What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Pup's Second Chance

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Inspired by Pete's stories of doggie transports and my own desire to fly a new mission, I volunteered to fly a Golden Retriever pup for Pilots N Paws from Taylorsville, GA to Tampa FLA.
pilot.jpg

In Taylorsville, I met Amy who rescues pups from the local shelter. This little 8 week old guy just recovered from a bout of parvovirus which almost killed him. He is still thin but is eating normally now.
amyg.jpg

I brought a cage for him to ride in.
ramppup.jpg

All set to go on my first, and his too I'll bet, flight with a dog/human.
preflite.jpg

Nervous passenger? Perhaps, but he handled it very well.
pupflite.jpg

Approaching Tampa we could see the Gulf coast.
gulf.jpg

Upon landing, we went to the grass on the side of the ramp where he did his biz and soaked in the warm FLA sunshine. Good doggie!
grassit.jpg

You can see where the vet shaved his arm for the IVs.
laygrass.jpg

Continued Below....

Last edited:
continued...

We were early so we relaxed at the FBO at Tampa Executive.
fbo.jpg

Diane, who is with Mid-Florida Retriever Rescue, met us there.
dianee.jpg

Diane was also there to meet a flight of 5 pups who flew in an SR-22. It got me thinking - "Just how many dogs are in the air at any given time?"
sr22.jpg

Feelin' great during the two hour trip home I sang along and played air guitar to the XM music! (good thing nobody could see, or hear!) Even did a victory roll in the -9!

Recent rains in Georgia left lots of agua on the ground.
garain.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!

This doggie thing is catchin':)

Congratulations and blessings for what you and others do.

PM me her contact info please,

Thanks,

Just Awesome!

Way to go Bruce!

Not that I am competitive, but I think the -9 guys have the lead in doggie rescues! Throwing down the gauntlet to the -4, -6, -7, -8, -10 and -12 guys to catch up! Not sure how the tandem guys would do without access to the pooches in back - but worth a try.

This is a contest with no losers......

dr - anyway to have a scoreboard for this sort of thing on the site?

Anyone have experience with something like this in the -8? Or -4? I'd love to help out, but I'm not sure the tandem guys would have a chance (oh, and I'm only on my tail kit..). :)

Kudos to you all.

RV8-MH

Mutthauler......

No problem.....

I brought a Cane Corso-52 pounder--back to Texas last week. Removed rear seat, seat back, and the rear stick.

Made a box to go over the stick attachment apparatus from UHS-ubiquitous hangar scraps.

Muttley rode in a travel carrier, a tentlike carrier with all soft sides. You could also carry a large crate but it might scratch things up.

Something like this: http://www.discount-pet-superstore.com/dog_crates/imperial_folding_pet_carrier.htm

That is one lucky pooch! Parvo is normally fatal to dogs. I had a pup that we got at the pound that had parvo and we did not know it. Two weeks later he had to be put down. Went from perfectly healthy horse of a pup to nothing in a week.

We tried to save him at the animal hospital and he cost me a bunch of airplane parts but I was glad to have him as a pet for a week...

PUPPY RESCUE FLIGHT

Way to go Bruce

I don't know if there is such a thing up here in Canada but if there is one I would like to know and participate if possible..

I will have to modified my -4 for it but what the heck, any reason to go flying..:)

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

Definitely a good deed!

Sign me up...when I finish my plane. Getting a pilots license...10 grand, building an RV...MANY GRANDS, using your RV to help man's best friend...priceless! It's nice to see all the generosity, I guarantee there are many happy people and pooches because of you gents.

That puppy doesn't seem to realize what he's gone through. Looks happy enough! Kudos for volunteering and changing a life. :)

Great Organization

My wife and I have owned two golden retrievers from GRRMF (Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid Florida). It's a wonderful organization, and like many of these groups, way too many dogs and not enough owners or fosters. Those if you in Florida, check it out!

www.grrmf.org

501c3

Pilots and Paws has 501c3 status now and your expenses can be tax deductible.
I have scheduled to fly another on Monday. Of course, this can get very expensive quickly for the pilot. My rationale is: 1) I am going to fly anyway, 2) This is my time off from work, 3) It is tax deductible, 4) It helps others, especially the dog :)

Monday's flight will start in Ocala,Fl. where my sister happens to live. She will meet us at the airport for lunch. Then on to Pensacola to drop off the dog and perhaps a visit to the Naval Aviation museum. What a great combination of missions in one trip!

Here is a link to a recent CBS story.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5964522n&tag=related;photovideo

Last edited:
Very Moved

I have been reading the threads about animal transports and have decided to make that a reality in my life. Thanks for sharing your stories. I am a new 10er and am looking for my soon to be DAR appointment.

Randy Means
N595RV

Bruce,

Don't forget about Taylorsville International when you're in town! It's a great alternative to those "big city" airports!

And there's plenty of places for the dogs to poop before takeoff. :D

We are spending 3 months at St. Simons Island, GA. getting out of the snow in Michigan. This area is very active for the Pilot N Paws group. Our first flight was a Pointer and 13 pupies from Bainbridge GA to Tampa.

Another puppy liter flight scheduled next week.

Dick Sipp
RV-10 N110DV

Like your paint job. If I build an RV12 I plan to do it in OD with a big white ARMY on each side of the fuse. What paint did you use?

Back