What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4 Leaf Clover

petehowell

Well Known Member
The Boxer signal went up on Thursday, a little white Boxie, Clover, needed a ride from Des Moines up to rescue here in Minne. Clover was dealing with a serious case of the mange, and was in some danger of bleeding out due the state of her skin.

The weather Saturday was pretty crummy, but as usually happens, Sunday was a nice one, cool and clear with winds out of the north. I launched early so I could get back to finish the deck and go rollerblading with the wife. The early start gave me a nice view of the Mississip heading into downtown Minne.
IMG_9324.jpg

The good guys and gals at Minne Approach cleared me right on up to 7500 into the bravo where the air is cool and the economy rocks! The Prius of airborne dog haulers!
IMG_9334.jpg

Iowa seems to farm more wind than corn these days - they are sprouting up everywhere....
IMG_9335.jpg

That is Ames, home of my alma mater Iowa State, and Des Moines off in the distance - really a nice day to fly.
IMG_9340.jpg

On the ground I met Jamie and her husband who took Clover in overnight while the weather cleared - she was in pretty rough shape. That's a really nice white Boxer under all that - just sweet as can be. I got all bloody lifting her in, but stuff can be washed....
IMG_9341.jpg

As usual for my K9 passengers, she settled in, took a snooze, and left the flying to me.
IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

DM Approach, Minne Center, and Minne Approach provided expert guidance all day long until I was greeted by Nick in the Tower at KANE who offered up land long 27 and roll to the hangar.
IMG_9359.jpg

Clover is a sweetie and she is in good hands now....
IMG_9366.jpg

Years later......

Pete, I always enjoy reading your posts and especially looking at your pictures. I still remember YOU calling ME (or was it email?) years ago asking me tail section questions. Well now you have been flying for ages and I am still plugging away. Thanks though for the inspiration. Take care pal. Glenn

Tri Pacer

Glenn,

I never had the Tri-Pacer to fly, so I had to finish! Keep plugging, you will be done soon, and it is all worth it!

poor girl, she looks pretty scruffy. Are those silvery scabs, or does she have some kind of staple on her ear?

It's a great thing you're doing Pete. Amazes me a person can let an animal go that long without care.

Clover Update

From the foster mom........

Hello,

She's better already just being in a calm, stable environment. I have her established on a good routine now based on what she can handle as for as pain and comfort. I am not crating her; she a section of the living room to herself.

Per the vet: I gave her a bath by basically soaking wash clothes and laying them on her for five minutes, then lathering her up really good with medicated shampoo for about ten minutes and rinsed. I let her do the shake thing and you would not believe how many of the scabs came off. She's pretty and pink! So many of the scabs on her head, neck and side came off.

Her belly is the tough spot now. People at my apt complex bought her a cooling pad to lay on for her tummy. If I can get her to quit licking it, the vet won't have to get her a steroid shot. We don't want to give a steroid shot. She's clear of heart worms. And she is responding well to the food I am feeding her; she's a chow hound. But we have a lot of work ahead of us.

She's already showing my 7 month old Boxer boy who is the boss around the house and he's teaching her about home life. She just follows him around. He's real careful around her and laid down by her last night.

I will keep you posted

Good Job!

Wow, Pete, I don't even know you, but somehow I feel a kinship to you for your kindness to these Boxers. All I can say right now is that I felt tears coming to my eyes when I saw your posting and photos. What more can I say?

LLoyd Burson

Pete:
You've go to be a Saint! To go out of your way to help a dog in distress is beyond words. One of these days I will get to meet you in person and thank you for your generous efforts.

Thanks,
LLoyd

She's got hair!

Clover is all the way back thanks to some great people at the Boxer Rescue!

Check out the hairy face!!

34871_718376919796_6517226_38641223_5760563_n.jpg

Back