What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

We need a dog.....

petehowell

Well Known Member
Our trusty, much beloved Boxer, Boo, turned 11 recently and we realized we were living on some borrowed time with him. When his predecessor passed, the entire family (especially my wife) went into a 6 month funk. Unbeknownst to me, she has been looking for a pre-placement dog for the family and told me last weekend that I needed to fly to Sioux Falls to check out a young Boxer in a rescue program she had found on-line. Needless to say, It did not take much arm twisting to get me to agree.

Today was a bit windy, but a really nice fall day in the upper midwest. The ever present co-pilot Kate was on hand again to spot traffic (she embarrasses me every time) and confirm the dog was a family fit.
Meet%20Liv_062.JPG

I went to work extra early and Kate met me at the airport late afternoon. We launched into 40 kt headwinds, but it still beat driving. Flight following called more traffic than ususal as we made it to Y14 in about an hour and a half. We landed, and got a chance to meet Olivia.

Meet%20Liv_042.JPG

Meet%20Liv_050.JPG

Pretty obvious she will become part of the family. I realize this is not a dog board, so here is your RV content and inspiration. SF is about a 4.5 hour drive from Minne. In the -9A, we made it there, met the dog, and were back at home in less time than that with similar fuel economy. The O-320 still runs great LOP, here we get 154kts true on 6.1GPH - at 7500 ft on the trip home. 48 kt quartering tail wind = 171kt over the ground - woo hoo!

Meet%20Liv_066.JPG

As for scenery, it is easy to see why the coasters call it "Flyover Country", but the rich colors and long shadows of a warm fall evening have a certain appeal that I think everone can enjoy. (More pics here)

Meet%20Liv_072.JPG

Just before landing, we were treated to a great sunset - a nice way to close out the evening!

Meet%20Liv_107.JPg

Overall, 4 hours with Kate, 2:46 flight time, 16 gallons of 100LL, and a new best friend!

Last edited:
Pete, excellent photography as usual!

So, another little RV/Boo the dog story. Last year, I was at the hangar, as were Pete and Boo (the old dog). Boo was hanging around Pete, but then Pete had to run an errand. No problem, I'd keep an eye on Boo. I was working on connecting an audio wire from the Zaon to the audio panel, so was mostly sitting in the pilot's seat. I sensed someone watching, and was slightly surprised to see Boo laying on my little piece of carpet just below the boarding step on my plane. I guess I was the next "best friend" available when Pete was gone.

Only drag is, Pete, you'll probably have to drive the car (gasp!) to Sioux Falls to get Olivia.

No RV grin for the dog......

We need to complete some paperwork to get custody of the Olivia. It should be done in the next few days and Andi will drive, or I might fly, to pick her up.

Nice write up

Always enjoy reading about your adventures, Pete. Can't wait to have a few of my own. As usual, beautiful pictures.

Good luck with the new dog!

Pete are you sure you can make the flight without Kate? ...I think she's logged more time in the -9A than you have this summer! :D

Great Story Pete! We're looking forward to meeting Olivia!

- Peter

Pete,

Good to hear you found one but bummer you won't be flying down this way to pick her up.

Last edited:
Tea, SD is a favorite place to stop for me. Great people, tons or RV's, and from what I hear great dogs! Congrats!

Why we love Boxers....

Posting for Allen Barrett....

Hi Pete and Kate,

Pete I saw your post on VAF this morning and I just had to send pictures of our girls to you and Kate. The flashy is Cookie. We adopted her from Boxer Rescue here in Tulsa last May. She was 18 months then and big as a horse! In fact she trots like a quarter horse. She had little human contact when she was a baby so her people skills a lagging, but she is a sweetheart and loves her new Mom and Dad.

P1000144.jpg

The fawn is Roxie (Rox when she is behaving, ROXANNE when she?s in trouble). These two are something else.

P1000008.jpg

The one pic of Cookie laying out is believe it or not a normal occurrence. She has the weirdest sleeping positions. Anyway, enjoy your new buddy. She looks like a great kid.

All the best,

Allen Barrett
BPE, Inc.

PS- I would have posted the pictures on VAF but I don?t know how. If you want to show this response feel free.

Nice looking pooch Pete! The pictures from the plane were top notch as usual! I look at those and it just makes me want to fly. Maybe if I tell my wife I am going to look at puppies in South Dakota I will be able to fly more often!:D

Ahhh... Now I understand the trick (moderators). I'll take my dog up flying this weekend, take some pics. Then I'll post....

Dog Loading Techniques???

Man, I've been forgetting to ask this question for years... My wife and I are 'Dog People' and her utopia of flying would be with our two dogs: one black lab named Sarah, and one terrier mix named Maggie. Ok, I think it'd be cool too!

