What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanda and Buttercup

petehowell

Well Known Member
I got the call from the Boxer ladies mid-week that the puppy mill owner down by Worthington, MN just dropped off two girls that were not meeting his needs any longer. They had a new home back here in the cities, but needed a ride. The weather finally cleared up and Bernie offered to fly wing in the Bonanza, so off we went!

Gusty winds, but great visibility on the trip down...
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20007.jpg

We land and Bernie meets the girls...
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20010.jpg

Loading 2 dogs that had never seen the outside of a kennel was interesting. Once seated, the nervous drooling started. Good thing coats can be washed.

Wanda's not so sure about this plane thing on the taxi out....
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20015.jpg

Bernie departs Worthington right behind us....
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20019.jpg

Buttercup (up front) settles in, but Wanda looks like she has heard about how I fly...
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20023.jpg

Wanda: I ain't layin' down....
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20025.jpg

Buttercup seems to enjoy private plane travel...
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20031.jpg

Wanda learned to like it, too....
Buttercup%20and%20Wanda%20051.jpg

APRS tracked the action for people dropping off dogs at Worthington and picking up the pooches at Anoka...
Location%20of%20KD0CVN-1%20-%20Google%20Maps%20APRS%20-%20Google%20Chrome%2010312009%2062053%20PM.jpg

2.2 on the hobbs, 2 Boxers with a brighter future, and some quality time on 122.75 with a good friend - Not a bad day! Find all the pics and captions here.

Last edited:
Proper Job!

Pete,
You are a man among men for volunteering your RV and time for the cause of those two unfortunate dogs. I never really pondered the fate of "puppy mill' dogs until about 3 years ago. My wife and I got a 12 week old West Highland Terrier whose feet only touched the ground when someone was viewing him for purchase. Since then, I have become a big supporter of the CA West Highland Terrier rescue group. We adopted a 2 y/o female last year and every time she comes to me with her tail wagging and ball in her mouth, I get a great feeling of a good deed done!
Maybe we need to organize a VAF canine transfer service?

Pilots-n-Paws

Hi Mark,

The pilots are pretty well organized already. Check out Pilots N Paws . I have worked with both them and the local Boxer rescue. My theory is, if you are gonna burn some 100LL, help the dogs out, too. PNP has a way to deduct some of your costs(all caveats apply to do your homework)

I've met some really nice people thru both organizations, too.

Now this is a great idea...

Pete,

.....Maybe we need to organize a VAF canine transfer service?

...for us to do. I'd be in in a skinny minute. Every time I read Pete's travel stories on behalf of our lovely critters, I feel a huge admiration for him and others that do this.

Thanks, Pete,

Flying with dogs (a bit off topic)

Great story and pics. I've been thinking about flying with our small dog.

It's looks like you did not take any extraordinary measures to secure the dogs. I took our dog (25 lb bijon/poodle mix) for a taxi test last weekend and he did fine. I been waiting on taking him on a flight until I figure out a good way to secure him - for his safety and mine.

My current plan is to install a tie down ring on the aft baggage wall and use a short leash attached to a harness. I think a soft crate would be better but we've never been able to get him to go in a crate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. We also bought some Mutt Muffs for him

I took an 80 pound dog in a 152 for a long trip, i was taking him to a his new home from bend to las vegas. I had him in a crate in the back, he got sick. Both ways. Next time (if there is a next time ;)) I'll make sure to exercise them a lot so they are tired and empty! Pete do you or the people that have the dogs before you pick them up give them calming drugs or herbals?

And NEVER give money to the humane society of the united states (HSUS)!

Dog Preparation

The dogs are usually prepared by no food for several hours, limited water, and and some Benadyl. That combination, a scratch under the chin, and the steady "purr" :p of the Lycoshaker usually puts them right out. A good run and potty break is a really good idea before the flight. Once settled in, the dogs have never moved, unless it is to pop their heads up after landing. Yesterday, Wanda and BC did not move at all until after we had shut down and put the RV back in the barn.

I have an old moving blanket as the floor mat in the RV in case there are any accidents:eek:

I would be careful if the dogs were golden retrievers. I have had 2 goldens that got so excited about going somewhere (in the back of my pickup, fortunately) that they would poop half a dozen time before I got 20 miles down the road. The only way to prevent this was to take them for a ride at least a couple times a week.

Don't blame the breed (goldens that is). I'm sure my wife would do the same thing if I tossed her in the back of my truck.

George
Happy Golden owner (that is owner of a happy golden and happy to own one too)

RE:Great Day

Pete

The story made a great day better for me. And the pictures were priceless.

Thanks for your service.

Frank @ 1L8 and KSGU ...RV7A... Flying:D

Good job, Pete! Animals have been cherished members of my family since before I was born (1954) and have been an almost constant part of my life.

You can tell a lot about a person by how he treats others in need.

How do you get them IN?

I still haven't figured out how to get my Golden into the 9A tipup. Not sure why I would want to yet . . . but I'm sure it will happen.

Rescue dogs -> good thing.

Rick 90432

The dog whisperer!

My wife picked me up at KANE on Saturday and said "I saw two boxers at Pete's hanger." I told her the dog whisperer must have been aloft today. HA! As always...way to go Pete!

My wife picked me up at KANE on Saturday and said "I saw two boxers at Pete's hanger." I told her the dog whisperer must have been aloft today. HA! As always...way to go Pete!

Yep, Pete definitely has a handle on getting his passengers to enter the "passive submissive" state of mind. ;)

Nice numbers on the tracking!

Pete,
Not to ruin the beautiful depth of this post with statistical questions but did I see 186 mph on the tracking screen you had up? Thats about 162 knots. Pretty darn good. What kind of fuel burn and wind were you dealing with? Now, with that said, let us return to a deeper state of mind.

Securing your dog

Great story and pics. I've been thinking about flying with our small dog.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. We also bought some Mutt Muffs for him

Here's a harness that attaches to your seat belt. I have one of these I use in the car for long trips with my wiener dog/terrier mix. It secures her well but still lets her have the flexibility to lie down or look out the window.

http://www.ruffrider.com/

6 gph

I always burn 6 GPH in XC cruise. The 186mph on the way back was clearly wind aided! The trip down on Saturday was slower. 6 GPH at 4000 ft gets me about 143 KTAS true. It will get me about 150 KTAS up at 9000ft. Those are both LOP, using carb heat. I am pretty happy with the results.

The Rocket drivers can stop snickering anytime now.............

Pete,
Not to ruin the beautiful depth of this post with statistical questions but did I see 186 mph on the tracking screen you had up? Thats about 162 knots. Pretty darn good. What kind of fuel burn and wind were you dealing with? Now, with that said, let us return to a deeper state of mind.

Wanda

Just received a note from the nice lady that took in Wanda, and several other puppy mill rescues, that Wanda died today. She had several great years in a loving home.

Thanks to all the guys and gals here that combine a love for flying with a love for animals.

Rest in Peace, Wanda........

Last edited:
And thanks to you, Pete, for caring enough to give of your time and expense to help provide a better home for Wanda.

Sad to hear of her passing but good for you and the others who gave her some good years. Keep up the good work, Pete.

Back