What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angel Flight

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
While it might not be know too much. The SE division of Angel Flight does allow the usage of experimental planes to flight patients since 2014. Provided your IFR qualified and your RV is IFR equipped. We have several on the board here are involved with this effort.

If this sounds like a calling, the blessings are immensely gratifying.
Plus it does qualify for a 501(c) Tax credit.

Smilin' Jack

Yep. Been doing this in my RV-6 and RV-10's for many years. They are a wonderful group at Angel Flight Soars. And making one of these flights every once in a while will put your problems in perspective.
Very rewarding.

Vic

Angel flights

While it might not be know too much. The SE division of Angel Flight does allow the usage of experimental planes to flight patients since 2014. Provided your IFR qualified and your RV is IFR equipped. We have several on the board here are involved with this effort.

If this sounds like a calling, the blessings are immensely gratifying.
Plus it does qualify for a 501(c) Tax credit.

Smilin' Jack

Could you provide me with some contact information as I tried several years ago to get involved with Angel Flight here in central Florida. At that time I was turned down because of the "Experimental" category airplane. Thx.

Could you provide me with some contact information as I tried several years ago to get involved with Angel Flight here in central Florida. At that time I was turned down because of the "Experimental" category airplane. Thx.

Ivan, if they reject you, I'll trade you straight up for my new (to me) C182.

Angel Flights West (I'm near Seattle) doesn't allow experimentals for patients, but does let you use them for other missions (ferrying blood, etc). I'll be joining in the fun as soon as I wrap up my CPL. Likely all the better for me as I'm still waiting for really small dogs to come up on Pilots and Paws. Not much room in the back of the RV4 :)

Might be something to check with other Angel Flight groups about that don't allow expirimentals.

Sorry I took so Long to respond,

Angel Flight
2000 Airport Road
Suite 227
Dekalb Peachtree Airport
Chamblee, Ga 30341

Bernadette Darnell
Director of Mission Operations

Office:770-452-7958 X 2
Fax: 770-452-7391

I've used my 10 on three trips so far for the Flying Samaritans in support of their clinic in Baja, and the airplane has represented well and I've had a wonderful time.

Angel Flight Central

I spoke with Angel Flight Central yesterday about using my RV-10 for patient transport. They said that their board had recently revisited the use experimentals but had decided to continue their existing policy of not allowing them.

Angel Flight Australia

Angel flight Australia has also placed the "No Experimemtal " on their list of aircraft types.
When I started building my RV10, they allowed Experimental Aircraft, but by the time I finished , they no longer support them.
To my knowledge, here in Oz, there was no incident or accident that lead to the exemption of Experimental Aircraft.

I read some time back about someone approaching Angel Flight with the intention of putting the Rv-10 in a special category for Angel Flight.
Something like ,

RV-10 IFR only with PIFR pilots
Min hull hours: 250hrs

In Australia , CASA records for 2015 show 48% of all NEW single engine aircraft registered were Experimental. This trend is only increasing.

So with the ever shrinking and deteriorating GA fleet, what will it take for Angel Flight to have enough comfort to let well equipped IFR RV-10's join the service.
I know it is a liability thing for Angel Flight, but the shear volume of flight hours that the RV-10 is amassing must mean something to them.

There are so many good aircraft with good pilots ready to serve,how can this be fixed ?
I wish I understood what sort of fuzzy legal letter they require so they can sleep at night !

Maybe some legal types here can offer a path forward.....

Last edited:
They must have enough certified planes and pilots that they don't need to open it up to experimental.

There may be some practical reasons such as many experimentals are small and not the easiest to get in and out of - like 9 9A. I know the 10 or even the 14 are much more accommodating.

Angel Flight has to consider the feelings of the person being transported who may balk at getting into a plane built in a garage. If they qualify for Angel Flight, their medical condition is probably scaring the heck out of them already and don't want to add to their fear.

Personally, I believe a 10 or 14 is a much better choice than a 50 year old Cherokee or 172. I am amazed that 48% of all NEW single engine planes in Australia are experimental.

At some point, I can see them allowing experimental just because all the other planes are scrap.

Last edited:
NEW registrations

The latest data from CASA shows 48% of NEW registrations of single engine aircraft are Expermental.
Sorry for the misleading info, I have updated the post.

I have flown a few flight now in my RV7 and what the SE Angel flight loves is the speed that I can get the patient to the hospital city.

Except for a small foot stool to help them get onto the wing Nobody has had a problem getting into the aircraft or out.

I think time will teach the different boards of Angel flight and more and more will allow the use of experimental aircraft.

If you have made it IFR which is a requirement here in the SE Atlanta area
and you have kept your self up to date it is quite an accomplishment.

Lets hope more get real about experimental aircraft.

Jack

Back