Maggie being small seems to be a no brainer. But I've often wondered how I would load Sarah into my -7 for family outings. She weighs 80 lbs. I've taxied with her before, as a test, and it was easy enough to pick her up and let her kinda crawl over and into the space where I'd removed the right seat. (She did fine on the taxi, BTW)

But - once my beautiful -7 has it's quadrillion dollar paint job, and with the seat and wife installed for a cross country, I'm cringing at the thought of her scratching the side paint as I heave her over the rail and into the baggage area. Or flailing around trying to wriggle down the back side of the seat-back and into the baggage area and scratching the aft canopy or interior or instrument panel, efis..... (I could worry for pages).

Should I load her without the seat, then replace the seat, then load wife, baggage, Maggie? I'm not the tallest human around and it's a bit of a stretch for me to lean over with 80lbs. at arms length while not crushing the trailing edge of the flap with my shins.

What are some techniques and best practices out there from those who've been doing this in -6's, 7's, and 9's?

Pete I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My family loves boxers and we think that they are the single most greatest pet on the planet. Our 5 year old Layla looks like a perfect twin to olivia. Looks like you found yourself another great dog.

Doggie Delivered......

Well, the paperwork and the weather cleared this week, So I headed off to Sioux Falls to get the new dog! It was an easy trip down at 6500 ft with a 90deg crosswind from the south. On the way into the pattern at Y14 I got a nice hello from someone that knew my name on CTAF - sorry we did not get to talk more - drop me a PM if you are on the boards.

After a quick snack and bio-break in the FBO, the foster dog mom arrived and we loaded Liv into the seatless and stickless passenger side on an old sleeping bag.

Photon%20Bazooka%20017.jpg

She was a bit anxious, but quickly settled down and snuggled up to my leg.

Photon%20Bazooka%20020.jpg

Once we leveled off at 5500 for the trip home, she got downright comfortable.....

Photon%20Bazooka%20022.jpg

Since she was doing so well, I went to economy mode and saved a gallon or two. That's 32 statute miles per gallon at 154 smph. The post-it tells you I know myself well enough to worry about leaving the O2 on............

Photon%20Bazooka%20047.jpg

Soon we were home. She slept the whole way and perked up as we turned final. Hmmm - just like my wife. She is already a big hit at home.

Liv%20001.jpg

The Best part is that Andi and Boo are happy.
Liv%20002.jpg

Pete,

She is a really nice looking puppy and looks like she has already fit in to the family.

Wish I had pictures

Congratulations, Pete! And thanks for taking on a rescue dog. Paul and I are contemplating doing the same in the near future.

I'm curious if you secured the dog in some way. When I flew my malamute in the same position for the hurricane evacuation, she was drugged AND I ran the seat belt through her harness. (I do wish I had taken pictures!) As I wouldn't contemplate throwing a dog over 50# in the back, with or without passengers :eek:, and I don't want a dog getting excited and moving around in the front with me, I'm wondering how I might bring the contemplated Siberian along on my commute. The ear protection (I used cotton) is obvious. But, is there a way to secure an alert, medium to large size dog in the co-pilot's seat of a -6?

Anyone have a proven technique?

Bit O' Valium

Hi Louise,

I had her leash around the center flap housing and seat back bar in case it was needed, but it was not. The rescue people had given her a bit of valium (with the vet's blessing) to take the edge off, too.

She looked up on takeoff and sat up on landing, other than that she slept on my leg.

Good luck with you doggie delivery!

Dog Loading Techniques??? (take two)

As I wouldn't contemplate throwing a dog over 50# in the back, with or without passengers :eek:, and I don't want a dog getting excited and moving around in the front with me, I'm wondering how I might bring the contemplated Siberian along on my commute. Anyone have a proven technique?

Louise,
I've asked a similar question on this very thread... with absolutely zero replies (2nd page, 3rd post). So maybe you and I can figure it out again, then post our results for the rest.

I was wondering about your comment concerning "a dog over 50# in the back..." Is this a CG worry? My thinking was that the baggage area is rated for 100#, and doesn't this loading get fully tested in Phase I? (I haven't gotten to the weight / CG testing part of Phase I yet)

... As I wouldn't contemplate throwing a dog over 50# in the back, with or without passengers :eek:, and I don't want a dog getting excited and moving around in the front with me, I'm wondering how I might bring the contemplated Siberian along on my commute. The ear protection (I used cotton) is obvious. But, is there a way to secure an alert, medium to large size dog in the co-pilot's seat of a -6?

Anyone have a proven technique?
Louise,

We put our 55 lb bulldog Torque in back of our -9, along with luggage and have never had a problem with the W&B or handling of the plane.

DSC_0030.JPG

He has never been secured and has always been well behaved, except for that one time he was licking the back of my neck on landing. A distraction but not a big deal.

