What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suge Delivered!

petehowell

Well Known Member
It has been awhile since I have done a rescue flight for the Boxer Ladies, but when they called about Suge, I was happy to help. Suge got hit by a car on the Bluegrass Hwy near Bardstown, KY and broke both his hind legs and pelvis.

IMAG0510.jpg

DSC_0175-1.jpg

He was in pretty rough shape, but the vet here in Minne said he could fix him up, so trains, planes and automobiles were mobilized to get him North. Laura drove him from Bardstown to Indy where Mike picked him up in his Classic Cherokee 140. Mike was a big part of the Sully rescue a while ago.
IMAG0513.jpg

2 hrs later Mike pulled into the pattern 2 min after me at Rochelle, IL - the skydive and crop dusting capital of the world tonight!! There were turbine planes everywhere.... On the ramp, almost ready to go:

Suge%252520Flight%252520001.JPG

Everyone contributed to the Rochelle Sanitary Sewer District and then we loaded up. The crate did not fit in the RV, so we gently moved Suge to the floor of the plane. He and Mike both look ready to go!

Suge%252520011.jpg

Kick the tires and light the fires!

Suge%252520Flight%252520011.JPG

We endured crummy visibility and battled rain showers on the way home, but nothing too serious at all. Even with a busted up back end, this is one of the nicest dogs I have seen. We shared pretzels for dinner, then he snuggled up and napped:
Suge%252520049.jpg

Later on, he wanted to to fly...."Dog is my co-pilot" There - I said it.....

Suge%252520042.jpg

The unload at Anoka came off with out a hitch....

DSC_0160-1.jpg

I think this big fella is gonna make it......

Suge%252520017.jpg

Last edited:
Your posts always get to me, Pete. Very touching story, and what a sweet dog. Thanks for posting this.

Stirring..

It never ceases to amaze me....how my feelings get so easily stirred by this story and the happy ending!

Thanks much,

Awesome story. I had a rescue scheduled but it fell through so I am still waiting to do my first one. Stories like this get me fired up to try again!!

Good show, Pete! Looks like you had the longest leg as well! I hope you're getting a discount on your fuel price. :)

Way to go Pete!

Once again, Job well done. Handsome looking dog too by the way. I got a kick out of "dog is my co-pilot." Keep up the good work. By the way, we were having a picnic at KANE last night and we watched you arrive on 36. The kids were jumping up and down saying "There is PETE OWELL!!"

Once again, Job well done. Handsome looking dog too by the way. I got a kick out of "dog is my co-pilot." Keep up the good work. By the way, we were having a picnic at KANE last night and we watched you arrive on 36. The kids were jumping up and down saying "There is PETE OWELL!!"

Owell's are the best flyers! My best to your wife and kids - swing them by the hangar, I have more maps for them!!

Thanks!!

Thanks Pete. As others have mentioned, the stories are emotional. After losing my dog a little over a year ago, I really want another. But my work schedule is not fair to a pet. When I'm done working, I'll get another dog. In the meantime, I'll enjoy your stories and cherish the memories of my dog.

Great work Pete!!!!

Vet Update

From the rescue coordinators.........

Suge will have to undergo 2 surgeries. His bone injuries are extensive. As well as the open wound. Dr. Scanlan is putting together a plan, and we will go from there.

Later in the day.........

Suge endured 2 broken back legs. :( The one he has weight bearing so there is a 50/50 chance he will have to have surgery on it in 4-6 weeks. Femoral Head Resection on the leg that was broken mid shaft as well as a pin. Pelvic fracture will be watched, probably will heal itself. Surgery was 3 1/2 hours long and he will stay at Otter Lake for his full recovery.

Last edited:
Good on ya!

Good job, Pete. I had a pilot tell me the other day he didn't want to mess up his airplane interior by flying a dog. :eek:

I've flown about 10 dogs so far and haven't had a problem with a single one.

Keep up the good work. Because of your first flight, many of us in the VAF forums are now PnP pilots. Hope to meet you someday.

Thank you for keeping us informed.

Wow, what a heart he must have. I hope he has a home to match.

Must be a good feeling Pete!! Great job! Still looking to take you up on the offer of a hangar and/or lodging if I ever make it to Minn.

BTW, the offer is reciprocal in NJ (Philadelphia) if you ever make it out here.

Last edited:
Great Picture

There is no better man than Pete. My wife and I rescued a boxer in our neighborhood with the help of Pete. This dog today would be dead without his help.

Again, I will be 2nd to say, put this in the calendar.
Great Job Pete. Keep up the great work and the stories coming!!

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
Taswell, IN

Sugie Healing Up!

His foster Mom says:

Here are some new pics of Suge. He is amazing! And he is healing very nicely. :)

DSC08992.JPG

Like most Boxies, so ugly he is cute.....

DSC08997.JPG

Ugly??...No way, Pete! That is one handsome boy, and I am sure that he will find a great "forever home" with humans that appreciate him.
Great job on this!

What a difference time and good care makes in a face! From flying for treatment till now...his eyes and ears say it all!

Ugly??

OK, not RV related, but a fellow VAF'er called a Boxer ugly. Them's fightin' words!!! Here is a photo of mine when he was a baby, ten years ago. How can THAT be ugly??? :)

2j0mt09.jpg

OK, not RV related, but a fellow VAF'er called a Boxer ugly. Them's fightin' words!!! Here is a photo of mine when he was a baby, ten years ago. How can THAT be ugly??? :)

2j0mt09.jpg

Chris - I have 2 of them at home - Love them to death - maybe I should have said unconventional beauties rather than ugly!!!

The one on the left looks a little stoic:p

Rick, yeah, he is. He was our stand-in for the six months between when we lost #2 and got #3, Dudley, our current Boxer.

Chris - I have 2 of them at home - Love them to death - maybe I should have said unconventional beauties rather than ugly!!!

Pete, agreed! :)

When I retire I hope to sell my -4 and have enough income to purchase a -6 or -7 and then fly Boxer's, or any needy critter, to new and loving homes. Not sure if that could be done in a -4...

OK, enough of the mushy stuff, let's get back to RV's!!!! ;)

Suge Update!!

Suge was adopted by the dog groomer that works with the vet that fixed him up - great story all around!

Here is a note from his new family......

Suge is doing fantastic! He is walking more and more on his leg and healing very well. Suge is being a typical puppy and trying to play more than he should, poor baby. We have had some potty training struggles but we have worked through them. :) He is in love with my 4 year old daughter, Azura. Follows her everywhere, brings her barbies and sleeps with her. It couldn't be a better fit! Suge is on food 3x daily to help him gain weight and will be getting his pin removed next week sometime.

Hey Pete,
Ever hear anything further of what became of Suge? Hearing how good they turn out is good motivation for continued rescues. I haven't heard a thing about the 2 pups I helped...maybe I should send an email.

Suge Update......

Just heard from the rescue coordinators. Suge has recovered and is doing fine, but is "overly active" and will be going back into the program to find a home better suited to his "personality".

Back