dunn Airpark (X21) in Titusville. Dorothy, her FL foster "mom", and a friend handed her over to me for the first leg of her trip.
kcjqbl.jpg

2edtik6.jpg

Two hours later, Millie and I landed in Marianna, FL. (KMAI) I handed Millie over to Earl Shaw. Earl is new to Pilots n Paws and is a Marine Corps student Helicopter Pilot at Pensacola. Nice guy and Millie fell for him right away. Millie also met Billy, who runs the fuel operation at KMAI, where they offer $.50 per gallon discount to Pilots n Paws flights. Nice airport and nicer people.
b4w9s7.jpg

2yonvo1.jpg

25ic4k3.jpg

Earl took Millie to Alabama, where he was met by Johnny and Jackie, who would take Millie on to Louisiana.
20f6ss9.jpg

34htcmc.jpg

14l6bt4.jpg

Johnny and Jackie handed Millie off to Don, in Louisiana. Don flew Millie the final leg of her flight to 52F (hmmm...., that airport sounds familiar).

Millie was reunited with the TX German Shorthair rescue folks. Placing older dogs is harder, but they are confident they will find her a new home. Someone will get a really sweet dog.:)

Last edited:
Very Nice!

Way to go Dave! We miss you in Minne, but so good to see you staying busy by helping some pups down South! I grew up with a GSP named "Mitzi".... Great dogs!

Wonderful

Great story and photos! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to be able to participate. RV9A getting closer to being flyable!

Rebecca

Pilots N Paws Flight

Great job, David! I know it's not always easy to get good photos of the dogs and pilots at the handoff points. It takes some extra effort to get good photos and then write the story. And it takes a lot of effort to coordinate schedules for several pilots. You did a great service for a dog that obviously deserves a good home.

I am presently conflicted with trying to find the time to finish my RV7 versus finding the time to make PnP flights in my 172. RV's make great transport machines for these dogs who deserve a home where someone will love them.

Last edited:
Abandoned animals

Ok, in my not so humble opinion, people who abandon their pets mark themselves as sub human - dogs literally bet their lives on whomever takes them as a family member. So sad.

Ok, in my not so humble opinion, people who abandon their pets mark themselves as sub human - dogs literally bet their lives on whomever takes them as a family member. So sad.

I am with you E.D. They can't tell you they are sick, hurt, tired, hungry, or thirsty. Makes me want to abandon them somewhere I decide.

Photo Magic

Somehow, my photo of Don, the pilot that delivered Millie to 52F disappeared and a photo of somebody's radial engine took it's place, so I cut the engine pic out, but now Don is not pictured. Oh well, internet gremlins at work, I guess.:confused:

Last edited:
Back