What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South East Georgia/FL Round Up/Scheduled

rsipp

OK folks the Georgia/FL/PNP round up has been scheduled for Sunday 2/21.

Don't consider the event limited to RVs or PilotsNPaws pilots so tell your friends and invite them to come.

Jekyll Island, www.jekyllisland.com is unique amoung the Georgia barrier islands. It remains mostly underdeveloped and pristine. It's main attractions include the Historic District and Hotel, Georgia Sea Turtle Center www.georgiaseaturtlecenter.org and the unusual Drift Wood beaches on the North and East shores.

The airport is 09J Jekyll Island Airport and located on the west shore of the island. http://www.jekyllislandairport.com/
CTAF: 123.0
NO FUEL
Inbound air to air 122.75
Inexpensive fuel is available at KJES Jessup Georgia about 30 NM west.

The airport manager advises if landing to the north plan to touch down at the approach end or a little long past the trees on the left if there is a wind from the west.

The Plan:

10:00-11:00 AM Arrival, socialize, look at airplanes.

11:00 free shuttle to the Historic District for brunch.

There are two choices: (1) a fabulous brunch in the main dinning room at $29.00/person. There is no dress code for this meal but it is an upscale facility. (2) The moderately priced Cafe Solterra serving deli style pastries and meals. Limited indoor seating is available and ample seating on the veranda. The Cafe is also at the Hotel.

Other available activities include:
Jekyll Island Museum - free
Historic Distric Tours that include the interiors of two of the old cottages. Tours start at 11:00, 1:00 and 3:00, the cost is $16.00. These leave from the museum.

Georgia Sea Turtle Center $6.00. Very interesting center explaining the life of coastal sea turtles. At 1:00 they provide a guided tour of the medical center describing what is happening with each of the animals undergoing rehabilitation.

There are also a number of art and souvenir shops, also in the Historic
District. For those wanting to see more of the Island there are Red Bud electiric vehicles for rent at the airport.

There are a number of other historically significant locations on the Island.

Please send a private email rsvp to [email protected].

Please view this as an informal get together to enjoy our planes and a beautiful island. Feel free to enjoy what ever you are most interested in on the island.

In the event the weather looks marginal we will post an alternate date on Friday afternoon the 20th.

Tailwinds
Dick & Vicki Sipp
RV-10 N110DV
cell 989 948 5452

sounds like a good time

I will be in condition inspection mode, but hope you enjoy the island in any case. Wish I could make it

Hopefully.....

....my 430W installation will be done soon and we'll meet.

Google "Red Bug motors" for a phone number to reserve an electric car at the FBO. Richard van Iderstein runs the facility when he's not driving a Delta mailing tube somewhere:) and he's crazy about RV's.

Left traffic for 36, right traffic for 18,

See ya,

One reminder...

...for you guys flying in...if you've never been to Jekyll before, expect quite a bit of turbulence if the wind is either from the west or east. It comes tumbling over the trees and can be a fun ride, the last ten feet or so.

We might need to make reservations for the group at the Jekyll Island Club since we could have 20-30 people.

Best,

I'll call the hotel to make sure the vans will be available and alert the main dinning room to the possibility of ~15 folks assuming maybe half would opt for the fancy brunch.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Dick & Vicki Sipp

...for you guys flying in...if you've never been to Jekyll before, expect quite a bit of turbulence if the wind is either from the west or east. It comes tumbling over the trees and can be a fun ride, the last ten feet or so.

We might need to make reservations for the group at the Jekyll Island Club since we could have 20-30 people.

Best,

Looks like great weather:
Sun
W winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming S 10 to 15 kt. Seas 1 foot or less...then 2 ft.

Do ya'll allow RV wanna be's???????

We'd be insulted...

Looks like great weather:
Sun
W winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming S 10 to 15 kt. Seas 1 foot or less...then 2 ft.

Do ya'll allow RV wanna be's???????

....if you didn't show up!!:)

Which RV has your interest? I'll gladly give you a left seat opportunity in my -10 if you'd like.

Best,

....if you didn't show up!!:)

Which RV has your interest? I'll gladly give you a left seat opportunity in my -10 if you'd like.

Best,

Thanks very much! Man, ya'll are a very nice bunch! I've been readin' the forum for a few months now and I'm bout ready to pull the trigger on an "8" (or at least a few parts). Plannin' on a tail-draggin fast-back........ My Honey baby and I might see ya'll there......This will be the first time I've been close enough to touch one......

Tim
N3159F
KJES
RV-8 Wannabe.......

Thanks, Tim..

...there are several RV's at Eagle Neck airpark, 30 miles south of Savannah on the Harris Neck road, including a couple of -8A's. I'll see if I can find a phone # since it's a gated community.

Best,

...there are several RV's at Eagle Neck airpark, 30 miles south of Savannah on the Harris Neck road, including a couple of -8A's. I'll see if I can find a phone # since it's a gated community.

Best,

He has a plane I think he can fly over the gate.:rolleyes:

The best point of contact at Eagle Neck is Wayne Owens at (912) 832-6778. He's the de facto gatekeeper. Failing that, try Jeff Anderson at (912) 342-2322.

Last edited:
The best point of contact at Eagle Neck is Wayne Owens at (912) 832-6778. He's the de facto gatekeeper. Failing that, try Jeff Anderson at (912) 342-2322.

