What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lovely Lizzy

petehowell

Well Known Member
Once again the call came in from May at the Boxer Rescue. They had found Lizzy in a shelter and she was not doing well. If you remember Sully, this case is in the same league.

From the Shelter: (sorry about the caps)

LIZZIE WAS REMOVED DUE TO NEGLECT/CRUELTY BACK IN AUGUST 2009. SHE HAD BEEN USED AS A BREEDING MACHINE ALL THROUGHOUT HER LIFE AND MOSTLY LIVED OUTDOORS WITH LITTLE ATTENTION. ONE DAY WE REMOVED HER AND ANOTHER DOG FROM THE PROPERTY AND IT HAS BEEN A COURT BATTLE WITH THE "OWNER" EVER SINCE. THE WOMAN CARED NOTHING ABOUT LIZZIE BUT WAS MAD THAT HER "MONEY MAKER" WAS TAKEN AWAY FROM HER. LIZZIE HAD HEALTH ISSUES OFF AND ON ALL THROUGHOUT HER LIFE AND BETWEEN BEING BRED TO DEATH AND NOT RECEIVING PROPER CARE, THIS DOG GOT WORSE AND WORSE THE FURTHER ALONG IN LIFE SHE WENT. BY THE TIME WE RESCUED HER, SHE WAS AND IS A MEDICAL DISASTER. BUT SHE FIGHTS ON.....

AS AN ADULT BOXER, LIZZIE WEIGHS CURRENTLY 24 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS A WALKING SKELETON JUST ABOUT. SHE HAS BEEN IN AND OUT OF VETS EVER SINCE AUGUST OF LAST YEAR AND MOSTLY STILL REMAINS A MYSTERY AS TO ALL THAT IS WRONG WITH HER. SHE HAS BEEN ON EVERY KIND OF DIET KNOWN TO MAN AND RIGHT NOW IS ON 3 FEEDS A DAY OF PRESCRIPTION CANNED I/D FOOD. SHE IS ALSO ON SEVERAL MEDICATIONS INCLUDING PREDNISONE, TYLAN POWDER, BAYTRIL, ETC....

Lizzy.jpg

We pieced together a 3 plane relay to get her from Akron to Fort Wayne(Rich in a turbo Arrow) Fort Wayne to Aurora (Dale in an RV-6A) and Aurora to Minne(yours truly). Sunday was a great day to fly in the upper midwest and we took advantage of it. There was fog in the big river valley, but clear and a million above it, so I went up to 9.5 to latch on to 25kt + tailwinds.
IMG_9163.jpg

I had the O2 flowin' and the podcasts to keep me busy when Minne Center was not calling traffic.
IMG_9179.jpg

My 9A delivers good economy at this level - here 149kts true (Dynon reads a bit low vs GPS) on 5.8gph.
IMG_9188.jpg

A little less than 2 hours later, I was on the ramp at Aurora.
IMG_9209.jpg

30 min later, Lizzy arrived with Dale in a nice -6A......
IMG_9220.jpg

.....and I got to meet Lizzy, just a bag of bones, but sweet as could be.
IMG_9221.jpg

We loaded up, said goodbye to Dale and the good folks at Lumanair, and headed northwest - I knew the winds were brutal upstairs, so we climbed up to 4K where there was a crosswind and battled the bumps. With the Alt hold engaged - I saw TAS variation from 120-165kts as we rode the unevenly heated air mass roller coaster - Lizzy did not seem to mind - she just curled up and enjoyed the trip.
IMG_9231.jpg

She tucked into my lap for the better part of the trip - this is what it is all about.
IMG_9247.jpg

I think we have a convert to RV travel!
IMG_9261.jpg

I was met at KANE by a nice group of people who will care for Lizzy and find her a home. My wife was very understanding and supportive of the trip on Mother's Day, and thanks to the speed of the RV - I got home in time to make dinner and hang out with her.

More pics here:

Last edited:
Nice Job!

I do hope Lizzy finds a better home than she had before. My hat is off to you for donating your time and airplane for this rescue mission.

Keep up the good work!

Here Here

How people can live with themselves to treat a georgous animal like this is beyond my comprehension.

Lady if your reading this I hope you are truely ashamed of yourself!

Frank

A few more pics.....

Here are some arrival pics back in Minne...

She really is a tiny thing....
Lizzie2.jpg

but she is in good hands now...
Lizzie3.jpg

Pete you are just awesome!!! Thanks for doing all this and for helping give all these boxers a chance at life!

- Peter

Nice story Pete!

Glad to hear this had a happy ending. I can hardly believe what people do to animals:confused:.
I think that Papa Hotel is building up some seriously good Karma. Not to mention the pilot too.

It always amazes me that dogs seem to know who the good guys are... the way she seemed to "take" to everyone who was helping her.

You have to wonder how they know, but...somehow they do...

Lee...

Awesome job everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Hats off to all of you for getting Lovely Lizzy to a new home. Its really sad to see animals treated like that. Hope she makes a full recovery!!!!!!!! She def looks happy in the RV flying. :)

THANKS PETE, YOU guys Rock!!!!

Thanks Pete for the complements about my -6 but all of you that took part and the time to get Lizzy in good hands is totally Awesome!!!!!!! I don't get on VAF much other than to check out what everyone is up to. Cheers again for the rescue mission!!!!!!! :)

Lizzy - Rest in Peace little girl....

Just received the following note:

Hi Pete, Rich, and Dale,

It is with great sadness that I'm writing that Miss Lizzie went to the bridge today. We had some new testing done and found that she had a mass in her throat, and her intestines were extremely inflamed, as well as a few other medical issues. She was in a great deal of pain, and we felt the kindest thing for her was to let her go and finally live free.

Thank you all so much for your kindness to her...she knew nothing but pure love the last months of her life.

Back