To get him back there I have to remove the right seat and slide him under the horizontal bar.

I don't figure that I'm smarter than Van

Louise,

We put our 55 lb bulldog Torque in back of our -9, along with luggage and have never had a problem with the W&B or handling of the plane.

Bill, thanks for the real data point. Van says the -9 is rated for 75# in the baggage compartment, so Torque is within that limit. I'd probably feel comfortable with a 50# dog in a -9. Clayton, the -7 is rated for 100#, as you pointed out, so maybe a large dog in back would work.

My -6 is only rated for 60# and I usually have at least 10# of stuff (i.e., fire extinguishers, canopy cover, oil, tools, etc.) kicking around the back. Not feeling that I'm smarter than Van and always wanting to be prudent in my flying, I chose to follow his limits. Besides, I've felt the unwieldiness of the -6 on landing when I was up against that 60# limit during my final flight from D.C. to Texas. I didn't like it and chose to land at the bigger, nearby airport instead of our home airpark. I don't want to try any more weight in back.

So, I guess it is a <50# dog next time, building a -7, or tell Paul that he'll have to give up his seat to the dog. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

GREAT NEWS PETE!!! Glad the flight went well and Liv enjoyed the ride! Beth and I can't wait to meet her!!!

- Peter

Bill, thanks for the real data point. Van says the -9 is rated for 75# in the baggage compartment, so Torque is within that limit. I'd probably feel comfortable with a 50# dog in a -9....
Louise,

This has always been a point of confusion with the -9. My manual lists the max baggage weight at 100 lbs and that is what I have tested and flown it to. With Torque and baggage in the back (cloths for a weekend and my tool bag), I've been right at 100 lbs w/o any problem. Remember, the -9 is much more stable than the -7, partly because of the HUGE HS and elevator. Thus is feels much more stable in pitch with an aft CG than the -7 does.

BTW, on the way to OSH this past summer we had two 220 pounders on board and 100 pounds of baggage and were still w/in weight (1750 GW) and CG with my -9. Tell Paul you are going to build a -10 together, keep his -8, and put Mickey up for adoption. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

No family station wagon for me!

Tell Paul you are going to build a -10 together, keep his -8, and put Mickey up for adoption. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

Yeah, Paul suggested that one awhile back but I vetoed it. That would mean that I would be stuck with the family station wagon (RV-10). No thank you. Paul offers the Val to me to fly, but I know it will always be his. Instead, we're planning a -3. I guess one of us can fly Mikey (or Val) and the dog while the other rides the wing in the -3. I suspect that would cost less all around (build, maintenance, and fuel/oil) than having the -8 and a -10. It will be a lot more fun, I think, too! :D

With Nora about to complete her 9 month QB any day now, I have suggested I build a -3 and then she can take the -9, "The Boy", and Torque and I'll simply follow in the -3.

I'm thinking owning both the -9 and a -3 has got to be a lot cheaper than building and owning a -10. So far she is just not buying it.

Thus I'm thinking of building something completely different, something like a Warner Revolution. That should keep me out of trouble for a few years.

Man, talk about thread drift...

Please!

Let's focus back on the cute dog :p ...... The moderators are gonna kill the whole thread.

Time for one more gratuitious engine monitor shot......:D

Here's how I load my 70# golden retriever in the baggage area. I bought a couple of rubberbacked bath mats/rugs. One goes on the wing walk area and the other goes over the side of the fuselage. I remove the passenger seat for loading access. The first time he wasn't sure what was happening but now jumps right in. For CG purposes, I remove everything else from the baggage area. Try this link for pictures of the process.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tacaruth/BennyAndAirplane#

Good Luck!

Tom, RV-7A Flying

Scouty has gone West..........

Nine and a half years ago, I met a best friend and discovered a great new use for these flying machines we love. Then named Olivia, a little Boxer rescue, Scout came into our lives via a plane ride in our family's magic carpet.

Kate was just a little girl then, but she made the executive decision that Scout was coming home. Since that time, Scouty, even with all her quirkiness, wormed her way into our hearts, especially that of my wife, Andi.

It was especially hard to let her go this morning, but we know like all good girls, she goes to a better place. I'd like to think that finding her started me, and several other VAFers, on the path to perform many rescue flights all over the country.

She truly was a good girl, and we will miss her dearly........