Thank ya'll very much! Are these the folks with the 8-A's? We spend a lot of time down that way. I'd sure like to see/ride/fly one. Also, will there be any 8's at Jekyll this weekend?

Thanks for the help!

Tim

Not sure...

....but Wayne Owens has a -9A and I know of two flying -8A's there. Jack Eckdahl lives on the runway edge and has a flying -9A also.

BTW, the houses sure have dropped in value there and this is a real buyers market! Quite a few for sale with beautiful marsh views and some with tidal creek access as well. Undoubtedly one of the most attractive airparks in the Southeast with all the moss-covered oaks and beautiful views.

Best,

....but Wayne Owens has a -9A and I know of two flying -8A's there. Jack Eckdahl lives on the runway edge and has a flying -9A also.

BTW, the houses sure have dropped in value there and this is a real buyers market! Quite a few for sale with beautiful marsh views and some with tidal creek access as well. Undoubtedly one of the most attractive airparks in the Southeast with all the moss-covered oaks and beautiful views.

Best,

Pierre,
Where have you seen new prices? I have kept an eye on the properties there for a couple of years now and haven't seen any price decreases. Especially on the ones with marsh views.

Thanks,

Pierre,
Where have you seen new prices? I have kept an eye on the properties there for a couple of years now and haven't seen any price decreases. Especially on the ones with marsh views.

Thanks,

Just checked with HoneyBaby, she says the drops have been mostly on the interior lots, not so much on the ones with the marsh views. But, if your lookin', she can help! As Pierre said, it's definitely a buyers market......

Last edited:
There are two...

Just checked with HoneyBaby, she says the drops have been mostly on the interior lots, not so much on the ones with the marsh views. But, if your lookin', she can help! As Pierre said, it's definitely a buyers market......

....on the west side with tidal creek acces that have come down in price, one which Dick Sipp built himself. Probably the most beatiful home there....started out at over $900,000, now down to $750,000, still overpriced.

The other one, also with a hangar and two-car garage, is down in the $400,000 range.

My wife looks at Multiple Listing services for the area and finds these prices.

Best,

Thanks, Pierre. I had been watching them for a while. But, with no change over several years, I hadn't looked lately. I'll take another look.

....on the west side with tidal creek acces that have come down in price, one which Dick Sipp built himself. Probably the most beatiful home there....started out at over $900,000, now down to $750,000, still overpriced.

The other one, also with a hangar and two-car garage, is down in the $400,000 range.

My wife looks at Multiple Listing services for the area and finds these prices.

Best,

Sounds like it may be time to make'em an offer. We love it down there and have had a place since the 70's. My parents now live down there full time.

This isn't a photo of an RV but, it still get's my heart pumpin' big time.
"Tailin' Red Fish" not far from Eagle Neck........
TailingRed_edited-1.jpg

They are ready

for all you guys on Sunday. I was there today for a great lunch at the Jekyll Island Club. The fellows at the airport have all the Red Bugs Charged..

Wish I could join you but I had to be there a couple days early to blaze your trail. I'm going back to Darien next week for a 4 day fishing trip. Hope the reds are running there too.

PS.. The fuel at Alma, KAMG, is $3.50 a gallon. Cheaper than KJES.

My apologies for semi hyjacking this thread into Eagle Neck. Ann Fuller at Eagle Neck forwarded her Eagle Neck web site, it's www.flyinhome.com.
Reminder, if you plan on having brunch Sunday in the main dinning room give them a call and add your name to the list, just mention you are with the flyin group. 912 635 2200 or 800 535 9547

See everyone Sunday.

Tailwinds
Dick Sipp

Property

Here's some info on our property at Eagle Neck Airpark. If anyone is flying down to Jekyll Island on Sunday, I'll be there RV9A, N489JE. I'll have a few flyers available and if you want to stop by Eagle Neck on the way home, just let me know. take care, Jack

Eagle Neck Home for sale. We're not on the marsh but we are on the runway. Here's a link to the Aviation Classified adds and a link to some pictures of our home. It was built in 2007.

http://www.aviationclassifieds.com/viewads.php?ads_id=8425&mainmenu_id=19

There are plenty of pictures at the following site:

pictures at: www.snapfish.com
login is: [email protected] and
password is: hannah

It was definately a perfect day! I had a great time. It was good to meet the fellow RVers that I haven't met before and it was great seeing some old friends that I had seen in a while! Thanks for posting the pictures. Again thanks to Dick for getting it organized. Jekyll Island is going to be my new favorite place to fly to. It's so close that it is only a $50 burger run.

Mary and I had a great time. It was nice to meet so many folks and I agree with Todd that Jekyll Island is now one of our favorite places. Really cool little airport and town.
Thanks to Richard at Red Bug Motors for providing complimentary GEM electric vehicles to the RVer's and to Dick Sipp for putting this together.

Pics & Info wanted about Jekyll visit airplanes

09J is a nice place to fly to.

There were some great pics of the airplanes attending.

AV8Magazine.com is looking for pics / info of interesting homebuilts, particularly RV's, for a monthly 'Reach for the Sky' feature about homebuilts.

How about the guys who visited Jekyll starting the ball rolling and sending in some pics and info about the airplanes. Send them to [email protected]

You can find out more by going to page 64 of the present issue (Feb).

AV8Magazine.com is a free monthly online magazine - just register and check it out.

Back