VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Default news from the rumor mill ...

omg can we puhleeze stop with the speculation on RV-3 pitch force reversal during high-G maneuvers? In the 20-odd years I've been flying my -3 (and in many acro-formations and dogfights with -4s, -6's and -8s) nobody ever encountered pitch force reversal at any G rating. And we've all got recording accelerometers so we all knew where we were at while yanking and banking. Let me tell you how fast the speed bleeds off in a five and a half G turn in a dogfight ... yeah, just about that fast (been there, done that), unless you are putting on the G while going downhill, and I guarantee you don't want to do that unless you are a master at aerobatics - speed builds up in an RV on the downside faster than you can say "Jimminy Christmas!". I don't want to hear about any RV3 drivers going out to try this unless your ship was FULLY TESTED during phase 1 for high-g maneuvers. We had too many wing separation accidents in the '80s to risk enticing third or fourth-gen owners of RV3's to go out and yank on the stick like King Kong. DON'T DO IT. All respect to John Harmon and his Rockets.

- Steven
(1000+ RV3 hours ... another one last Saturday!)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:53 PM

An acquaintance at IAC judging school is "plans building" a Harmon Rocket. He built the longerons from over sized angle and milled them down between the fire wall and empanage ends to keep the edge distance requirements as mentioned.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highflight42x View Post
omg can we ******* stop with the speculation on RV-3 pitch force reversal during high-G maneuvers? In the 20-odd years I've been flying my -3 (and in many acro-formations and dogfights with -4s, -6's and -8s) nobody ever encountered pitch force reversal at any G rating.

snip

All respect to John Harmon and his Rockets.

- Steven
(1000+ RV3 hours ... another one last Saturday!)
Steven:
I have not flown an RV3, so I can't say one way or another. I am not speculating either; I am only repeating what John Harmon told me. Could be his version had an aft CG? Smoke oil tank in back? Dunno.

He did turn one into a crumpled pile of aluminum in performing a snap roll at takeoff...could be he knows what he speaks of?

Don't shoot the messenger, even if you don't like the message.

Carry on!
Mark
Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highflight42x View Post
omg can we puhleeze stop with the speculation on RV-3 pitch force reversal during high-G maneuvers? In the 20-odd years I've been flying my -3 (and in many acro-formations and dogfights with -4s, -6's and -8s) nobody ever encountered pitch force reversal at any G rating

John Harmon is a pretty respected individual and has had lots of experience with RVs through the years, so if he suggested that something was happening at a high load factor I'd tend to believe him although details (weight, CG, etc) are missing.

Last edited by ChiefPilot : 04-27-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Baby Rocket update

OK what Have I done, got a -4 engine mount with long gear, IE 6" longer than RV-3 therefore I had to cut it in half and weld it back together to move axles forward 3.5 " ,not a simple job!!! came out great one problem though was in rotating them forward created toe in 1/8" more than recommended. Going to live with it ,could be bent out though. Got a spinner from a Rockwell 112A, OMG it is huge. Got RV8 firewall weldments The uppers will work perfectly but the lowers won't thought I could modify them. Too much work, easier to make new, working on figuring out the firewall shape now A rocket firewall looks good but the footwells are too deep and will hit the mount. I would like to know the thrust line of the Rocket mount but not on the Rocket drawings. A lot of work for little progress but carrying on.