O5TMBIYWHim90Wkox2mm7jR2dNB0eDMy3DozLE8-HKAUVGRKk8sTEu9fFDT27wuK6ihcDKWbGcPSkuxK2yItAucEwOJPkURSrf-PIJNJVILhKCaYKKE2dtyw4YNM4sVUdZR4ZZ_1xzShIeuqvqa_8-jawI1wf4Ratuj_EiENAVbrFijWGLaR36QzW5r73RYlwf2HNfPdOvYyi8PqUv11aajn_GA_kRfgQJzgryw_6cQy3AQIOVz4AYmxmOnOgh7F49OVY9SQG8Jqhwotwb9l8rJLx6N3zYYfmiwQ4DWkZS41Roq0lMCUfHOwSuoQBFrViKTraldyxI98NoucRq95Syt8y0veWqSu6cYeqdE2rz5RRdi4UD57PTfXJECeamPZmLIE68AR0PsQobGzXfgWV-VmtLFeV70BAb-jcbNVUhNihMdQ0MgYO0NC6PUgrFDqTbIypPcmZpWX_6xPT1C2uYxzjw1rC40wSAjWrQXrzQ52YgCddBBK8E-nb_81fQo8Dx7o2RGRLI1Z56LoTgyWqzIclZfB2foM05cFq4d4pOw99it1YfHfpFpmBskjF6aXtmYGpIhcZKKlh0OHrOsXl7TdblahEDJ5x4wMIiIfstSrnoFInll9PgoVBGN9ajtWwCh-d-1_1V41GX3Dunt2mXO6SRW3RB33Yw=w1201-h901-no

Sorry to hear this Pete. I am not a dog guy but know how special they are to people that have them. I'm sure you will miss her.

Condolences

My deepest condolences. I know that pain having lost our puppy after 16 years. It took four years to start looking for another. Boxers are awesome. We wanted a similar disposition but in a small package. After numerous attempts to adopt a Frenchie or Pug rescue, we finally decided to buy from a breeder. Our tiny Pug came home with Parvo. Poor thing was 1lb when we rushed her to the hospital. They saved her and she's our constant companion. Sweetest dog that's ever owned me. Breeder was very upset and refunded the sale.
I started walking again. 2 miles a day. She loves meeting people and dogs.
Mia (Amelia) says she's very sorry.
2uhya68.jpg

So sorry to hear it. We're boxer people too and we've had two. Our #2 (Aggie) is about 7 and I'm coming under increased pressure to secure a 2nd.

Your pictures from when she was younger looked so much like our #1 (Ginger). We lost her when she was 9. We are still good friends with her breeder. I miss all the dogs I've had in my life.

Great Thread. Sorry to hear of your loss. We have adopted a couple of older (4 year) boxers... and are on our 5th boxer now (well, we have 3 in the house).

Would love to hear more about your deliveries and organization - can you PM any info?

Sorry to hear of your loss Pete. We lost our puppy a week before Christmas and the gut punch is still horrible. Hope you can find some joy from other sources to get you guys through. We surprised ourselves by adopting another after only 3 days. Kinda feels like cheating but it gives purpose to the leash and dog bowl. The new baby floods our hearts but sure doesn't heal the wound. Parrot's live 80 years, not so cuddly though.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I don't often comment on these forums, but as someone who has enjoyed your posts in the past and especially those related to dog rescue, I feel compelled to offer my sincerest and deepest sympathy. It is easy to appreciate that you and your family have greatly benefited, as have I, from the companionship of dogs who give so much
and ask for so little. Perhaps you will find some comfort in the knowledge that you have provided the best possible life for Scouty.

Take care,
Joe

Pete,

Sorry to hear of your loss. So sad, my condolences :(

I know when my boy, Boris (8 yr old German Shepherd mix), goes to that big dog park in the sky, I?m going to be heartbroken for quite some time. Told my friends/coworkers they?ll know when he passes away because they won?t hear from me or see me for 30 days mourning.

We lost our two Hungarian Puli, Ziggy 3 years ago at age 15 and Mowgli 1 year ago at age 13.

Mowgli we had to put to sleep because of a very aggressive cancer that we tried to fight but it beat all of us. Making the decision to put Mowgli to sleep was the hardest thing my wife and I had ever done.

We still think about our two boys almost daily.

My heart felt condolences to you.

I know your pain....

I've had four boxers, all four are gone now. The most wonderful animals on the planet.

I've decided against another. I just don't think that I can go through it a fifth time....

My thoughts are with you and are glad you have another to help.

Verry sorry for your loss Pete.

You were the one who started me on PnP with that trip.

Take care buddy!

Thank You

Thanks to everyone here for the very kind comments. They are much appreciated, and I have shared them with my family.

So sorry to hear that Pete. I've been blessed with many wonderful best friends disguised as pets. Some were rescue pets because they rescued me. A few of them were so much a part of me that I cried a torrent of tears as I held them as they passed. Sometimes at night I still find myself reaching over to the spot where my pal Dixie used to sleep. She helped me through some of my darkest hours.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but happy to see you'll have a new family member in short order.

I adopted my first dog two weeks ago, and am already in love with my 10 week old lab (named Rivet). If you and the pup are ever in the vicinity of Hicks I've got a dog pen and plenty of treats!

Back